Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

dslsynth

Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »
Thanks a lot for the patches, Razmo! I look forward to study them closer as soon as I get my own software up and running again!

Hope that the hihat patch is included as I found some inspiration in this video that I wanna try out one day:
https://youtu.be/stROAgFmIFI?t=4m7s

With the Evolvers sequencer there could be some interesting types of percussive sounds possible. Which is where your hihat patch comes into play.

Thanks again! :)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for the patches, Razmo! I look forward to study them closer as soon as I get my own software up and running again!

Hope that the hihat patch is included as I found some inspiration in this video that I wanna try out one day:
https://youtu.be/stROAgFmIFI?t=4m7s

With the Evolvers sequencer there could be some interesting types of percussive sounds possible. Which is where your hihat patch comes into play.

Thanks again! :)

Yes, the hihat should be there... both closed and open... and the kick and snare too... the rest is mostly sequencer stuff  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Hey Razmo!

I just got myself a piece of gear that might be usable to you: Elektron Analog Four. I'm waiting for mine to get here (coming from abroad, there's no seller in Brazil). Yes, yes, I should've saved money for the P12, but I just couldn't. ;)

Since you have a lot of things already, maybe it would add some sequencer power to live gigs and improvisations. It is a very capable synth, and expectacular sequencer, being able to even control external CV gear while feeding effects and a few other stuff to its sound. The Sub37 would fit nicely with it.

If you're willing to get rid of computer to record MIDI and stuff, maybe an Elektron Octatrack.

I think both would fit nicely in the kind of sound you want to do. Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »
Hey Razmo!

I just got myself a piece of gear that might be usable to you: Elektron Analog Four. I'm waiting for mine to get here (coming from abroad, there's no seller in Brazil). Yes, yes, I should've saved money for the P12, but I just couldn't. ;)

Since you have a lot of things already, maybe it would add some sequencer power to live gigs and improvisations. It is a very capable synth, and expectacular sequencer, being able to even control external CV gear while feeding effects and a few other stuff to its sound. The Sub37 would fit nicely with it.

If you're willing to get rid of computer to record MIDI and stuff, maybe an Elektron Octatrack.

I think both would fit nicely in the kind of sound you want to do. Cheers!

Problem is, that I'm so acustomed to working via computer for editing presets, recording and stuff, that working without one would be very awkward for me... I'm way too dependant on using SoundDiver when browsing for sounds, and just going from clean MIDI recording, to actual Audio Layer recording was a big step for me...

I need all my synths exept for the V-Synth to be editable from within SoundDiver... and unfortunately, none of Elektron's gear has a checksum format that allow me to create editors for their synths, so Elektron is no-go for me, and has been for a loooong time... but believe me, I've been following what they do...

My music today is a mixture of recording live takes, and some sequenced before recording them to Audio layers, but all sound selection and editing is still done via SoundDiver, so that´s a critical must for me... I HAVE to be able to make those editors...

With that said... I am going to use a few instruments live...like the Yamaha VL-70m and KORG WaveDrum GE... so maybe with time I'll have a use for Elektron gear... it is just not right now :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
By the way... I decided to keep Poly Evolver anyways... the buyer got cold feet, and I don't seem to be able to get the price that I want for it here in Denmark... Besides... it's still such a lovely sounding machine, and does have a few uniques to it... so I decided to only rid myself of the Tempest, which really pisses me off with it's half-felt MIDI specs... I've just had too many grievances with it... so it's leaving early next month.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting the Sub37 or the VL-70m/WaveDrum first... it'll probably be the later, as I need those more right now... then Sub37 will have to wait until next year, and maybe it's wise, since NAMM is not that far away now, and because we now know that Dave has something up his sleeve for Winter NAMM...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Allright... have been messing with a DSI synth today... tried to make it go totaly nuts, so be warned! ... don't play this too loud!  :)

You may guess which DSI synth it is... I'm not telling  ;D ... but it's heavily drenched in reverb...

Only one preset going on here... played live, tweaking pitchbender and modwheel...

"enjoy"

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/MoonScreamer.mp3

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
Prophet 12.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »

dslsynth

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
It sounds very much of tuned feedback leaving the Evolver as the only other option.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
It sounds very much of tuned feedback leaving the Evolver as the only other option.

No tuned feedback at all... but you're right... it's the Evolver  :) ... it´s made with one oscillator, plus two selfoscillating filters mangled individualy (L/R)... distortion is not engaged at all... just a delay line feeding back into itself with very short delay time, and high feedback level... Also some filter frequency modulation going on... the controllers change various of theese parameters against each other which makes it go crazy... The preset was more or less tweaked until it sounded weird, so absolutely NO planning on what it would end with...

Many possibilities for these types of crazed soundscapes on Evolver... I can only dream about what is possible with the P12 in this aspect  :o

dslsynth

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »
Prophet 12? Go for it! Just remember to use all five oscillators and both layers together with tuned feedback!

It did sound like you were rattling the filter frequencies or the delay line. Cool patch idea.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:07 AM »
Well... it's done... just placed an order for a MOOG Sub37 ... I'm now very impatiently waiting for it to arrive  :D ... I'm really amazed after having read, that MOOG finaly made some proper modulation matrix functionality in their synths... until now MOOG has been not that flexible in synthesis editing... just giving you the basics along with it's pristine sound quality, but the mod.matrix options in the Sub37 is much much better than the Slim Phatty I had earlier.

The Sub37 will be my only analog monosynth in my setup, taking care of mostly my bass needs, and the occational Lead and FX/Percussion... also as source material for sampling with my V-synth GT, to see how well I can replicate it's sound, but with polyphony...

I'm also looking forward to see how the feel of the Sub37's keyboard is... I have to admit, that even though the V-Synth is splendid in that regard, I still hate Roland's aftertouch... you still have to f****** break your fingers to initiate it, and also, the pressure onset is different depending on where you play on the keyboard, so the aftertouch in my GT is basicaly useless to me... hope it's better on the Sub37.

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Congratulations, Razmo! I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

dslsynth

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
just placed an order for a MOOG Sub37

Wow! Its less than two months from Gearmas and you just ordered something? Me just a little bit impressed! Have to say though that its a nice machine. One old forum user said it had effectively cured his GAS for a long time so beware of the GAS Curing Dragons (TM). Anyway the only "bad" thing that could happen is that a Sub37 module shows up soon. But at least you know your GAO routine so I am not worried about that aspect! ;)
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
I've been thinking about NAMM comming up, and yes, something could happen of course... though, I hardly believe MOOG will do a module version of the SUB37, mainly because we have seen a number of new things since, and they have not even ended the "Tribute Edition" yet...

Anyways, I'm going to use this synth as my main controller, if it has better aftertouch than the GT I recently bought... I have to choose which one will be on my desktop, and in that regard, the Sub37 fits better, as it is a bit smaller than the GT... thus I'll place the GT to one side instead... the thing is, that the GT has a splendid color display, where all editing of the GT is a breeze... don't really need an editor for it, so when I need to work with the GT, I can just place myself in front of it, and have all I need within reach... with my modules, I need a controller to be right in front of me, as well as my computer monitor for the editors... so... it still works, even though I will have two keyboards in the setup.

I'm getting a Yamaha VL-70m really soon too... still have one on hold for a good price, so I'm looking forward to recieving that too... and after that, I'm getting a KORG WaveDrum Global Edition... and then I'd say that my setup is nearing it's end... think I'll have space for ONE more synth, but I'll leave that space for something REALLY interresting... whatever it will be.... probably something from DSI :D ... it won't be the P6 or Pro2 though... Pro2 is too much like my P12, and the P6 is not as flexible as my P08... so even though I really want some of DSI's newer gear with discrete component filters etc. I'll simply wait until something more unique and interresting comes along...

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
Well... it's done... just placed an order for a MOOG Sub37 ... I'm now very impatiently waiting for it to arrive  :D ... I'm really amazed after having read, that MOOG finaly made some proper modulation matrix functionality in their synths... until now MOOG has been not that flexible in synthesis editing... just giving you the basics along with it's pristine sound quality, but the mod.matrix options in the Sub37 is much much better than the Slim Phatty I had earlier.

The Sub37 will be my only analog monosynth in my setup, taking care of mostly my bass needs, and the occational Lead and FX/Percussion... also as source material for sampling with my V-synth GT, to see how well I can replicate it's sound, but with polyphony...

I'm also looking forward to see how the feel of the Sub37's keyboard is... I have to admit, that even though the V-Synth is splendid in that regard, I still hate Roland's aftertouch... you still have to f****** break your fingers to initiate it, and also, the pressure onset is different depending on where you play on the keyboard, so the aftertouch in my GT is basicaly useless to me... hope it's better on the Sub37.
Congratulation Razmo! I'm sure you'll love your new Moog synthesizer. They're really something different and special sonic-wise. I like my Sub Phatty's keybed, I'm sure the Tribute is even better.

Regarding the whole "fucking break your fingers for aftertouch", I forgot to say thay I'm actually a pianist since I was 11 years old, and I have a very "strong touch". While it's not hard at all to achieve aftertouch on a Roland, to me, the perfect aftertouch action is the one on the DSI family.

The Moog will actually be an excellent source for sampling to the GT - just focus on not multisampling, it doesn't sound very good inside the GT and it's a pain in the ass to program.

Cheers!

PS: I'm also having a Gearmas!! Waiting for my Elektron Analog 4!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »
The problem with the aftertouch is that it sets in too late... you have to press quite hard... breaking fingers is perhaps an exaggeration, but I suppose it is all about how you use aftertouch... playing a piano is not the same I think, because a piano does not have "aftertouch" per say?

Usualy what I use aftertouch for, is stuff like vibrato ... mostly... and it becomes part of your playing technique using it, thus it's a real pain when you have to press very hard to initiate it, especialy when you play fast sequences... I never use aftertouch to imply effects because I hit the keys extremely hard... besides I don't like pressing that hard... I feel I might break the keys with the amount of force needed to get max pressure output from the aftertouch.... also, in my GT, the lower I get on the keyboard, the harder I have to press to initiate the aftertouch... I'm not sure why that is... if the aftertouch strip inside the keyboard is misalligned, or it has to be played extensively to settle in properly... as it is now, the Aftertouch is useless to me, and works just like it did on the A-800 Pro to be honest... The Velocity though, is REALLY good, and sensitive.... only thing I don't like too, is that it has quite a bit of mechanical noise compared to my earlier Yamaha EX5... it makes a load of noise playing it...

So I'm actualy happy to get the Sub37... I read somewhere that it should be the same keybed as in one of DSI's synths... either the P12 or P6... don¨'t remember which, but that hints me that the aftertouch will be good... also I get a separate pitchbender and mod wheel.... while it's cool for some things on the GT, on others I hate that the mod.wheel is springloaded.

So all in all, I'm pretty well covered in controls with the combi of the GT and Sub37... I'll have separate wheel/mod and combined, I'll have soft/hard aftertouch, I've got a large X/Y pad, loads of customizable knobs on the GT, I got twin D-Beams too ... and when I get my VL-70m I have a breath controller as well... only missing a foot pedal still :D

Hope you'll like your Analog Four by the way... seems like a capable synth too :)

dslsynth

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
@Razmo: Have you considered some of the more evolved keyboard controllers such as the ROLI Rise or the soon-to-be-available KMI K-Board Pro 4 both of which are 3D controllers? There will be plenty of aftertouch on these! Only downside is that almost all DSI synths do not support 3D expression as that requires note-per-channel features.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
Razmo. 

Nearing the end of your set up, huh.... I don't think that will be possible for most of us ;)

I do have to say though that I have reached a point where making use of all the instruments means greater time away from each of them individually.  By time I go back in several weeks to use my relatively new Pro 2,  I will have forgotten some of its operation.    Unless something magical comes out of Namm I'm good for a while.

Re: Aftertouch.  It always seems to me that the black keys are harder to trigger with aftertouch.  This is the case on any instrument that I had AT on.  So maybe it is a wear thing whereas the contacts get smoother with use - or something like that.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »
I read somewhere that it should be the same keybed as in one of DSI's synths... either the P12 or P6... don¨'t remember which, but that hints me that the aftertouch will be good...

The aftertouch works fine for me, but the keyboard of the Sub 37 has nothing in common with the ones that have been used in any DSI/Sequential products. The height of the black keys feels a tad greater and overall the keyboard feels a bit more stiff, which doesn't affect the aftertouch behaviour though.