Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

LoboLives

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2017, 06:28:38 AM »
Now that I think of it.... if DSI can make a 16voice REV2 at that pricepoint, that has 16 VCO/VCA with built in FX, and they proved that they could use the Curtis filter chips for drumsounds on the Tempest, then I really think they could also do a SP1200 like groovebox... they usually have 16 pads anyway, so it fits the REV2 numbers perfectly... 16 pads, 16 Curtis VCO's, 16 Curtis filters, 16 VCA's, Digital sample oscillators... just add a powerful sequencer to the mix, and a storage medium that allow for gigabytes of storage on a SD card, and allow for fast LIVE browsing of samples on the card, laid out in FAT format with full directory structure so that samples in your library can be neatly categorized. Make sure every pad has FX sends, and that Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay and Reverb is included.... an analog distortion curcuit on every pad would be welcome too. Now let every pad work on their OWN MIDI channel, so that a full SysEx spec can be made, and not that half-felt implementation of the Tempest. MIDI control should be complete.

Anyone?

I'd rather have a keyboard based sampler than a drum machine or box sampler. Also the Rev2 has DCO not VCOs.

I also want a sampler synth (but without keys thank you!) ... I just gave the example of SP1200 because I was talking "sample trigger machines"

Fine you get the module and I'll get the key version ;)

« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »
I would love to see an old Emulator II type sampler. It just seems like such a fast way to get sequences going and adjust ADSR of samples that it seems like such a missed opportunity that no one is doing it. Perhaps Pioneer and DSI could make something of this idea. Hell. I'm surprised Kurzweil is dropping the ball doing something similar with their lower priced stuff. Nord doesn't seem to be as immediate as an Emulator so you spend more time programming than playing.

Or consider the Emulator I / Akai S612–with the start / end point sliders, that would be awesome, along with switchable 2-/4-pole filters and maybe a decent FX processor or two. The immediacy of that interface was, for a long time, incredibly hard to beat.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
I would love to see an old Emulator II type sampler. It just seems like such a fast way to get sequences going and adjust ADSR of samples that it seems like such a missed opportunity that no one is doing it. Perhaps Pioneer and DSI could make something of this idea. Hell. I'm surprised Kurzweil is dropping the ball doing something similar with their lower priced stuff. Nord doesn't seem to be as immediate as an Emulator so you spend more time programming than playing.

Or consider the Emulator I / Akai S612–with the start / end point sliders, that would be awesome, along with switchable 2-/4-pole filters and maybe a decent FX processor or two. The immediacy of that interface was, for a long time, incredibly hard to beat.

I would dare say, it still is in regards to samplers.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2017, 04:41:51 AM »
...a short update...

I'm now down to three synths/samplers... V-Synth XT, E-MU E5000 and DSI P12... when it's out, I will get the Waldorf Quantum as well, and probably one more synth (PEAK maybe)... then I'll stop getting more synths.

Just purchased a new sound interface today, and a single stereo channel converterbox... RME Fireface UCX and RME ADI-2 ... these will work as my new "studio heart" for HD recording... if (may the gods forbid it) I end up with GAS again and need more inputs, I can always connect an ADAT converterbox for 4 more analog stereo ins.

I also swapped the display in my E5000 Ultra... it is now White on Blue instead with a lot better contrast than the old dull one it was born with.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2017, 05:10:34 AM »
... then I'll stop getting more synths.
That sounds really familiar....   almost as if I have heard that somewhere before....  :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
I also swapped the display in my E5000 Ultra... it is now White on Blue instead with a lot better contrast than the old dull one it was born with.

Considering the same for my ESI-32 and (recently-acquired) Emax SE; already did the P2K a few months back, and it looks quite nice in the rack.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »
... then I'll stop getting more synths.
That sounds really familiar....   almost as if I have heard that somewhere before....  :)

Maybe I forgot to turn down the feedback of my delay? :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »

Considering the same for my ESI-32 and (recently-acquired) Emax SE; already did the P2K a few months back, and it looks quite nice in the rack.

admitted it does look rather slick... but foremost I wanted more brightness and contrast as the E5000's was deliberately manufactured to have duller displays thanthe E6400 ULTRA and up... and with almost 20 years time, they start to fade as well... I actually ordered white on black at first, but that was damaged in freight, so he sent another one, and I changed to white on blue which I am happy with, since it gives good contrast to the black surrounding the display... I also fitted a Microtech PCD25BH SCSI to PCMCIA drive instead of the floppy drive, so now I am happily saving banks on CF card via an adapter.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
Ahhh yes... as always, I end up changing things, and this time it's no exception... I cannot live with samplers alone, I need some synthesis, so I have decided to have a few more than I first decided... 8 is the magic number, and I'm going to find an ADAT converter at some point to give me the last four stereo channels... I just received a RME Fireface UCX today, and also an ADI-2 for an extra analog channel... These interfaces and converters are a bit expensive, but I think it is worth it... I could clearly hear the difference in the converters when I tried the UCX today, that is for sure.

The Synths I've decided to keep are: V-Synth XT, E5000 Ultra, Prophet 12 and FS1R.

I also purchased an older synth from 1995 yesterday that I did not know much about... the Technics WSA1R... a pretty rare synth that was not made in that many numbers. It is the rack version that I found, and the synthesis is a mixture of PCM and Acoustic Modelling... the PCM samples are used as "exciters" or "drivers"... and then they are run thru DSP that compute the "resonators"... it's not as extended as the Yamaha VL synthesis (thank god!), but instead it offers 64 voices, and the ability to mix and match the drivers and resonators, and with four layers.

The guy I got it from bought it new 20 years ago, and actually never used it all those years, so the machine is mint which is rather exceptional, and I got it extremely cheap too. Looking forward to see what it can do, but it is said to be formiddable at doing ambient drones and pads, and that is exactly what I want from it.

A few demos:

https://youtu.be/uzCaqFb4WhQ

https://youtu.be/ai3hFuYSQ9s
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:46:40 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
It certainly looks nice.

I have always liked the look of Technics stuff, never seen one of those  before though.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
It certainly looks nice.

I have always liked the look of Technics stuff, never seen one of those  before though.

I think that I read it's the only synth Technics ever did (I don't know if that is right though), and that they hurt them selves economically quite badly because it was extremely expensive to produce... it is a rare synth, I believe I saw somewhere that about 300 WSA1r's was made only... but again... I'm not sure about this, it's just what "the internet say"

I hope it's good... otherwise I did not pay much for it, so I'll live if it do not.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
To my ears it has that kind of "Wavestation" like tone about it, though the synthesis is quite different... I bet this is because of the PCM drivers, as Wavestation is also PCM based... on top of that it also has an XY ball that allow for morphing between layers,l which further add to the Wavestation like sound... the secret weapon (as I see it) is the acoustic modelling though because that is unique for this synth... you can make some quite convining plucked sounds and EP sounds I've read (and heard), but the sounds that impress me the most are the drones and pads.

« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
Yeah I agree, I listened to some of the youtube stuff and also thought of the Wavestation, definitely something similar.

Looks like a nice synth, I will be interested on how you get on with it.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2017, 01:25:26 AM »
A short update on the studio...

I have decided, as I'm doing only Ambient music these days, that I'll withdraw all MIDI connections to my DAW, and simply play my synths live from a keyboard, recording them thru audio in my DAW... it gives a more less "programmed" feel to the overall compositions since it's more varied, and nothing will be copy/pasted at all... I've gotten used to working this way now, and I am fine with it... I still have two MIDI connections from the computer in case I need to dump sounds or edit my Prophet 12 from an editor when creating presets, but this is a process done separately from composing.

But to do this, I needed another MIDI keyboard controller, because as I want between 4 and 8 synths to play around with, I cannot connect more than one to my current Roland A-49 controller, so I would have to get a MIDI THRU device to hook up more on different MIDI channels.

But there is something about the A-49 I do not like... first off, it does not have aftertouch, second, it's keys seem a bit shorter than a standard keyboard... also I feel it's a little too stiff... I'm used to playing synth actian, and I tend to miss notes on that behalf... it's just not a controller for me, though I liked the fact that it has a built in D-Beam controller... but I can live without that.

So I've looked for a GOOD keyboard controller that also has more octaves and a better feel... unfortunately such keyboard is not made these days... it's sad really... all controller keyboard are SHIT! (pardon my french).

But I managed to locate a Roland A-70 yesterday, which has one of the best synth action keybeds ever made in my opinion, it has 76 keys, and even four MIDI outputs which is PERFECT for what I need... on top it has a wery well adjusted aftertuch that is not like other Roland keybeds, where you have to break your fingers to get it, anf has plenty of both sliders, levers and mod/pitch wheels... it also has two MIDI inputs to connect external controllers and sequencers, which is exactly what I need from my DAW to send dumps to the synths.

Only problem is it's size... it will practically take up ALL the space on my studiotable, and block the three lowest units in the rackpanels right behind it... so I need to raise all synths up on the monitor shelf, and find a solution for the keyboard and mouse to my DAW... that'll be a bit of a challenge.

It has to be done though... if I am to play live, it's very important to have a superb keybed to work with, and the A-70 will deliver on that... it also has a build in tone generator for piano sounds via an optional card, but I'll probably not use it... may even sell it.

So yes... the Waldorf Quantum has been dropped ... it is too expensive for what it does, the P12 I have can do much of the same stuff though they are not the same and has 4 voices more... so that's one of my keepers in the studio... if the Quantum ever comes as a module, I may jump it... otherwise not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:27:24 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2017, 05:21:40 AM »
The A-70 has that nice Fatar TP/8* action; I may eventually end up with one if I don't end up building something similar first.

dslsynth

« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
Only problem is it's size... it will practically take up ALL the space on my studiotable, and block the three lowest units in the rackpanels right behind it...

How about a keyboard stand and having the keyboard on the side? If you can live with using two keyboards a KMI K-board or QuNexus controller can be used while sitting in front of the computer and the big keyboard when you are playing music. Also, KMI will release their K-Board Pro 4 full sized keyboard controller in the autumn and it will feature MPE support while still being quite compact.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2017, 04:18:12 AM »
The A-70 has that nice Fatar TP/8* action; I may eventually end up with one if I don't end up building something similar first.

Funny... I thought I had seen that somewhere, but could not find any info on it ... are you 100% certin it is that Fatar TP/8? ... the same as in the Virus Ti series and some other synths?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2017, 04:23:51 AM »
Only problem is it's size... it will practically take up ALL the space on my studiotable, and block the three lowest units in the rackpanels right behind it...

How about a keyboard stand and having the keyboard on the side? If you can live with using two keyboards a KMI K-board or QuNexus controller can be used while sitting in front of the computer and the big keyboard when you are playing music. Also, KMI will release their K-Board Pro 4 full sized keyboard controller in the autumn and it will feature MPE support while still being quite compact.

That is currently in my thoughts... but only if I cannot find a way to place my keyboard and mouse because I have to make a very compact setup, as I have my studio table in my livingroom... so if I can avoid taking up space for a 76key monster to my right, I would like that... it may be the only solution though... and if that happens, I'd probably get an XKey 37 for the studio table, just to have something in front of me when using the computer DAW a lot... like creating presets for example... I'll just have to see what I come up with :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #338 on: June 10, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
According to FATAR's own homepage, there are three versions... THE TP8/PIANO, TP8/S and TP8/SK.

The PIANO version is weighted, and has waterfall style keys.

The TP8/S and TP8SK are both meant for synthesizers, but I'm unaware as to what other differences they have, exept that the TP8/S has a bit longer keys, and the black ones are flat... the SK's black keys are slightly curved at the back, curving downwards.

After looking at the A-70 pictures on the net, it's clear that the black keys are flat, so it must be the TP8/S version.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #339 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
A short update (again)...

I sent back the RME Fireface UCX... for some reason I wanted more inputs for a short while, until I started to think hard about what I really needed... What I really need is only one stereo analog input and output, since I'm recording with HD recording one layer at a time (I'll just use a patchbay to change sounds source).... for a brief period, I wanted to go back to MIDI recording, but I dropped that idear again.

So I returned the UCX, and when the money return, I'll be ordering an RME ADI-2 Pro instead... it's even more expensive, but it has superior converters with down to -120dB signal to noise ratios, so it's truly state of the art conversion... also I get two digital I/O's which will be neat for external FX units... it even has a built in asynchronous high quality sample rate converter that can be switched on either of the digital inputs, allowing me to connect digital equipment that do not have slaving capabilities (like my Roland V-Synth XT)... on top of that it will have Dynamics, EQ and all, and use the rock solid drivers of the MadiFace system.

It is one really expensive interface costing in the neighborhood of what en 8voice REV2 cost... but hey... the sound quality matters, so I want the best within my limits...

Also... I have only two synths left now, the rest has been sold... I'm tired of hoarding, and want ONLY synths that offer something TRULY unique to me, and not just 10% unique... it must be at least 66% unique or even more... If I can partially do it with other gear I've got, I don't need it.

So I'm selling my E5000 Ultra again... the V-Synth can do most of what it does, and much more... only polyphony is an isue but I'll live... the second synth is the Prophet 12... there really are no other like it, with as many synthesis types... VA, FM, Wavetable and semi modular patchcord capabilities... and even with analog filters... so I do not need a separate Wavetable or FM synth... P12 will do the timbres good enough... the WSA1R I just bought has allready been sold again... it was cool, but offered me nothing special I could not get close to with the V-Synth XT.

Basically there is nothing right now that has my interest other than these two... except maybe the Quantum for the Resonator and Granular synthesis, but I do not have the space for it... if a module version comes up, that will be my next synth.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:00:06 AM by Razmo »