What Is the New Andromeda?

Shaw

Re: What Is the New Andromeda?
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »
I understand.  Well, you should feel a little better now.  :o
MUCH!!!

Thank you!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
I must confess to you that several years ago, when I was considering an Andromeda myself, this gorgeous picture would practically keep me awake at night.  It's obviously been doctored, but, wow, what a dream machine.

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
What about John Bowen's Solaris?
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 02:58:53 PM »
That's a possibility.  Presently, this is the only version of the Solaris I can afford:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272328186670?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:00:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
...Haha. Yes, we could even get two at that price.

It's a beauty of an instrument, but wouldn't it bother you that the Solaris is digital?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
Obviously, I'm an analog guy, and I did like the Andromeda's sound.  I haven't actually played any modern digital synthesizers, so my judgments are based only on online demos.  I'm not currently moved by the simple raw tone of anything these days.  Nothing has struck me as being so much better than what I already have. 

I had a Roland FP-4 digital piano a few years ago, and it had a decent selection of digital synthesizer pads.  They were beautiful to play around with, but in time, I grew tired of them.  Nor did they mix well with my analog synthesizers.  So, yes, I would prefer to stay with analog.

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
It's a beauty of an instrument, but wouldn't it bother you that the Solaris is digital?

Why should it?
A good synth is a good synth irrespective of the technology.

You can do a lot of stuff on the Solaris that would be incredibly expensive or just impossible on analogue synths.
It should do very good analogue emulations but you can also do digital emulations and mix and match in a modular way.

I'm very curious to see how well it can emulate analogue synths, but it can go well beyond just emulations.

I'll hopefully find out, I should have a Solaris shortly :-D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
Congratulations!  I hope you'll post some samples here.  I'd love to hear them.

LoboLives

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
Sorry about bringing back an old thread but no there is no current Andromeda and I sadly don't think we'll see it again, even from DSI. The Andromeda had bugs but it offered something almost no polysynth has ever offered: Multi-timbrality. Multiple splits and layers on the keys with multiple patches going at once and even multiple sequences at a single time. It was insanely powerful and flexible and it was analog. Literally an analog workstation that you could do everything from one single synth.  I honestly think if DSI/Sequential were to bring out the Prophet 20 which would be a 20 voice, analog poly synth with the features of the Andromeda but the stability of a DSI product...it would blow everything else out of the water on the market....including their past synths.

Dave has never been interested in doing a synth that does it all and it is a bit mind numbing that in 2017 we are still thinking bi-timbrality in an analog synth is a big deal. It's a big gap missing in the market...I mean even just 4 part timbrality would be better than nothing....but DSI, Moog, Korg, everyone doesn't seem to care. Sad. I mean shoot, even a collaboration between DSI and Korg's ARP department in bringing back a modern Quadra would be something different.

I think there's a huge gap in the market because too many companies are focusing on polyphony instead of timbrality.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
This is a great topic.  Not to be a wise guy, but...the closest thing to an Andromeda A6 would be a three-unit Prophet '08 or a Rev2 keyboard-module pair.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:12:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
This is a great topic.  Not to be a wise guy, but...the closest thing to an Andromeda A6 would be a three-unit Prophet '08 or a Rev2 keyboard-module pair.

Yeah but still not all under the hood. I mean like listen to the Andromeda itself, it has it's own sound. It's hard to place but it's almost like a Jupiter 8/Quadra and CS-80 had a baby. There's something unique to it. Even the layout and image of it is incredible.

I honestly think the first company to come out with something similar could potentially flatten the market, especially if it's reasonably priced and you know...$3000-$5000 is reasonable for what it does.

Shaw

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
DSI could certainly do this, but I doubt they want to devote the R&D to a product that will hardly sell -- it's simply out of most people's price range.  And DSI is running a business after all.

Nice dream though.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »
It's true - there's nothing like an Andromeda.  I had so wanted to buy one a few years ago, and I could have.  I resisted over the obvious issues.  But I'd gladly take an ARP Quadra instead!

LoboLives

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
DSI could certainly do this, but I doubt they want to devote the R&D to a product that will hardly sell -- it's simply out of most people's price range.  And DSI is running a business after all.

Nice dream though.

They just did a 16 Voice Polyphonic for less than $3000. So...perhaps some of this "New technology" could help reduce costs.

Shaw

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
the closest thing to an Andromeda A6 would be a three-unit Prophet '08 or a Rev2 keyboard-module pair.
Lately, I've thought of getting a couple of Oberheim Matrix 1000s and running them both through an Eventide Eclipse --- the Matrix 1000s were mono out, so a pair could be fed into the stereo inputs of the Eclipse either as "left and right" versions of the same patch, or two separate patches "glued" together by the Eclipse.

Random comment, I know, but your "three-unit Prophet '08 or a Rev2 keyboard-module pair" idea is in the same vein.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
I understand.  This stuff is addictive.

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:19 AM »
It's true - there's nothing like an Andromeda.  I had so wanted to buy one a few years ago, and I could have.  I resisted over the obvious issues.  But I'd gladly take an ARP Quadra instead!

Hmm, that string sound, though, tends to cover everything in a sticky coating unless you leave the space for it in a mix–and, of course, there is no patch recall in the traditional sense. I've got a trio of ARP Omnis (1x mkI + 2x mkII) that are next on my slow-boat refurb list, so I'm definitely familiar with that timbre!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2017, 06:20:24 AM »

Hmm, that string sound, though, tends to cover everything in a sticky coating unless you leave the space for it in a mix–and, of course, there is no patch recall in the traditional sense. I've got a trio of ARP Omnis (1x mkI + 2x mkII) that are next on my slow-boat refurb list, so I'm definitely familiar with that timbre!

This is why I think it would be neat for Dave and Tatsuya Takahashi to do an updated Quadra with presets and fix the bugs.

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
I think an interesting contest could be had between the Prophet 12 and the 002.  The designers and owners of both boast that these instruments and their digital oscillators have achieved sonic wonders that make analog oscillators blush.  I would love to see and hear the two parties compare their instruments.  And if one excels in some way or another, I'd like to understand exactly why that is.  The discussion would obviously come down to much filter talk, but again, I'd like to follow it.

On the face of it you'd think they'd be quite similar given they are both digital oscillators into analogue filters, but you'd be wrong.  They sound completely unlike each other.

Turns out they have completely different oscillators and completely different filters.
The P12 has mathematically generated waveforms that go into a DAC, the 002 uses NCOs that effectively speed up or slow down the DAC to generate different pitches.
The P12 has the well known Curtis filter, the 002 has a variable slope ladder (read Moog) filter.

The P12 is the more versatile of the two with all its mad modulations, but thats not to say the 002 is a slouch.  It is also a very versatile synth.
They can both go from analogue to digital but the P12 can go further to a very pure digital, harsh if you want it.
The 002 has a more vintage digital sound, which has a different character, the only other synth I have like it is the Tempest with it's VS waves.

The P12 analogue side is similar to the P08 with better low end and the addition of drive. You can also do the same tricks as the P08 to get better sounds.
The 002 analogue side is ...beautiful.  While many of the waveforms sound are obviously digital, the sawtooth just sounds like an analogue sawtooth.  Put that through a ladder filter and you can't lose.

The 002 does have a strange output stage with 6 voices hard left, 6 hard right.  It's easy to work around or even use creatively but a lot of people don't like it.

Tone wise I personally say the 002 wins.  It just sounds so good, and does so pretty much all the time.
That's not to say the P12 is bad, it is also capable of some very good sounds.

Of course, both have their detractors, they both have their own character and not everyone likes them.
I like both and have no plans to get rid of either.

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 02:51:37 AM »
I think an interesting contest could be had between the Prophet 12 and the 002.  The designers and owners of both boast that these instruments and their digital oscillators have achieved sonic wonders that make analog oscillators blush.  I would love to see and hear the two parties compare their instruments.  And if one excels in some way or another, I'd like to understand exactly why that is.  The discussion would obviously come down to much filter talk, but again, I'd like to follow it.

On the face of it you'd think they'd be quite similar given they are both digital oscillators into analogue filters, but you'd be wrong.  They sound completely unlike each other.

I second this. They're both complementary to each other. It's like comparing a Minimoog to a Two Voice Pro; that's pretty much how different they are in terms of sound and features.