Wood Panels

chysn

Wood Panels
« on: October 28, 2021, 08:06:40 AM »
I was almost... almost... ready to buy a Pro 3 SE to replace my standard Pro 3. I didn't want the tilt-up panel so much as I wanted the wood sides.

Somebody on the Facebook Pro 3 group pointed out this seller: https://synthcraft.co/products/sequential-pro-3-panels

I ordered what appears to have been the last in-stock set. I'll post pictures when the panels are attached to my Pro 3, and comment on the build quality and attachment.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Wood Panels
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
I agree - they'll greatly improve the appearance of the instrument.  No, I think it will sound better, too.

chysn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
No, I think it will sound better, too.

I think there's something to that.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
It's the only thing keeping the Pro 3 from sounding exactly like a Minimoog.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »
I seem to go against the grain. I like the plastic side panels with the Sequential inlay. When I was deciding which one to get at NAMM, it was a tough choice. I ended up with the lovely Pro 3 SE, but I also quite like the inlay on the Pro 3, too. Of course, I'm still happy with the tilted panel and wood side panels on the Pro 3 SE.

Enjoy the new wood panels for your Pro 3.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

chysn

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 06:10:43 PM »
I seem to go against the grain.

Bwa ha! I see what you did there.

But, yeah, the plastic's really not so bad. In my case, the wood will be a cohesive touch. My Pro 3 sits on my grandma's antique wooden console table in a room with a piano and acoustic guitars. It's kind of a space defined by wood.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 08:27:40 PM »
I actually don't mind the standard SE, but it is surrounded by other keyboards, and I also like to play live sometimes. The lighter weight and simpler panel is a plus there.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
you could make them yourself. 100 dollars is a bit expensive. Circular saw, wood panel, varnish.

But just like a guitar, a synth could be personalized.
Painting, patterns, color of keys, change of potentiometers.

:) It's work ...
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:59 PM »
you could make them yourself. 100 dollars is a bit expensive. Circular saw, wood panel, varnish.

But just like a guitar, a synth could be personalized.
Painting, patterns, color of keys, change of potentiometers.

:) It's work ...
Not everyone has the skill, equipment, or even space for it. Plus, yeah some people would just rather play a synth and pay a pro to make nice cheeks.

$100 is on the pricey side for cheeks though. I usually see them for $60-70 for other synths.

chysn

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 06:25:33 AM »
If they were just slabs that I could cut and screw on, yeah, I'd do it myself. I'm skilled enough to build, say, a eurorack case. But Pro 3 sides have to screw on from behind and underneath, and I'm not sure how to do such cuts accurately.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
I've very pleased with the quality of these panels from Synthcraft. The tolerances are so tight that at first I thought they wouldn't fit. But no, they just fit so perfectly that it takes a while to get them in place. The backs are routed out so that there's no gap on the sides. There's no way I'd have been able to do this kind of woodwork myself.

The metal Sequential Circuits badge is from ebay, probably totally unlicensed. I chose its placement based on the Pro One, whose badge is aligned with the keyboard due to a screw on the far left. I think all Sequential instruments should have these front badges.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:23:10 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »
Wow... that looks really nice!  Definitely gives it a vintage feel.   I can see why the panels are a bit pricey... some nice detailed woodworking on the inside.

Feeling some envy... 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
Yep looks great.

But how does it SOUND now?

chysn

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 05:49:11 PM »
Yep looks great.

But how does it SOUND now?

Um… phat?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 06:58:25 AM »
There; now that's how a synthesizer should look!  Gorgeous.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 03:22:16 PM »
ah ok, the embedding work is still more complex than I thought. Well done, very good achievement.
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
I've very pleased with the quality of these panels from Synthcraft. The tolerances are so tight that at first I thought they wouldn't fit. But no, they just fit so perfectly that it takes a while to get them in place. The backs are routed out so that there's no gap on the sides. There's no way I'd have been able to do this kind of woodwork myself.

The metal Sequential Circuits badge is from ebay, probably totally unlicensed. I chose its placement based on the Pro One, whose badge is aligned with the keyboard due to a screw on the far left. I think all Sequential instruments should have these front badges.

I went with mahogany on mine.  Used a clear lacquer and feed-n-wax (beeswax) to preserve the natural color.  As the wood has ambered, it matches my rev2 almost exactly.  I didn't bother trying to route a channel into it to cover the slots that the plastic fit into... Didn't want to waste the beautiful wood by making a rookie mistake :)  I also didn't bother trying to notch it out to align with the profile.  I rather like the uninterrupted angle from the back to the front.. this was also an attempt to replicate the look and feel of the panels on the rev2.

The panels you have look like walnut.  I took a stab at those as well and fell more in love with the mahogany.  I've thought about selling them but not really sure if there's a market for them.

chysn

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 03:16:51 AM »
Nice work!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 06:33:36 PM »

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 04:23:11 AM »

I went with mahogany on mine.

The panels you have look like walnut.  I took a stab at those as well and fell more in love with the mahogany.  I've thought about selling them but not really sure if there's a market for them.

Please let us know if you decide to sell these...