Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »
Thanks for all the info!

It's a bit of a shame that the sensor info is not sent over midi or received, that would be pretty useful.

Also a shame about the user samples.

Even though it's still on my list of things I "need".

Yes... it is a shame for sure... the device don't even HAVE a MIDI port... you have to see the Wavedrum as a LIVE performance instrument when using it... you need to be good at playing percussion ... there is no way to do any quantization here ;)

I have to add though... that for me it seems easy enough... especially when you play it with your hands, the timing is pretty good, since it is easier to have good timing with your fingers, compared to a pair of sticks I'd say... but this may just be me... I'm not a skilled percussionist, but I do have a good sense of rhythm in general, and with some practice, I think it will be allright.

The best about the Wavedrum is still, that it sounds so organic... it's sensitivity... especialy the "double DSP" engines which are physical modelling sounds awesome, and not a single hit sounds the same, which is key.... when samples are involved, you can hear the typical "static sample sound" as on conventional samplers, but the interface still allow them to be very dynamic in use anyway.

Still... I'd die for an editor... the interface is HORRIBLE! .. .I'm not even sure if I'll be doing any sounds myself because of this... maybe I'll just use the 200 presets, and call it the day.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2016, 03:41:58 PM »
A short egyptian inspired riff, where I used the KORG Wavedrum, and Roland V-Synth XT only.

I'm still learning to play and record it live... but it shows how I intend on using it.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Egyptian.mp3

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
V-Synth XT, Integra-7, Nord Modular G1, Prophet 12 and Blofeld in action:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/test.mp3

« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »
Nice stuff, I like the Egyptian one a lot. The Wavedrum and V_Synth sound pretty good together :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
Well... I actually delivered the Wavedrum back... I cannot accept the fact that it does not have MIDI control... mostly because I've gone back to doing MIDI recording rather than HD recording... I've bought a KORG Electribe Sampler 2 to replace it for drums and other stuff... not as organic and live feeling, but hey... too bad...

Here is a short riff I just did using Electribe, Pulse 2, Nord Modular, Integra-7, Blofeld, Prophet 12 and V-Synth XT... soon I'll get a used TX802 to my setup as well.

So now I'm only 1 synth from a complete setup... wonder what it will end up being...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/NewTest.mp3

dslsynth

« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »
Yeah its really hard to have both expressiveness and sequencing at the same time. As for the wavedrum and its microphones being input to the synthesis engine: could be an idea to explore in eurorack or a digital synthesizer. Oh and one could record the microphone audio, time correct it and then use the audio tracks as input to the sound engine. Many creative options exist!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:54 AM »
Yeah its really hard to have both expressiveness and sequencing at the same time. As for the wavedrum and its microphones being input to the synthesis engine: could be an idea to explore in eurorack or a digital synthesizer. Oh and one could record the microphone audio, time correct it and then use the audio tracks as input to the sound engine. Many creative options exist!

Sure... lots of options if you know how to do the electronics for it ;)

I would have made it in another way... put a multi-channel USB audio interface into the wavedrum... that is all you would need, and that technology is already here in abundance... Next, the Wavedrum should simply send out the audio from the sensors in addition to it's processed audio output to the computer for recording via USB... problem solved... just play the recorded tracks back thru USB to the Wavedrum.

But the question is how useful it would be... the only advantage I can see is, that you can quantize the audio for tighter timing, but why would you want that? the point is the live feel of the Wavedrum, and then you could as well just record the audio output of it.

My problem with the Wavedrum is not the timing... that was what I wanted... my problem is, that I do not record to HD anymore, and then the Wavedrum have no use for me anymore, unless I just recorded live played loops on it, and threw these into my V-Synth XT for playback.

No... what I would like to see with the Wavedrum, is a built in MIDI controlled looper function that will allow you to record what you play on it, and time this via MIDI from my DAW... You may be able to do this already, with it connected to a looper pedal with MIDI maybe... have not checked for this combi.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
Hmmm... sometimes when you're experimenting with the technical stuff of your studio, you end up making something really weird that you would not normally do.... this happened today obviously... was just trying some HD recording techniques, and ended up with this weird stuff:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Weird.mp3

It's Roland INTEGRA-7 only... nothing else ...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2016, 11:27:07 AM »
Finally found a used Microwave 2... I've been wanting access to it's huge library of sounds for some time. Looking forward to having this in my setup again, which also puts an end to free mixer channels... I got 8 synths now, so no more synths for me... in any case, stuff will only be swapped, if something interresting comes along in the future, that is both more advanced and has the same type of synthesis onboard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RpdUKRdx2lQ/VbE-XZzHfBI/AAAAAAAJvdM/YbFMBufBrDw/s1600/2.jpg

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
Finally found a used Microwave 2... I've been wanting access to it's huge library of sounds for some time. Looking forward to having this in my setup again, which also puts an end to free mixer channels... I got 8 synths now, so no more synths for me... in any case, stuff will only be swapped, if something interresting comes along in the future, that is both more advanced and has the same type of synthesis onboard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RpdUKRdx2lQ/VbE-XZzHfBI/AAAAAAAJvdM/YbFMBufBrDw/s1600/2.jpg
Anything in particular about the MWII that you prefer over the Blofeld?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:38:20 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »

I thought you just sold the first and widely desired revision (version A rev. 1) of the Microwave not so long ago. What makes you prefer the Microwave 2?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
There are a couple of reasons I prefer the Microwave2 to both MW1 and Blofeld... I still have the Blofeld though, it's not going anywhere :)

1. The MW2 has a lot more presets out there, specialized for my genre of music (Ambient), and it is backward compatible with earlier MW1 presets... One major reason for wanting the MW2 is that I get a lot of sounds straight out of the box, without having to program a lot myself...

2. It's 100% digital, and thus does not need servicing... the MW1 I had, needed callibration inside the unit from time to time because of the analog filters, and had begun showing signs of being vintage.

3. It is considerably lower in signal/noise ratio.

4. It's synthesis engine is better (if we do not count in the analog sound of course). it has built in FX and a modulation matrix... MW1 does not... more wavetables, more space for presets and user waves.

and the reason my Blofeld is not chosen to be my only wavetable synth is that it cannot use the MW Familys presets... it does have all the wavetables, but it lacks the MW Wave Envelope among other things... also, the Blofeld cannot do interpolation inside the machine... you have to use external software to do this, and then transfer to the Blofeld... with MW2, I can quickly insert single waveforms in a wavetable, and have the DSP in the MW2 interpolate... this allow for fast changes of timbres in already made presets, simply by just changing a few waves and interpolate.... just like if you had a sampler, and exchanged samples in an already made patch.

I've had the MW2 many years ago by the way, so I know what it sounds like, and what it is capable of :)

I know that many will wonder why I of all, being so analog-happy, would want to let the MW1 go, and then get a MW2 ... but the reason is, that I simply have revised my view on analog/digital over the last year or so, having begun making Ambient instead of dance, Techno like material... I found out, over the years, that what I really like about analog, is the bass mostly, and to some extend the "dirty, wooly" sound on some leads... I really don't need analog for pads, and Ambient is mostly pad based music... also, having so many different flavours of analog is not really what I need... I need flexibility, I need FX, I need polyphony and good signal to noise ratio so that very quiet passages in my music will not drown in noise from analog gear. Thus I'm only into gear that are modern, and do not need servicing.

I have bought the Pulse 2 again... it's the only gear I have with analog oscillators... it serves me fine as analog bass, and the leads is also perfect in this box... my P12 takes care of the middle terrain.

With the purchase of the MW2, my setup is complete... for now ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:14:05 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2016, 03:36:19 AM »
Have you ever considered a Wavestation A/D? I'm asking because it allows for using your own samples in the shape of PCM waves. Plus: I would also consider it to be a nice ambient machine.

More info that could be interesting for you, can be found here: http://www.chriscarter.co.uk/content/sos/korg_ws_ad.html

« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2016, 05:33:55 AM »
Makes sense, as far as the presets go.

I sold my MicroWave II when I got the XT, and sold that on (as well as an extra microQ) to get the (extra) wavetables in the Blofeld (which I use, by the way, without the internal effects, resulting in better sound quality and less of the "nasal" quality that so many people seem to complain about). And Nave is pretty close, enough so that a patch converter between it and Blofeld is in the cards....

Also - you should check out the Presonus AR16 mixer (not rackmount, but the all-analogue signal path is substantially cleaner than the Mackie I was previously using). It, too, constrains your synth count to an available number of channels, but they're all available to Logic (or whatever DAW you're using).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:37:15 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2016, 05:37:41 AM »
Have you ever considered a Wavestation A/D? I'm asking because it allows for using your own samples in the shape of PCM waves. Plus: I would also consider it to be a nice ambient machine.

More info that could be interesting for you, can be found here: http://www.chriscarter.co.uk/content/sos/korg_ws_ad.html

Yup.... I've had the 1U SR version earlier... it's a fine machine, but I find the samples a bit outdated to be honest... I'd rather see Dave do a new iteration of it... then I'd be VERY interrested :D

But certainly... Wavestation is a cool pad machine... just as JD-800/990, D50/550, EX5/R and many others... If I had more mixer channels, I'd certainly go for either A/D or SR version :) ... and the others just mentioned... even E-MU Morpheus...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:44 AM »
Makes sense, as far as the presets go.

I sold my MicroWave II when I got the XT, and sold that on (as well as an extra microQ) to get the (extra) wavetables in the Blofeld (which I use, by the way, without the internal effects, resulting in better sound quality and less of the "nasal" quality that so many people seem to complain about). And Nave is pretty close, enough so that a patch converter between it and Blofeld is in the cards....

Also - you should check out the Presonus AR16 mixer (not rackmount, but the all-analogue signal path is substantially cleaner than the Mackie I was previously using). It, too, constrains your synth count to an available number of channels, but they're all available to Logic (or whatever DAW you're using).

Yeah... I know about the Blofeld sound character... and the FX are mostly so-so... Blofeld is a really cool and very deep and capable synth... doing a mix of synthesis options no other synth really offer (exept for maybe the Nord Wave)... I like the idear of interconnecting VA, FM, Wavetable and sampling synthesis in the same sound preset... gives so many options, but I'd prefer a true wavetable synth for what it does, which is why I took the MW2... besides I got it rather cheap compared to current prices... about 360 dollars, and it has even had it's encoders cleaned and is 100% working.

Regarding mixer channels... I'm using a rather expensive 1U rack-mixer for compactness... a RANE SM82S, and I'm really happy with it... I don't want or need EQ and a hoarde of AUX sends... that's why I intended on having so many digital synths because they include their own FX, and EQ... I have a single stereo AUX send/return on it, which I use for reverb (which is crucial for Ambient, and most built in on synths are not high quality enough for me, so I'm planning on a Lexicon PCM92).

What always irritated me on analog mixers is that they are mono channels... i know you can pair them up and pan L/R, but I hate to do everything twice... I want a STEREO mixer... and they only come in rack versions mostly... all my synths are stereo... not mono...

« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2016, 05:51:03 AM »

Yup.... I've had the 1U SR version earlier... it's a fine machine, but I find the samples a bit outdated to be honest... I'd rather see Dave do a new iteration of it... then I'd be VERY interrested :D

But certainly... Wavestation is a cool pad machine... just as JD-800/990, D50/550, EX5/R and many others... If I had more mixer channels, I'd certainly go for either A/D or SR version :) ... and the others just mentioned... even E-MU Morpheus...

Yeah, I was referring to the A/D because it's a bit more flexible in terms of input options. But you're right about the outdatedness of some of the waves. It's probably most timeless if one uses the particularly digital sounding waves like the VS ones, and not rhythmic sequences that utilize the dedicated percussion waves, nor sounds that try to approximate natural instruments.

« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
PS: The just released iWavestation makes editing wave sequences a breeze, but it's a shame that it can't be used as an editor for the hardware version or that you can't send a SysEx dump from it to the hardware.

It has a cool random patch generator feature though, that can be used as a starting point for new wave sequences.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:57:21 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
Regarding mixer channels... I'm using a rather expensive 1U rack-mixer for compactness... a RANE SM82S, and I'm really happy with it... I don't want or need EQ and a hoarde of AUX sends... that's why I intended on having so many digital synths because they include their own FX, and EQ... I have a single stereo AUX send/return on it, which I use for reverb (which is crucial for Ambient, and most built in on synths are not high quality enough for me, so I'm planning on a Lexicon PCM92).

What always irritated me on analog mixers is that they are mono channels... i know you can pair them up and pan L/R, but I hate to do everything twice... I want a STEREO mixer... and they only come in rack versions mostly... all my synths are stereo... not mono...

Ahh, that's right - you swapped out the Mackie some time ago. I do like the Rane's simplicity, and in reality, I'd agree that a single ambient effect processor is sufficient for most purposes (I generally mute mine when doing any sound design).

Also - I do find that a switchable low-cut filter goes a long way.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »

Ahh, that's right - you swapped out the Mackie some time ago. I do like the Rane's simplicity, and in reality, I'd agree that a single ambient effect processor is sufficient for most purposes (I generally mute mine when doing any sound design).

Also - I do find that a switchable low-cut filter goes a long way.

I agree... the only thing I miss on the mixer is a simple low-cut, to stop the mix from getting muddy... a great deal of my synths have build in EQ though, but a few do not... so it puts a test on my skills to tweak the sound instead sometimes, or choose the presets carefully so that there is not too much low-end in them... but then again.. .I found this problem worse when kick and bass are involved in dance music, in contrast to Ambient which is a lot less percussive... it's like it does not matter much if some sounds overlap, it only adds to the "swirl and twirl" of pad sounds :)

The RANE can be cascaded though... and I've been seriously considering finding another unit... but on the other hand, I've got enough sound sources now... I do not NEED anymore... only WANT more :D ... The thing I like about the RANE mixer is, that every input has a special circuitry, that eliminate the need for switches that set the input stage for consumer og pro gear output... the channels does not amplify the mixers own noise, even when you turn the volumes all the way up for an additional 6db of gain... it's dead quiet on the output, no matter if the volume knobs are all zero, or all full +6dB boost. It's also very transparent in it's sound... so I'm happy with this mixer.