The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Razmo's Gear Rant Thread...
« Reply #1060 on: December 04, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »
I also decided to take the GAS fighting a step further... I will only be using the Quantum, and nothing else... I realized that three synths was just another excuse to buy more gear when the QUANTUM can do so many different types of synthesis anyway.
Of synths to try to tackle the world with, the Quantum is an excellent choice. It is a bit of a unique Chamaeleon in today’s synthesizer marketplace, and it really can tackle lots of various sonic ground.
Does this mean you’re selling your other synthesizers?

Yes... GT is the only one left. Two synthesizers mean double the space, half focus on each... I have to do This... it is me and my Quantum to the grave... I Will NOT even upgrade it if something new Can beat it because all my Sounds Will NOT port over Then.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
It's finally here  :)

Must say that the built quality of this thing is ace... the keybed is probably the best I've played, especially with the aftertouch which is absolutely perfect... I almost quit on aftertouch because most keybeds suck at it, but this is actually useable. I was also surprised to see that both wheels are of solid metal giving them a really sturdy feel.

The visual feedback on this thing is nothing short of incredible... the color LEDs on the knobs may look like a christmas tree, but it's really informative, and all the moving/animated feedback on the display is really helpfull... even the FX compressor has vicual feedback on how it lowers the volume in realtime with waveform view and all... really impressive.

I also like the sound a lot... it sits very neutral I'd say, so it's not a MOOG bass boomer, but it certainly has bass if you want it to.

I'm really happy with thi synth... finally I'm free from SoundDiver and third party editors for synths... it's a completely self contained piece of gear. It will do almost any sound, and is especially suited for ambient styles.

now it is time to dive in deep and get to know this synth all out...

I don't think I woud miss anything else, except maybe for the lack of analog oscillators, but I will not know for sure until I've spent a lot more time with it... currently I can see an advantage in having this plus a MOOG ONE, as they would complement each other nicely I think... maybe a less expensive solution like a monophonic analog synth to go with it for those analog ocillators... Maybe even a Waldorf Pulse 2 would do the trick nicely... but now we're into GAS territory again, so I better just SHUT UP and get going  ;D

« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
A normal card deck has 52 cards in it and can supposedly be shuffled 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000 different ways. People claim the P6 is bread and butter, yet every time I switch it on I learn something new, however subtle it may be. As long as I have a nice poly VCO, I'm happy and if I had a Moog One I certainly wouldn't need another synth. As it is, I'm never going to run out of new pleasing and usable sound palettes.

Shaw

« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2019, 09:31:15 PM »
It's finally here  :)

Must say that the built quality of this thing is ace... the keybed is probably the best I've played, especially with the aftertouch which is absolutely perfect... I almost quit on aftertouch because most keybeds suck at it, but this is actually useable. I was also surprised to see that both wheels are of solid metal giving them a really sturdy feel.

The visual feedback on this thing is nothing short of incredible... the color LEDs on the knobs may look like a christmas tree, but it's really informative, and all the moving/animated feedback on the display is really helpfull... even the FX compressor has vicual feedback on how it lowers the volume in realtime with waveform view and all... really impressive.

I also like the sound a lot... it sits very neutral I'd say, so it's not a MOOG bass boomer, but it certainly has bass if you want it to.

I'm really happy with thi synth... finally I'm free from SoundDiver and third party editors for synths... it's a completely self contained piece of gear. It will do almost any sound, and is especially suited for ambient styles.

now it is time to dive in deep and get to know this synth all out...

I don't think I woud miss anything else, except maybe for the lack of analog oscillators, but I will not know for sure until I've spent a lot more time with it... currently I can see an advantage in having this plus a MOOG ONE, as they would complement each other nicely I think... maybe a less expensive solution like a monophonic analog synth to go with it for those analog ocillators... Maybe even a Waldorf Pulse 2 would do the trick nicely... but now we're into GAS territory again, so I better just SHUT UP and get going  ;D
Bitchin'!  There's something to be said about siting down with one instrument and hitting record.

Congratulations!   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1064 on: December 12, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
I wanted a directional shotgun microphone to go with my Quantum, so that I can record all types of acoustic things, and I have ordered a Sennheiser MKH 416 P48... I think this will prove useful, both at home and out in the fields.

I quickly realized though, that it is a condenser mic, and that it wants 48v of phantom power that neither Quantum or RME AIO soundcard has, so now I have had to order a standalone preamp as well  ::) ... for outdoor use I will have to find yet another solution, but that can wait.

Also, next month I may purchase an e Touche controller for the Quantum. Quantum has a host USB port that should allow to connect this directly to the Quantum. I find that with so many ways to modulate stuff on the Quantum, and 40 modulation slots, that some extra physical controls would be handy, and the e Touche controller looks nice and sensitive.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1065 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
And something to make it work with phantom power outside was also needed  ::)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1066 on: January 21, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
Well... It seems like I have found the right tool for my third synth. .. PRO3... I have really warmed up to the PRO3 sound as it seems to have both that cool vintage sound that I need for basses, leads and sequences, but also what to me remind me of the dirty hybrid sound of the Evolvers.

The Evolvers hybrid architecture always sounded profoundly hybrid to me... Not just what sounds like digital oscillators thru analog filters... Many other hybrids do not have that character, but Evolver and Pro3 does... PROOHET12 do not for some reason... It sounds too "separated" in lack of better words... Many things digital sounds too clinic even thru analog filters i feel... A good hybrid sound makes the digital part morph into something in between digital and analog, making it its own sound character... Do not know how else to describe it. Other old synths that had this was Microwave 1, ESQ-1 and the like.

I will also be using the PRO3 as a source for samples for Quantum, trying to pull some of that analog sound into polyphony on Quantum for pads etc.

I've allready saved up more than half the SE price, and should have it funded in two months time which fits the date at which Thomann will have it in stock... So until then it is just me and my Quantum spending some quality time together.

I hope I will get used to programing the PRO3 solely from its panel so that I do not have to create editors again... But it looks like it would be easy to get used to.

jg666

« Reply #1067 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »
I find the Pro2 easy enough to use from the panel alone and it looks like they've made the Pro3 even better from this point of view, so I can't imagine you having any issues with it :)

One of the main things I miss when going from the Pro2 to any of my other synths is the view of the envelopes on the screen. I find that really useful.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1068 on: January 22, 2020, 02:13:15 AM »
I find the Pro2 easy enough to use from the panel alone and it looks like they've made the Pro3 even better from this point of view, so I can't imagine you having any issues with it :)

One of the main things I miss when going from the Pro2 to any of my other synths is the view of the envelopes on the screen. I find that really useful.

I assume that PRO3 will also have that feature (?) ... but yes... any parameter you tweak should be viewable in the display, especially with those few controls that serve as more than one parameter like the LFOs and Envelopes.

« Reply #1069 on: January 22, 2020, 02:15:22 AM »

I assume that PRO3 will also have that feature (?)

Yes, the Pro 3 displays the envelopes.