The Release / Hold pedal mystery

The Release / Hold pedal mystery
« on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
Hi all, just joined.

I have a lovely P10 rev4 here running the latest OS, with a Roland sustain pedal plugged in. And whatever I do in Globals, I cannot get the pedal to work as expected. The only thing that works is normal modern release mode, with the release/hold switch enabled, and the ADSR release knob does the job.

However, when I disable the release/hold switch, with pedal mode in REL, no release with pedal held down. Changing polarity has no effect.

With pedal mode in HLD, I get a constant holding note, whatever I do with the pedal, in whatever polarity.

Puzzled...

Re: The Release / Hold pedal mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Hi all, just joined.

I have a lovely P10 rev4 here running the latest OS, with a Roland sustain pedal plugged in. And whatever I do in Globals, I cannot get the pedal to work as expected. The only thing that works is normal modern release mode, with the release/hold switch enabled, and the ADSR release knob does the job.

However, when I disable the release/hold switch, with pedal mode in REL, no release with pedal held down. Changing polarity has no effect.

With pedal mode in HLD, I get a constant holding note, whatever I do with the pedal, in whatever polarity.

Puzzled...

What are you expecting to happen?

In (global) Hold mode, the pedal holds the note at the sustain stage level.

In (global) Release mode, then when the hold/release switch is disabled, the setting on the release stages of the two envelopes is set to zero. Pressing the sustain pedal engages the release stage as set by the release knobs.

Set global to RELEASE.

Disable the hold/release switch.

Use an init patch and set the amp release to a high value.

Set amp sustain to zero.

Play a note and release the key - the note cuts off immediately.

Now play a note, press the sustain pedal, then release the note - the note slowly decays to silence. (If you like the pedal, it will cut off immediately).

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 01:46:27 AM »
Thanks Quatschmacher, your description is exactly what I expected out of the pedal in global Release mode. I get zip though when I depress the pedal. I'll try again and report back.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 02:52:24 AM »
And reporting back now. I got it working. It was a problem with Local Ctrl set to SOM. The pedal midi events didn't make it through the setup back to the synth for some reason. With Local Ctrl set to ALL, all is fine.

Thanks again, Robert.