Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #700 on: May 30, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
I thought about getting either a keys or module version of the REV2, and I have decided on, and just ordered a REV2 keys again.

I was really in doubt because I am planning on getting a P12 module and a Prophet X to complement the REV2, and let that be all... initially I thought about keeping the KB37 as a master controller, and then get a REV2 module, mainly because I thought I would wait with the keys until I get the Prophet X... mainly because of the two sliders on it, so that I may control the P12 module with these... but I don't know if it'll be possible, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get a PX because I want to see the specs first, and see other peoples reactions to it...

So it was a hard choice... but I can live without the sliders if needed, and if I do not want the PX anyway, I'll be in a keys dilemma... so I'll just cross my fingers, that Dave decides that also the X will be made as a module like the P12 someday... I have a feeling that it might, and if not... too bad, I can live with something else...

Also, I want to get started, and I'll like to have a compact setup from the get go... I'll have that now... just the REV2 in front of me, and as soon as the KB37 has been sold, I'll have the funds to purchase the voice upgrade which is important.

So it's done... just me and my 16 voice REV2 together for the next 6 months creating heaps of presets (that I will probably start selling somehow)... and then time will tell what purchase comes next... if any... now I just hope my REV2 keys will arrive without any need for exchanging the panel because of faulty encoders :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #701 on: May 31, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Please don’t take this the wrong way because it is meant as a compliment... but perhaps you should change the name of the thread to “Razmo’s Gear Rant & Saga”
 :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #702 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
Please don’t take this the wrong way because it is meant as a compliment... but perhaps you should change the name of the thread to “Razmo’s Gear Rant & Saga”

"Razmo's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld" as he tries to create a huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the Ultraworld?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #703 on: June 01, 2018, 01:51:00 AM »

Hehe, I cannot argue with that :D

I'll eventually reach from point A to point B... But the road will be bumpy ... Hell, I think I'm way beyond point B, I'm running out of letters soon :\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:53:56 AM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #704 on: June 01, 2018, 04:41:46 AM »

I'll eventually reach from point A to point B... But the road will be bumpy ... Hell, I think I'm way beyond point B, I'm running out of letters soon :\
I thought perhaps you had come full circle... 2 or 3 times already.
 :D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #705 on: June 01, 2018, 04:44:45 AM »
Everything will come full circle when Razmo changes his avatar to Gollum holding a PER.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #706 on: June 01, 2018, 04:59:49 AM »

I thought perhaps you had come full circle... 2 or 3 times already.
 :D

Put in the 4rth dimension into the equation, and I guess we are there :D

chysn

« Reply #707 on: June 01, 2018, 05:00:17 AM »
I'm still waiting for Razmo to announce that he's selling all his synths to focus on his puppetry.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #708 on: June 01, 2018, 05:00:48 AM »
Everything will come full circle when Razmo changes his avatar to Gollum holding a PER.

Erm... I recall I had that once already :D ... but this time it should be REV2... not PER :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #709 on: June 01, 2018, 05:01:34 AM »
I'm still waiting for Razmo to announce that he's selling all his synths to focus on his puppetry.

You're going too fast Chysn... i don't even have any synths yet... REV2 won't be here until next week :D

« Reply #710 on: June 01, 2018, 05:44:02 AM »

Erm... I recall I had that once already :D

I know. That's what I was referring to.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Skimmed the Prophet X manual, and it seems that it has all the usual SysEx implementations... unfortunately, as allways these days, there are absolutely NO information about what the SysEx strings include... no indexes or anything, so I hope that DSI will be willing to part with this info at some point so that I'll not need to reverse engineer the structure for an editor... also that omission makes it a bit hard to figure out what is included, and how the pointing to used samples is handled... otherwise it looks like a nice piece of gear that I'm certainly thinking about getting... but probably only if it comes as a module s well... a contender is the Waldorf Quantum, but that would also require i module version... I'll just be waiting to see what happens :)

« Reply #712 on: June 01, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
otherwise it looks like a nice piece of gear that I'm certainly thinking about getting... but probably only if it comes as a module s well... a contender is the Waldorf Quantum, but that would also require i module version... I'll just be waiting to see what happens :)

I wouldn't hold my breath for a module version of both. What's in the PX doesn't really fit into any known DSI module formats. And I also doubt that Waldorf could find a nice UI compromise for a Quantum module.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #713 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
otherwise it looks like a nice piece of gear that I'm certainly thinking about getting... but probably only if it comes as a module s well... a contender is the Waldorf Quantum, but that would also require i module version... I'll just be waiting to see what happens :)

I wouldn't hold my breath for a module version of both. What's in the PX doesn't really fit into any known DSI module formats. And I also doubt that Waldorf could find a nice UI compromise for a Quantum module.

I'm not holding my breath ... I just hope it might happen, otherwise I'll have to get a keyboard version at that time, and then try to swap the REV2 keys for a module instead... but right now, I'm just going to focus on the REV2 again... for a loooong time.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #714 on: June 01, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

But what is it, specifically, in the Prophet X, that you think will make a module version unlikely? ... in my point of view, the interface is not much different to what is on a Prophet 12 keyboard, except for a few extra displays... the P12 module was possible, and i don't see why such an approach should not be possible? ... the two  extra screens information could easily be ported to show on the big OLED display... No sample editing is taking place on the device itself, software handle this on a computer... so I'm currious as to why you think a module version would not happen?

Also, the compact aproach of the P12 module made it A LOT cheaper than the keyboard version, so I actually see a good reason to create a module version of the Prophet X, so that people who do not need the huge interface could get the "engine" in this P12 module format at a much reduced pricepoint... the X is quite expensive so many would love to see this as a module priced about a third lower or something.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:07:48 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #715 on: June 01, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
But what is it, specifically, in the Prophet X, that you think will make a module version unlikely? ... in my point of view, the interface is not much different to what is on a Prophet 12 keyboard, except for a few extra displays... the P12 module was possible, and i don't see why such an approach should not be possible? ... the two  extra screens information could easily be ported to show on the big OLED display... No sample editing is taking place on the device itself, software handle this on a computer... so I'm currious as to why you think a module version would not happen?

First of all, it needs the 3 displays for this particular concept. Sure it could probably all be done via the main display, but that would take quite a bit of effort. You don't just desolder 2 small displays and be done with it. The according display information would have to get redestributed to the main display. That alone would need additional coding, but it would need even more for the newly designed samples and effects menus. Too much of a hassle.

On top of that, redesigning the control boards for behind the front panel would also be much more of a challenge.

Without disclosing too much: the PX contains more stuff inside than the P12. You couldn't fit it all in the housing of the P12 module. That would be impossible, UI decisions aside.

If at all, a PX module would have to be at least as deep as the P12 module (the PX is about an inch deeper than the P12), and as high and wide as the P-6/OB-6 modules. It would certainly not be anything you could just throw into your backpack, which kind of defies the whole idea of a desktop module these days.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:21:21 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #716 on: June 01, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »

First of all, it needs the 3 displays for this particular concept. Sure it could probably all be done via the main display, but that would take quite a bit of effort. You don't just desolder 2 small displays and be done with it. The according display information would have to get redestributed to the main display. That alone would need additional coding, but it would need even more for the newly designed samples and effects menus. Too much of a hassle.

On top of that, redesigning the control boards for behind the front panel would also be much more of a challenge.

Without disclosing too much: the PX contains more stuff inside than the P12. You couldn't fit it all in the housing of the P12 module. That would be impossible, UI decisions aside.

If at all, a PX module would have to be at least as deep as the P12 module, and as high and wide as the P-6/OB-6 modules. It would certainly not be anything you could just throw into your backpack

Sure... but there are definitely also different code in the P12 module, since the interface works VERY different to the keys with the lack of all the knobs etc... so sure it will need another specialized OS like the P12 module, but I don't see it as impossible... if they could do this with the P12 module why not the X?

The two displays by the way, are so small that they could easily be included on a module version... also, the later OB6, P6 and REV2 modules show that DSI even put all the controls on a module version...

I don't see why it should not be feasible... I may be wrong, but I'l hope anyway :D

« Reply #717 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Sure... but there are definitely also different code in the P12 module, since the interface works VERY different to the keys with the lack of all the knobs etc... so sure it will need another specialized OS like the P12 module, but I don't see it as impossible... if they could do this with the P12 module why not the X?

But the menu structure and the menus are identical in the case of the P12 and the P12 module. You would have to set up new main display menu tabs for the sample engine and the effects section and change the circuit accordingly. It might not be impossible, but definitely more work than in case of the P12 module, or any other module they've done so far for that matter.

The two displays by the way, are so small that they could easily be included on a module version... also, the later OB6, P6 and REV2 modules show that DSI even put all the controls on a module version...

I don't see why it should not be feasible... I may be wrong, but I'l hope anyway :D

If you'd like to put all of the controls of the PX into a module, then the module would be as big as the original front panel minus the keyboard and the touch sliders and wheels. While I'm sure a UI compromise between something the P12 module and the original PX design could probably be found, there's still stuff in the PX that needs a bit more space than the P12 boards.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #718 on: June 01, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

But the menu structure and the menus are identical in the case of the P12 and the P12 module. You would have to set up new main display menu tabs for the sample engine and the effects section and change the circuit accordingly. It might not be impossible, but definitely more work than in case of the P12 module, or any other module they've done so far for that matter.

If you'd like to put all of the controls of the PX into a module, then the module would be as big as the original front panel minus the keyboard and the touch sliders and wheels. While I'm sure a UI compromise between something the P12 module and the original PX design could probably be found, there's still stuff in the PX that needs a bit more space than the P12 boards.

Yes... but the P12 also followed the racking specifications, and had rack ears... later models of their modules are wider and if I'm right; also deeper... you have an extra row of controls on the new modules I've noticed, to shrink down on the width, deepening the module instead which does not matter much as the keys are gone...

I'm not familiar enough with the architecture of the engine, and how that would fit into a module version... but I still hope we'll see such a thing in one format or another, because I really do not have space for two keyboards... I am though, puzzling with the idea of using only ONE keyboard synth for a project, which means I might get both the Prophet 12 and Prophet X in keyboard form, thus having the two I'm not using for a project stored on display in my livingroom... mainly because I like the idea of creating a composition using just one synth (for simplicity, and the compact idea)...

because lets face it... it IS possible to do full ambient works with just the REV2 if you want to... especially when each track is recorded in a DAW as layers so that the synth can be reused over and over again... but what I choose only time will tell.... i still like the idea of having those three synths (PX, P12 and REV2), one of them being a keys version. I just wish that the PX would be a module because I do think that it's keys version is a bit steep pricewise... if it could be made in a substancially cheaper module version I'd like that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:12:29 PM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #719 on: June 01, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »

1 display, 3 buttons.   Each button loads the appropriate menu onto the screen.  From a programming standpoint, that's not very complicated.  And I am pretty sure that DSI could develope a more elegant solution.  For example, the Pro2 screen adapts the information displayed in accordance with what knobs are being turned.