What Is the New Andromeda?

Sacred Synthesis

What Is the New Andromeda?
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
I'm always searching for big polyphonic (and monophonic) synthesizers.  They're rare, expensive, and seem to many folks to be esoteric instruments.  Several years ago, I was deciding between a second Prophet '08 and an Andromeda A6.  The Andromeda was knowingly being discontinued, had a reputation for being buggy, and Alesis' customer service was infamously poor.  So, I went with another Prophet '08 and have regrets.  I love the P'08 to bits, but I'm still always keeping my eyes open for new large-scale instruments.  So, what is the new Andromeda A6?  What has filled the vacuum left by that analog behemoth?  Thus far, my best solution has been to expand my Poly Evolver Keyboard with a Rack version, and my Prophet '08 with a Module version.  These are now wonderful instruments, but I'm still looking for the "big one."

What do folks consider the best big poly synths currently in production, having the classic analog character?   I know Modal Electronics first comes to mind.  The 008 and the 002 are fine candidates, but what else?  The 008 is a whopping $5,000, which makes starting in the ME direction a bit like human sacrifice.  The 002 is also great, but I'm not looking for an instrument with its digital sonic range.  I've got my Evolvers for that. 

Other possibilities would be to build up an instrument from P-6 or OB-6 modules.  The down side of this approach is that multiple modules can make for a chaotic set up.  There's the Prophet 12, but this instrument still mystifies me, sound-wise.  Finally, DSI is supposedly coming out with a new large-scale instrument next year, but I haven't heard any details beyond that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:15:27 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: What Is the New Andromeda?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Whatever it is, each analogue voice ought to be independently replaceable, as with the Prophet 6; on the A6, one cannot fix individual voices without replacing the entire voice board.

IMHO that rules that instrument out, or alternately, necessitates the purchase of a backup voice board PCB at not insignificant cost.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
There are not really that many options:

A Prophet-6 +/- module, an OB-6 +/- module, a combined P-6/OB-6 setup that allows you to play two different synth voices as layers from one keyboard, or the Modal Electronics 008, which would come closest to the feature set of an Andromeda, or something like the Oberheim Matrix-12. Well, and if budget is no issue, then there's of course the Schmidt. I guess that's about it when it comes to current polyphonic VCO synths for grown-ups.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:51:50 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
Yes, that's about it for synths for grown-ups, as you say.  I find this shocking.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
It's a niche market, that's for sure. Plus: as the examples show, these instruments are impossible to manufacture in an affordable manner - at least if you want discreet components. Most practical oriented gigging musicians will maybe get one for the studio, but for the road they'll rather use a Korg Kronos, a Nord product, or a Yamaha Montage. Exceptions may be a couple of so-called EDM artists, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:12:38 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »
Basically, I don't think that a lot has changed in that regard since the 1990s. Most practical oriented musicians that I know at least would also question the sonic advantages. It's mostly like, "well, that's nice, but if even I can't tell a difference, how would the audience." In that regard, analog polys are rather regarded as a fairly limited and highly specialized electronic instrument that is of no immediate use for those, who mainly "want to get the job done."

I know an older guy, for example, who's totally into Wersi keyboards and workstations - all the stuff that is great for wedding bands, churches, and solo-entertainers. He doesn't understand what the fuss is all about when it comes to analog. He always says, "yeah, but isn't this exactly like the old Prophets and Rolands from the 1980s? What's so special about that? My keyboard can do all that and more." And he owned a Hammond B-3, Prophets, Moogs, Jupiters, and an Odyssey in the past.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:34:50 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
I think it says something about synthesists, or the types of musicians that play synthesizer.  There obviously are precious few of the sit-down and play a full-scale piece of music types, which looks back to my other thread about solo synthesizer music.  The instrument is obviously used almost exclusively as a band instrument, even if the "band" is a drum machine and a multi-track recorder. 

The realistic choices for fully programmable polyphonic synthesizers are DSI and Modal Electronics.  These are the options for the solo synthesist, and that's about it.  I consider Roland and Korg to be in a class below these, even if they do make some fancy workstations.  Of course, this wasn't the case once upon a time, but that time has passed.  I think the field looked more interesting thirty-five or forty years ago.  This is why I'm still holding onto my first generation DSI synthesizers, and why expanding them further still makes good sense.  They're about as good as I can find these days.

Jeepers, I might as well start shopping around for a Polymoog

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:34:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
Well, Korg provided a playground for Tatsuya Takahashi and his team, while Roland contracted Malekko for their modulars. Both result in either highly affordable products or the modular market, which offers a far more flexible perspective. I mean, companies like Korg, Roland, or Yamaha wouldn't even get out of their beds for the sales numbers of companies like DSI, Moog, Elektron, Modal Electronics, and so on. Yet, these sales numbers give a good impression about the ratio between a couple of synth nerds like us and the average keyboarder that mainly provides those companies with money.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
Korg might have been the company for large synth guys, but no.  (The Kingkorg leaves me feeling bland.)  I'm thinking, for example, of the Trident and the PS-3100.  Where does one find the modern equivalents of these wonderful instruments?  Again, only from DSI and ME.  So there's no point in searching high and low for something else.  It's a matter of multiplying what little exists, of making a new "Trident" with a five-octave synthesizer and modules.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:02:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
It's a niche market, that's for sure.

Unless DSI does it, I don't see anyone else willing to do it at a reasonable price point.  (Sure, the $20k Schmidt will do what you want, but that price tag is too steep.)

Otherwise, you're better off stacking modules.  I stack various combinations of  P6 / OB6 / P12 from time to time.  Easy to do, great results, just need an analogue mixer.  :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
Korg might have been the company for large synth guys, but no.  (The Kingkorg leaves me feeling bland.)  I'm thinking, for example, of the Trident and the PS-3100.  Where does one find the modern equivalents of these wonderful instruments?  Again, only from DSI and ME.

It won't happen. The big companies are in it for big business. It's still nice that Korg provides Takahashi the freedom to design his instruments, which will in most cases be like entry drugs for those who seek analog tones. And I think it's great what he and his team are doing.

But let's say Korg or Roland decide to design an analog flagship, something that is more comparable to a Prophet-6 or a Modal 008. What would happen? - First of all, they would use their advantage to mass produce much cheaper, so those instruments would maybe be $1,000 less or offer more features or polyphony. The average customer will still compare it to a Kronos and the likes and come to the conclusion: the latter can do more. If those companies were lucky, they would maybe sell twice as many units as DSI for example, but that would still be way less than they can usually expect.

On the other side it's clear that those companies who provide us with current poly synths are dedicated to that. Without trying to sound too naive here, it can certainly be stated that people like Dave Smith or Paul Maddox do what they do because they like these kinds of instruments and the unique sounds they're capable of. That makes it a sort of afficionado business. It's a bit like going to a dedicated wine store with a commited seller with acquired taste as opposed to going to a liquor store just to get something that is going to guarantee you a bad headache the next day.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:06:48 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
Otherwise, you're better off stacking modules.  I stack various combinations of  P6 / OB6 / P12 from time to time.  Easy to do, great results, just need an analogue mixer.  :)

I would think a Prophet 12 combined with either two Prophet-6 Modules or two OB-6 Modules would cover all the bases.  Unless you're layering the P12, in which case one module would match the six voices.  That's something for a big synth guy to consider.

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »

I would think a Prophet 12 combined with either two Prophet-6 Modules or two OB-6 Modules would cover all the bases.  Unless you're layering the P12, in which case one module would match the six voices.  That's something for a big synth guy to consider.

When stacking the P12 with the P6 / OB6, I'm mindful not to exceed 6 voices... But you're right. A P12 and two P6s / OB6s would be a bad ass combination.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:22:20 PM »
Whatever it is, each analogue voice ought to be independently replaceable, as with the Prophet 6; on the A6, one cannot fix individual voices without replacing the entire voice board.

IMHO that rules that instrument out, or alternately, necessitates the purchase of a backup voice board PCB at not insignificant cost.

Thank you SO much for pointing that out.  I was close to getting an A6 a few weeks ago.  Thankful that I didn't.  My reasons at the time were: Alesis was never known for long lasting quality and age of the board (leading to increased frailty of an aging synth and lack of parts for inevitable breaks and failures).   I'll add needing to replace an entire voice board (which is no longer available) to the list reasons I'm thankful.

Many thanks.....   Oh and my Andromeda money went to a Pro 2 and a P12 module.  I think I made the wise choice.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »
...and now we have the new DM12 in this category, no?
Even if perhaps less parameters (especially the filter) than the ME008 but you get a 12 voices at 1/5th of the ME008 price!
Of course, we all need first to test it in a store before buying. Only a few months to wait...
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
...and now we have the new DM12 in this category, no?
Even if perhaps less parameters (especially the filter) than the ME008 but you get a 12 voices at 1/5th of the ME008 price!
Of course, we all need first to test it in a store before buying. Only a few months to wait...

Not really comparable. You have more waveform choices on the 008, which provides all classic analog waveforms plus one sub oscillator per VCO. On the DM12 you can only choose between saw and pulse (DCO1) and square (DCO2). And the filter options on the 008 are crazy. Add to that nicer build quality, layout, display, 12 extra keys, and multi-timbrality to name just a few things.

The DM12 might be a nice sounding and flexible synth, but high end synths remain high end synths.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 08:54:27 AM »
There's the Prophet 12, but this instrument still mystifies me, sound-wise.  Finally, DSI is supposedly coming out with a new large-scale instrument next year, but I haven't heard any details beyond that.

Agree about the Prophet 12. Almost got one as I loved the specs, possibilities, the panel and GUI(!) but was really disappointed when I hear it's sound (despite finding interesting the few videos on the net). But a few weeks later, I had the chance to try the Pro 2 in a store for a long time and was directly in love (same as P12 but unfortunately not full poly nor bi-timbral).

What about your last sentence? Rumor?
Waiting for a bi-timbral OB6/P6 or OB/P12 hybrid with the nice Pro 2 / P12 panel/screen/interface...
Hence also my interest in future creation from Behringer as well...

Will try having a look to the ME002 but indeed very - very - expensive  :-\
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
I couldn't consider the DeepMind 12 to be the new Andromeda.  The DM12 is basically a glorified Juno 106 with onboard effects.  It's neat and cute and looks fun, but it's far from the big leagues.  I'd say the Modal Electronics instruments come much closer to A6 status.  And the Prophet 12 as well.

As for the forthcoming new DSI synthesizer, we know next to nothing about it - only that's it's been in the works for a while and may be a large instrument.  With the successes of the P12, P-6, and OB-6, wouldn't it be fabulous if DSI put it all together and produced a massive new flagship?  It's time to push the borders again.  I'm always hoping, hoping, hoping for the new Andromeda. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:25:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
Am I the only one who's like to see selectable OSCs -- DCO or digital?

For example, a 4 OSC layout (like the P12) where the OSCs are totally selectable -- all 4 DCOs, all 4 digital, 2 and 2, whatever...

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »
Am I the only one who's like to see selectable OSCs -- DCO or digital?

For example, a 4 OSC layout (like the P12) where the OSCs are totally selectable -- all 4 DCOs, all 4 digital, 2 and 2, whatever...
It's basically a selectable analogue waveshaper stage.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000