Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #360 on: July 13, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
You're probably all right in your views on this, but you are overlooking one major aspect of my "problem"... the problem is that I enjoy the LIVE PROCESS, and when the process becomes boring (as in PROGRAMING the arrangement), I quit... no endorphines released to keep the focus...

That is a skill i do not have... that "taken for granted" skill to keep on working, even though I feel bored with what I'm doing... that's a major difficulty for autistic people in general... if stuff does not interest me, I quit and do what DOES interest me... which in my case is starting something new and exiting... that is why I end up with loads of riffs, but VERY FEW finished longer projects. Going back to a riff to work on it? yes, tried it many times, I never get the urge to mess with them again, I'd rather start out something completely new... that will be where my focus are, and I am unable to shift it (compare it to kids waiting to open Christmas presents... really hard to shift focus!).

But I also know that it is not a time limit... it's not because I cannot do 10 minute or even 70 minute scores, I just need to ENJOY it all the way thru... and the only thing I really enjoy about music making is playing to backing tracks... but I grow bored if I have to create 70 minutes of backing tracks, track by track... it has to be fun, and cutting and pasting, and scrolling and editing is just not fun. Neither is recording one instrument at a time for 10-70 minutes.

I have no problem layering small loops, track by track until a climax-loop has been done... i could create dosens of these in one day and have fun with it... this is why I hope that making short sequenced loops and playing to these live will allow me to have more fun creating the whole arrangement as a play along, changing things along the go... I know that you get some limitations using this technique, and that it demands some good live skills, but that's just a challenge, not boring... it makes a track a bit more chaotic, more human with imperfections etc.. but that can be ok as well, I've seen lots of people jammin' like this on the net.

Summa summarum; I like PLAYING, not editing... I enjoy the PROCESS of playing live... I dislike programming an arrangement, I want to PERFORM it.

Hope this clears things up a bit... :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2017, 05:45:32 AM »
I've been reading this with interest, because dealing with tedious tasks is something that I've faced, as well.

The way I see it, one of the differences between a professional pursuit and an amateur one is that the professional always must carry on through the tedious parts of his or her craft. The amateur has a choice.

The older I get, the less I want to deal with tedious parts of musical pursuits. I value enjoyment over the breadth of things my instrument can do. I don't care about "covering all the bases" anymore.

There's one tedious thing that I'm still willing to do, and that's notation. MuseScore and QuNexus make this easier than it used to be. And notation is (for me) absolutely non-negotiable.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »
Summa summarum; I like PLAYING, not editing... I enjoy the PROCESS of playing live... I dislike programming an arrangement, I want to PERFORM it.

It does! - And having to create 70 minutes of backing tracks and cutting and pasting, and scrolling and editing is indeed no fun all by itself.

But as you clearly prefer the live and performing aspect of making music, you should just continue to focus on mastering the devices you use live and/or look for loopers that could make that situation easier for you, like the Pigtronix Infinity Looper for example, if you don't mind using your feet as well. Most of the more advanced looper pedals allow for layering, jumping back and forth, adding and deleting loops in real time, and more. I don't know what you already use in that regard, but that would be one technical suggestion. The more you are able to perform with virtuosity on such devices, the more you can just perform a whole arrangement live. And if you want to share one of those instant compositions afterwards, you might only have to cut the beginning and the end of the recording, render the file, and you'd be done. That way you could keep editing necessities to a bare minimum and move on after 5 minutes.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »

It does! - And having to create 70 minutes of backing tracks and cutting and pasting, and scrolling and editing is indeed no fun all by itself.

But as you clearly prefer the live and performing aspect of making music, you should just continue to focus on mastering the devices you use live and/or look for loopers that could make that situation easier for you, like the Pigtronix Infinity Looper for example, if you don't mind using your feet as well. Most of the more advanced looper pedals allow for layering, jumping back and forth, adding and deleting loops in real time, and more. I don't know what you already use in that regard, but that would be one technical suggestion. The more you are able to perform with virtuosity on such devices, the more you can just perform a whole arrangement live. And if you want to share one of those instant compositions afterwards, you might only have to cut the beginning and the end of the recording, render the file, and you'd be done. That way you could keep editing necessities to a bare minimum and move on after 5 minutes.

Exactly :)

I have been thinking about loopers many times, but honestly have never tried one out... maybe such a looper (as a pedal for example) inserted into the inserts of my four mono channels could be an additional way to "sequence" the four monosynths, and then still have all the filters, sends etc. from the channels adjustable on the fly.. in fact it would allow for better capture of wild performance controls like bender, wheels, footpedals etc. than a simple sequencer would.... I could actually have both active at the same time if I wanted to, and I'd be able to overdub the same synth more than once making polyrhythms with the monophonic sources... cool idear! thanx! I'll surely look into that!

The four stereo synths on the other hand I do not want to sequence or loop... they are meant to be the four sounds that I want to play live or trigger as drones, so sequencers or loopers are not needed here.

I guess that the only thing I'll be needing in addition now that I think of it, is some way to introduce percussion and sound FX... that would have to be sequenced for percussion, and vocal phrases/sound FX must be triggered from some pads on the fly... I may have to sacrifice one stereo channel for this device... only irritating thing about such a device is that it will do more than one sound, and all played from it will be run thru the same amount of external FX on that channel, unless I get a device that has it's own FX, with it's own internal send parameters etc... but then I cannot make the individual sounds part of my external PCM92 reverb... I'll have to think this over a bit...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:18:31 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
I've been reading this with interest, because dealing with tedious tasks is something that I've faced, as well.

The way I see it, one of the differences between a professional pursuit and an amateur one is that the professional always must carry on through the tedious parts of his or her craft. The amateur has a choice.

The older I get, the less I want to deal with tedious parts of musical pursuits. I value enjoyment over the breadth of things my instrument can do. I don't care about "covering all the bases" anymore.

There's one tedious thing that I'm still willing to do, and that's notation. MuseScore and QuNexus make this easier than it used to be. And notation is (for me) absolutely non-negotiable.

That pretty much sums my "problem" up :) ... except that I need to feel that I get something finished... which makes this a bit of a curse sometimes really... I've been searching for "the way" for more than 25 years now actually... I hope I find the way ... soon! :D

Shaw

« Reply #365 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Razmo,   Do you have any samples of your music?  That might help some of us develop some creative ideas / solutions...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #366 on: July 15, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
Well... I finally found out what it is that I need for sequencing my four monophonic synths... two Doepfer Dark Time sequencers.

I realize, that if I am to play live, I have to have as few devices with a lot of menus, so getting MIDI sequencers is not really the way to go, if they sport displays and all... I need to have all available on the front panel, just as with the four monosynths... Dark Time will give me what I need, and the ability to actually change the sequence quite easily from the front panel... switching notes in and out, and transposing stuff on the fly...

At the same time I'll be able to finally get completely rid of the computer in the equation, which is something I've been wanting for a long time... It will probably feel a little strange in the beginning since I am used to allways having a screen in front of me, and a keyboard and mouse... on the other hand I'll be looking forward to NOT having these take up space... they are always the problem when it comes to having a mother keyboard anyway.

This means I'll be able to put tabletop racks where my monitor was standing before, giving me better access to modules, sequencers etc.

I may still want to try a looper someday... it may be handy, but I'd rather use analog sequencers... they will also supply me with rock solid timing compared to USB MIDI interfaces as I have been using until now.

I actually believe this will work out nicely :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #367 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
And when it comes to the four stereo poly synths, the A-70 mother keyboard I recently purchased fit my needs like a glove... it has four individual MIDI outputs, which is exactly what is needed for the four stereo synths, and the comprehensive setups of the A-70 makes it possible to split and layer these any way I want on it's 76 keys, which is absolutely cool when I need to play them live... I could divide the keys into four zones, and mix/split them any way imaginable... there is actually two inputs on the A-70 as well, where one input functions as a MIDI controller input where I can connect any other MIDI controller I want, like pads, knobs or even a breath controller or second keyboard... the second input can be routed to any output, and is perfect, if you wanted to use a MIDI sequencer, and route it to one of the four stereo synths... the A-70 is ideal for the task at hand in my case :) ... and the keys simply are amazing to play... best I've ever tried.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #368 on: July 15, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
Razmo,   Do you have any samples of your music?  That might help some of us develop some creative ideas / solutions...

I'll see if I can make a short compilation one of the next days :) but in general, I do not have much in the Dark Ambient genre I intend to do most of... but I'll still do other genres as well, just mostly downtempo stuff if it has any rhythm to it...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #369 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
I realize that getting analog sequencers is not really possible, as I simply do not have the space for them... it's that simple.

So I'll use my computers sequencer instead, there really is not that big a difference anyway, and I could use this in the same looped style as an analog sequencer as well...

As can be seen on the foto below of my studio right now, there is not much space left... everything simply HAS to fit this setup, and four Dark Time sequencers along with four dreadbox analog synths will just not fit.... i can fit the four synths on the desktop to the left, and that is what I will do.

I just got the Mackie ONYX 1220 mixer and Lexicon PCM92 today, as can be seen in the foto as well, so now I'm waiting to get the Dreadbox Hades home soon.

It feels quite good to be back using a mixer, and that PCM92 simply sounds amazing...

So right now the following stuff is on my list of things to get:

Dreadbox - Erebus
Dreadbox - Nyx
Dreadbox - Medusa (new, wont be available until december)
Novation - PEAK
Elektron - DigiTakt

other than that, one more stereo synth, but I still do not know which... NAMM may show...

dslsynth

« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:48 AM »
other than that, one more stereo synth, but I still do not know which... NAMM may show...

Keep that as your "dream slot" and let it open for an interesting machine should it one day show up. In that way you can always do gear hunt and at the same time work with what you got.

Regarding the Dreadbox machines I would suggest getting one of them and see how it works for you. As awesome as they are they could very well end up being restocking fee candidates after a while.

And then make music with the stuff you got now! ;)

PS: Great idea to use that table as your studio size limiter. Keeps your setup focused!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:03:19 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:01 AM »

Keep that as your "dream slot" and let it open for an interesting machine should it one day show up. In that way you can always do gear hunt and at the same time work with what you got.

Regarding the Dreadbox machines I would suggest getting one of them and see how it works for you. As awesome as they are they could very well end up being restocking fee candidates after a while.

And then make music with the stuff you got now! ;)

PS: Great idea to use that table as your studio size limiter. Keeps your setup focused!

Exactly what I had in mind... keeping that stereo slot "open" for something in the future... Still hoping for something sampling related from DSI, but anything could do... but it should REALLY tickle my GAS to be let into the studio.

Regarding the dreadboxes... yes... I've got a Hades coming very soon, and yes, I'll see how I like using it... I'm not in doubt about the sound of this series of synths, as they sound characterful and unique, the whole question will be if I can accept that I have to dial in presets every time I use them... but they have all on the front panel, nothing is hidden anywhere under the hood, and they are specialized with few controls... so I hope that will work for me... I'd really like to use these as "sequenced gear" rather than actually playing them from a keyboard... but still... the space needed for four Dark Times I do not have... it's that simple... but my PC sequencer is capable of functioning as a sequencer for all my gear... but I would have liked to work with an analog sequencer where I can switch in notes anytime via switches, change step durations on the fly, loop positions etc. etc... it was the live element of this that attracted me... I may get ONE Dark Time some day, just to try it out...

Making music with what I got right now will be rather minimal... I have two synths :D ... three when the Hades arrives... hardly enough to make anything, but I've decided to give it a go anyway, getting as much out of what I've got.

dslsynth

« Reply #372 on: July 19, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
Well you could synthesize your drums on the Prophet 12 and then use that as a backing track. Would be a good place to start!

Also, returning to an above mentioned topic of which types of studio workflows work for you. Think of it as a programming exercise! You know how the underlying mechanisms are working so use that as a creative limitation and figure out various hybrid techniques that keeps you interested all the way. I am sure you can find creative and more cost effective solutions if you take your time to prototype your workflow.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #373 on: July 21, 2017, 05:16:10 AM »
the space needed for four Dark Times I do not have...

I own 1 Dark Time, it is a great tool to create random patterns through "mistakes": reversing loops, cutting loops short, etc. etc. But you need a set of something like this: http://www.microminiatures.co.uk/acatalog/Toggle_Switch_Covers.html to color code the switches. I managed to find a few in a train model store.

There are problems though with the Dark Time: something seems off with the pitch when turning the knobs, also, I think there is a bug that prevents you from setting different MIDI channels for the top and bottom row of 8 steps, I am hassling Doepfer about this, I think it needs a firmware update.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #374 on: July 21, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
the space needed for four Dark Times I do not have...

I own 1 Dark Time, it is a great tool to create random patterns through "mistakes": reversing loops, cutting loops short, etc. etc. But you need a set of something like this: http://www.microminiatures.co.uk/acatalog/Toggle_Switch_Covers.html to color code the switches. I managed to find a few in a train model store.

There are problems though with the Dark Time: something seems off with the pitch when turning the knobs, also, I think there is a bug that prevents you from setting different MIDI channels for the top and bottom row of 8 steps, I am hassling Doepfer about this, I think it needs a firmware update.

Thank you for that info... that's a bit disappointing about the MIDI channels because then it gets a bit problematic controlling two different synths... anyway, I do not think I will run into a MIDI channel problem since my plans are to only get one, and slave it to my DAW sequencer... my other gear will be controlled using my DAW so it's important that a Dark Time will sync to the DAW sequencer... only thing is, that when I do this, the point of using one begins to fade... I would probably just be better off controlling all from my DAW sequencer...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »
The second member of the family is now underway to my home... the Dreadbox Erebus.

I've been playing with the Hades now for some days, and I feel that this is what I'm looking for... 100% hands on control, but simple specialized synths, so that programing them as part of the composing process is musically intuitive (tailoring a sound from scratch, and exactly to the score I'm working on)... therefore I need few controls.

Displays and menus is now a thing of the past for me... I simply do not want to program presets containing hundreds of parameters... it takes too much time, it bores me...

So my studio will soon be a 100% analog one, with only the FX box being digital (the PCM92 which I recently bought)... arrangement will be done via computer though, as this is the most flexible... cut'n'paste or not.

My V-Synth XT and P12 is now for sale, as they will fund a Dreadbox Abyss and Nyx... so it's goodbye DSI (unless they start to make 100% analog synths, which I hardly think they ever will).

...so I guess I'm now a Dreadbox guy... I like their sound (dirty, fat and dusty oldschool analog sound), I like their layout and form factor, and I like the fact that each of them covers a distinct sonic territory.

« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
I have said before that I can't keep up :)

Interesting that you are thinking of getting rid of the P12 and v-Synth.

I'm thinking of a total purge of stuff here, the P12, P2  and Tempest are on the list of sale items but the VSynth XT I was thinking of making centre stage in the desk rack underneath my monitor and behind the linnstrument.

My list of sale items has become quite huge, a major clear out...

dslsynth

« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
How come both of you want to sell your DSI instruments? Is that because of sound, features or something else?
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
I have said before that I can't keep up :)

Interesting that you are thinking of getting rid of the P12 and v-Synth.

I'm thinking of a total purge of stuff here, the P12, P2  and Tempest are on the list of sale items but the VSynth XT I was thinking of making centre stage in the desk rack underneath my monitor and behind the linnstrument.

My list of sale items has become quite huge, a major clear out...

Sometimes you just need a change I guess... in my case it may be partly that... computer interaction just does not tempt me anymore... loads of parameters to adjust for hours before being satisfied with a preset... all the problems with SysEx specifications and editors... all the messing around with dumping samples back and forth... I need more instant gratification, with on the fly editing (fast)... I still want to do Ambient music, but also general electronic music with melodies and basslines... Berlin School styles... Space Music etc... it will just have to be done with analog and hands-on equipment. I may get limited, but limitations seems to inspire me... I think it is a left over from my early days of making music with the Commodore 64 SID chip and AMIGA computer... a more minimalistic approach... so that has been decided ... the P12 and V-Synth has to go...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
How come both of you want to sell your DSI instruments? Is that because of sound, features or something else?

In my case it is because there are too many parameters to tweak when I want to create sounds from scratch while composing... I really want to create unique sounds for every project instead of having to browse hundreds of sounds before I find something useful that anyway needs a little tweaking to fit the song... on top of that, because the P12 does not (logically) have all parameters on the front... I do not want to edit using menus...

There is nothing wrong with the P12... it just does not fit the workflow I want anymore... I want to replace it with a Dreadbox Abyss instead, to get polyphonic playing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:56:00 PM by Razmo »