Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
Due to the recently published (not leaked) rendering of the Wave II design, Axel Hartmann shared the original brochure for the Wave II from 2002 with the editors of Amazona.de:

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »
I actually saw this render earlier today on another music forum... but it's just Waldorf's usual vaporware, though, if it ever become reality, and can be bought be mere humans, I'm in to trade the MW2 for it :D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
I guess you'd have to trade in a couple of MW2s for this particular design.

« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
It is interesting, given the past tense in reference to the microQ, that this would have been an ongoing project at the time of Waldorf Music AG's demise.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »
It is interesting, given the past tense in reference to the microQ, that this would have been an ongoing project at the time of Waldorf Music AG's demise.

The microQs came out in 2000 and 2001, so it makes sense, as this is from the year after.

It would certainly still be an exciting product, although they'd have to modify a couple of things: the display for example, because it's from pre-iPad times. And today's version would of course offer USB. Thunderbolt could also be an option.

The left hand controller is definitely interesting. I would certainly be curious to see how well it works in practice.

I think the more pragmatic way to go about it would be a less eccentric design and a more portable form factor. The brochure more or less indicates that it's just a studio instrument. A 61 keys version with something like 8 to 12 voice polyphony could actually lead to an affordable option instead of just another 20k project.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »
And please... a more purchase friendly design... I don't want to spend god knows how much, just to have a god damned glass front, that would very likely end up being broken at some point... affordable please! ... I don't mean CHEAP... just AFFORDABLE!

« Reply #266 on: December 12, 2016, 04:21:01 PM »
And please... a more purchase friendly design... I don't want to spend god knows how much, just to have a god damned glass front, that would very likely end up being broken at some point... affordable please! ... I don't mean CHEAP... just AFFORDABLE!
I believe that's what the Stromberg was intended to be, and what (further down the cost spiral) the Blofeld became (less analogue filter sections / plugin modules).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
Well... the TX802 I just bought was damaged in freight... so it is going back to the seller unfortunately... so I've invested a little more, and will recieve a Yamaha FS1R next week... suits me allright actually, since it's also DX7 compatible... sound is a bit more cold, but it has built in FX, and a lot more advanced engine for Ambient styles which is my goal.

These synths are a bit pricey these days, but still got it for a lot less than what they go for on EBAY, and it has the latest firmware already and in a good shape.

This is two rather cool digital synths found within a single week for a good price, and that fits a few niches in synthesis in my setup. Very happy with these two... had both before, and know them inside out... this time they HAVE to stay. :)

chysn

« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Well... the TX802 I just bought was damaged in freight... so it is going back to the seller unfortunately...

That's disappointing about the TX802, but it's great that you found an FS1r instead.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:58 AM »
I've decided to switch to software plugs for FX in my projects... så I've invested in ValhallaDSP Shimmer today... here is a short demo of an old Commodore 64 classic made with Shimmer.... instruments are INTEGRA-7 and Nord Modular.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Test.mp3

« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
I've decided to switch to software plugs for FX in my projects... så I've invested in ValhallaDSP Shimmer today... here is a short demo of an old Commodore 64 classic made with Shimmer.... instruments are INTEGRA-7 and Nord Modular.

It's a good choice. The Valhalla DSP plug-ins are my favorites when it comes to reverbs and halls. Have been using Room, VintageVerb, and Shimmer for about three years now.

Not sure about your delay needs, but I found u-he's Satin to be a really cool tape delay emulation, which also makes for a nice chorus and flanger.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »

It's a good choice. The Valhalla DSP plug-ins are my favorites when it comes to reverbs and halls. Have been using Room, VintageVerb, and Shimmer for about three years now.

Not sure about your delay needs, but I found u-he's Satin to be a really cool tape delay emulation, which also makes for a nice chorus and flanger.

Thanx, I'll check those out because I surely will need a pro delay plugin soon... :) ... I like the price of the Shimmer plug by the way... pretty cheap I think?

« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
Thanx, I'll check those out because I surely will need a pro delay plugin soon... :) ... I like the price of the Shimmer plug by the way... pretty cheap I think?

Yeah, they're really well prized. Here's a link to Satin: https://www.u-he.com/cms/satin
It's more expensive, but you can always check out the demo first.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2017, 05:31:11 AM »
I decided to get one of these older Proteus 2000 modules, so that I would get access to it's huge amount af Z-Plane filters. First I was searching for a Morpheus, but they are rare these days, end pretty expensive in comparison to the P2000 family of ROMplers.

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/e-mu-proteus-2000-715299.jpg

I intend on using it's deep editing features with it's 4 layer setup, for creating really huge pad sounds. I got 128 voices on this one, so it should give some rather cool possibilities, especially with the over 50 types af Z-Plane filters.

These ROMplers engine is really something... it's basically an E-MU E4 Ultra engine, but with a lot of extra stuff, and it can be expanded with ROMs (4 of them) for a total of 128MB of samples... this is nice, because then I do not have to mess around with creating samples for this.

I actually bought the E-MU X-Treme Lead 1 with just 64 voices, and the XL-1 ROM, but an additional Planet Earth - World Expedition ROM in it... the later is pretty rare, and one of the best ROMs E-MU did for this series of modules, and it sounds stellar for my Ambient projects. The XL-1 ROM will give me all the electronic music building blocks I need as well, and I plan on getting the two ROMs from the Virtuoso module that has a lot of Orchestral dry samples on them... this will be the perfect blend of samples for what I want of this machine.

The P2000 I bought without any ROMs in it... thus it was pretty cheap, and will be using that one for all the ROMs... so now I'm sitting here with a ROM empty XL-1 that I don't know what to do with :D

Somehow I wish I could find a 32MB FLASH SIMM module, so that I could author my own 32MB sample ROM for this machine.... but they're so rare they are seldom seen even on EBAY... so guess I can forget about that, but it would require an Ultra sampler to make that ROM anyway...

Besides the P2000, I've gotten a used Waldorf Rack Attack, which will serve be as my only drummachine... it fits my needs for SysEx control, is compact and sound darn good and snappy... very happy with it now that I've started creating drumsounds for it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:32:43 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
I decided to get one of these older Proteus 2000 modules, so that I would get access to it's huge amount af Z-Plane filters. First I was searching for a Morpheus, but they are rare these days, end pretty expensive in comparison to the P2000 family of ROMplers.

I intend on using it's deep editing features with it's 4 layer setup, for creating really huge pad sounds. I got 128 voices on this one, so it should give some rather cool possibilities, especially with the over 50 types of Z-Plane filters.

You can find an UltraProteus relatively cheaply: http://archive.cassiel.com/space/Gearhead/E-mu+Morpheus,+UltraProteus. I somehow ended up with one in a gear trade about a decade ago and just dug it out of storage. It contains all of the Morpheus filters plus most of the Proteus-family samples (for those rare occasions where you need a distinctively-cheesy preset).

I also bought a water-logged P2K with a broken display off Craigslist a few weeks back; cleaned it up (turned out to be cosmetic damage), replaced the display and now have a spare P2*K host to offload some of my XL-7 ROMs into. (The downside of a fully-loaded P2*K unit, of course, is that it's a bit of a bore to rotate through four ROMs' worth of presets.  ;D )

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »

I intend on using it's deep editing features with it's 4 layer setup, for creating really huge pad sounds. I got 128 voices on this one, so it should give some rather cool possibilities, especially with the over 50 types of Z-Plane filters.

You can find an UltraProteus relatively cheaply: http://archive.cassiel.com/space/Gearhead/E-mu+Morpheus,+UltraProteus. I somehow ended up with one in a gear trade about a decade ago and just dug it out of storage. It contains all of the Morpheus filters plus most of the Proteus-family samples (for those rare occasions where you need a distinctively-cheesy preset).

I also bought a water-logged P2K with a broken display off Craigslist a few weeks back; cleaned it up (turned out to be cosmetic damage), replaced the display and now have a spare P2*K host to offload some of my XL-7 ROMs into. (The downside of a fully-loaded P2*K unit, of course, is that it's a bit of a bore to rotate through four ROMs' worth of presets.  ;D )

Yeah... know about the UltraProteus... I've had one, but did not like the samples in it.... I've had a Morpheus too, and liked that one better, though, I'd rather have had an UltraProteus with the Morpheus samples, as the Ultra has more filters.

But I chose the P2K family for several reasons... the first being that it's easier to get and cheap... second, There can be more samples, deeper engine, four layers in a preset, better sound quality etc. etc.

The factory presets of the XL-1 is not that good in my opinion, at least not for my Ambient usage... The samples on the World Expedition is a totally different matter... but when I start creating my own Ambient pads I'm sure all the ROM samples will shine their value.

I will only be using the P2K in single-mode, so with 128 voices, it should be possible to create some rather dense pad sounds with loads of release time... all in all, I think that these modules, really packs a punch in value these days... just need to do some presets myself.

« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
I have a Proteus 2000 and Audity 2000, sitting in a rack here. I have no idea when they were last powered up.

Good luck with the preset creation, I always thought it was a pain in the arse.

Might hit the power switches tomorrow to see if they still work...

« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2017, 12:06:06 PM »
I loaded my E-mu XL-7 Command Station up with the Rob Papen Techno Synth Construction Yard and Beat Garden ROMs, along with the World Expedition (which I absolutely love), though it is nice to have a standard Composer ROM around (in the guise of the Proteus 2000) as well.

That said - some of the E-mu P2K ROMs are selling for more than the units they were shipped in....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:09:02 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
I loaded my E-mu XL-7 Command Station up with the Rob Papen Techno Synth Construction Yard and Beat Garden ROMs, along with the World Expedition (which I absolutely love), though it is nice to have a standard Composer ROM around (in the guise of the Proteus 2000) as well.

That said - some of the E-mu P2K ROMs are selling for more than the units they were shipped in....

Wow, I'm very close to that - MP7 with the 2 Papen and a Composer.  I plan on getting the World next time I see one, to replace the default MP7/MoPatt which just isn't quite up my alley.  Only thing is I'd kinda like the XROM too, but... only 4 slots.  :D

« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2017, 03:03:56 AM »

Wow, I'm very close to that - MP7 with the 2 Papen and a Composer.  I plan on getting the World next time I see one, to replace the default MP7/MoPatt which just isn't quite up my alley.  Only thing is I'd kinda like the XROM too, but... only 4 slots.  :D

You may find that a 64-voice Planet Earth rackmount module ends up being cheaper (e.g., $200 for one in the Atlanta area, on Craigslist presently) than the ROM on its own....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:06:19 AM by DavidDever »