What Is the New Andromeda?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: What Is the New Andromeda?
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
I'd say the Modal Electronics 008 is the closest thing to a single-instrument new Andromeda A6.  I realize there is a difference in voice counts, but still.  The 008 seems to be the biggest mightiest single unit polyphonic instrument available that is priced somewhat within the range of a synthesist with some resources (bye-bye Schmidt).

The tantalizing question is, will DSI ever enter this level of powerful synthesis at which a certain sonic character is absolutely essential, together with sophistication?  This would probably require a second Sequential instrument, something with the sound of the Prophet-6 but the sophistication of the Prophet 12.  Would DSI pass that scary $3,000 mark to produce it?  I think it's possible.  But with Dave's Rev2 comments about 'modern and less expensive technology,' perhaps it wouldn't be too far beyond that price.  Besides, I believe the Andromeda sold for $3,000. 

I would love to see DSI take the daring step and surpass the P12 with a comparable VCA synthesizer.  I've been saying this for years, but I'm still optimistic.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:47:03 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
I'd say the Modal Electronics 008 is the closest thing to a single-instrument new Andromeda A6.  I realize there is a difference in voice counts, but still.  The 008 seems to be the biggest strongest single unit polyphonic instrument available that is priced somewhat within the range of a synthesist with some resources.

The filter section is quite powerful. One has to tinker around with it in person though, otherwise it may not be that obvious.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
Paul, have you played an 008?  I'm wondering about the keyboard quality.  I presume it's excellent.

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »
I'd say the Modal Electronics 008 is the closest thing to a single-instrument new Andromeda A6.  I realize there is a difference in voice counts, but still.  The 008 seems to be the biggest mightiest single unit polyphonic instrument available that is priced somewhat within the range of a synthesist with some resources (bye-bye Schmidt).

The tantalizing question is, will DSI ever enter this level of powerful synthesis at which a certain sonic character is absolutely essential, together with sophistication?  This would probably require a second Sequential instrument, something with the sound of the Prophet-6 but the sophistication of the Prophet 12.  Would DSI pass that scary $3,000 mark to produce it?  I think it's possible.  But with Dave's Rev2 comments about 'modern and less expensive technology,' perhaps it wouldn't be too far beyond that price.  Besides, I believe the Andromeda sold for $3,000. 

I would love to see DSI take the daring step and surpass the P12 with a comparable VCA synthesizer.  I've been saying this for years, but I'm still optimistic.

Interesting perspective–in some respects, the Modal units (001/002 family and 008) surpass the Andromeda as regards (single-instance) filter flexibility, yet the Alesis unit remains king by virtue of modulation flexibility and raw voice / part count (neglecting built-in effects, which were also pretty decent on the Andromeda).

So even across multiple manufacturers, one is still left with the perception that one can have X or Y, or partial compositions thereof, but not all of X + Y within a single current product offering, regardless of manufacturer(s).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:14:32 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
Paul, have you played an 008?  I'm wondering about the keyboard quality.  I presume it's excellent.

Twice actually. But at Superbooth I had the chance to play it more extensively with some developers around. The filter really features some unique combinations. Sonically, that stood out most to me. And I liked the fact that you can use the animator and the sequencer at the same time.

The keyboard quality is excellent. I believe it's a Fatar as well.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
I haven't played the Rev 2 yet, but I'm hoping its improved keyboard quality will be the new standard in future DSI synthesizers.  How would you rate the Rev2's keyboard compared with that of the 008?

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
I haven't played the Rev 2 yet, but I'm hoping its improved keyboard quality will be the new standard in future DSI synthesizers.  How would you rate the Rev2's keyboard compared with that of the 008?

I couldn't compare both side by side, but I'd say that they feel equally good. The REV2 keyboard is definitely an improvement.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
That's good enough for me!  I'm glad to know this.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
After one month of working with this masterpiece, I'm confidently placing my vote.  The Prophet 12 is the new Andromeda A6.  Yes, there is some competition for this status, but only if you make the price tag a non-factor.  Within the $3,000 range, the P12 is definitely the winner.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:48:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
After one month of working with this masterpiece, I'm confidently placing my vote.  The Prophet 12 is the new Andromeda A6.  Yes, there is some competition for this status, but only if you make the price tag a non-factor.  Within the $3,000 range, the P12 is definitely the winner.

Hey, congratulations! It's about time!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
Thanks! 

LoboLives

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2017, 04:01:49 AM »
I'm sorry but comparing the P12 to the Andromeda isn't even a competition. The P12 is a Digital/analog bi timbral hybrid. The Andromeda is a multimbral 16 voice analog synth with loads more features.

Can the P12 have 16 different sequences and patches running at once?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
To a degree, I agree with you.  When I say the Prophet 12 is the new Andromeda, just as when I posed the original question, I'm speaking in general.  Obviously, no instrument is going to exactly match the A6, just as no instrument is going to exactly match the P12.  They are two distinct instruments from two distinct eras.  But in general, for impressive polyphony and complexity, I think the two are in the same league.  And best of all, the P12 is in production and being maintained, which is far more than could have been said for Alesis and the A6.  That's the primary reason I never bought one. 

So, for those of us who can't swing a bill bigger than $3,000, the P12 is a very impressive possibility, whereas, the large Modal Electronics instruments are out of the question, even though you might find their synthesizers to be better matches for the Andromeda.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:54:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
And best of all, the P12 is in production and being maintained, which is far more than could have been said for Alesis.  That's the primary reason I never bought an A6.

+1

I came so close to picking up an Andromeda a couple years ago, but I read one too many (or perhaps, one enough) stories about folks trying to get the damned thing fixed. 

AND I would add this... I'll trust DSI build quality over Alesis any time. I've owned enough Alesis kit over the years, and it's fair to say that build quality was never their forté.

TRUE, they both cover sonic ground that the other can't approach. That can be said about any 2 synths. And there will never be another A6 (unless U-he sets their sights on it).
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2017, 08:56:31 AM »
Exactly.  I, too, had the money in my hand to buy an A6, but, due to the issues, I decided instead to make an eight-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard.  It was some consolation, but still, there's a sense that a classic was missed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:08:45 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »
And best of all, the P12 is in production and being maintained, which is far more than could have been said for Alesis.  That's the primary reason I never bought an A6.

+1

I came so close to picking up an Andromeda a couple years ago, but I read one too many (or perhaps, one enough) stories about folks trying to get the damned thing fixed. 

AND I would add this... I'll trust DSI build quality over Alesis any time. I've owned enough Alesis kit over the years, and it's fair to say that build quality was never their forté.

TRUE, they both cover sonic ground that the other can't approach. That can be said about any 2 synths. And there will never be another A6 (unless U-he sets their sights on it).

It's worth pointing out that many of the old Sequential units can still be serviced, even after 30+ years, provided that you can score the necessary parts, where scarce.

And in spite of owning an eight-voice 002 rack unit, I am still strongly considering a Prophet-12 (keyboard version if I can swing it). They're different enough that I don't feel that a dive into an under-supported, modern-vintage analogue polysynth is warranted any more.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
I don't know what else DSI can do in the analog realm that'll be mind blowing except for multitimbrality...I'd love to see Dave tackle that....not sure he would though. I just feel anything else is redundant at this point when it comes to analog. Probably why I didn't go for an OB6 or Deep Mind 12...it's just a mono timbral analog synth with very little difference to my Prophet 6. I'll probably go for a Rev2 at some point just cause it's different but even still...duo timbrality has been done decades ago...let's move on.

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
I don't know what else DSI can do in the analog realm that'll be mind blowing except for multitimbrality...I'd love to see Dave tackle that....not sure he would though. I just feel anything else is redundant at this point when it comes to analog. Probably why I didn't go for an OB6 or Deep Mind 12...it's just a mono timbral analog synth with very little difference to my Prophet 6. I'll probably go for a Rev2 at some point just cause it's different but even still...duo timbrality has been done decades ago...let's move on.

I used to think the same way about multi-timbrality, though it's tough to do well without a more elaborate MIDI master keyboard controller framework (like the Ensoniq stuff had, but that the DSI synths lack). I'd rather see split/layer done well than multitimbral done poorly. (I'd guess that the Tempest falls into the multitimbral category, but lacks the need for keyboard zone mapping.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:36:07 PM by DavidDever »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
I think more could be gotten out of split capability if the musician could allocate the number of voices per side, rather than always have the instrument divide the voices evenly.  In the case of the Prophet 12, then you could have ten voices on the left for accompaniment, and two on the right for melody.  The same could be true for layers.  For example, if you were playing chord progressions, the top line of which comprised your melody, then a second layer set to top note priority could be used to follow and emphasize the melody and add color to it.  In other words, there's still more to be exploited from in bi-timbrality.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:14:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
I think more could be gotten out of split capability if the musician could allocate the number of voices per side, rather than always have the instrument divide the voices evenly.  In the case of the Prophet 12, then you could have ten voices on the left for accompaniment, and two on the right for melody.  The same could be true for layers.  For example, if you were playing chord progressions, the top line of which comprised your melody, then a second layer set to top note priority could be used to follow and emphasize the melody and add color to it.  In other words, there's still more to be exploited from in bi-timbrality.

The six-voice case has been done, as early as the dawn of MIDI:

and to a more sophisticated extent, in the Oberheim Matrix-6/6R: http://www.cyborgstudio.com/synthmp3s/oberheim/matrix6/manual/matrix6ownersmanual.pdf, p.74

An expert mode for keyboard range / voice re-assignment would definitely be a plus; I understand the desire to keep as many operating parameters as superficial as possible, yet there are cases where users can be trusted to make their own decisions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:22:17 PM by DavidDever »