Prophet X Freezing

Re: Prophet X Freezing
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
I am not sure. It took a while, but the MIDI SYSEX issues I reported were resolved, but it did take a long time.

I would put that down to a small company with scarce development resources that need prioritising across a diverse product line.

I think the PX is an amazing device, which has probably not sold as well as expected, but I would also argue that is down to there being no killer demos obviously available. I took a real punt on mine, as I found little that made me go wow! But as it was at a price too good to miss, I went for it as the place I buy from has a good returns policy, and I am glad I did.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 05:07:27 PM »
I am not sure. It took a while, but the MIDI SYSEX issues I reported were resolved, but it did take a long time.

I would put that down to a small company with scarce development resources that need prioritising across a diverse product line.

I think the PX is an amazing device, which has probably not sold as well as expected, but I would also argue that is down to there being no killer demos obviously available. I took a real punt on mine, as I found little that made me go wow! But as it was at a price too good to miss, I went for it as the place I buy from has a good returns policy, and I am glad I did.

Actually this isn't true, Dave just didn't want to interview me or showcase my use of the PX. I literally have over 70 videos of the Prophet X in action on my channel including 3 videos of custom patches, 4 videos of sound design tutorials and 1 lengthy review. I've scored 3 films with the Prophet X and on my on screen credit I requested it read "Music by Everett Dudgeon, performed on the Sequential Prophet X Sample Synthesizer"

If the PX's promotion suffered from anything, it's Dave choosing Gerry Basserman over me to promote it.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:09 PM »
I know we've been here before :) , but I looked really hard for good demos and never came across yours. Wise after the event of course, and maybe I should have joined here first and asked......
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 01:20:10 AM »
Hi all! I want to inform you that my problem with freezing was successfully solved. The reason lay in the power supply, I replaced the power supply board and everything works fine!

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 12:51:05 PM »
Hi all! I want to inform you that my problem with freezing was successfully solved. The reason lay in the power supply, I replaced the power supply board and everything works fine!

Hello.

Did you replace it yourself? What board did you use and how easy was it to do (if you did it!)

After a few weeks of working fine, my X has started freezing again.

EDIT: OK, this is a weird one! The X was freezing on changing patches (with a 'click').

I tried removing the USB cable with no luck. However, the USB dongle I use to update samples and the OS was still in the X. I removed this and voila! The freezing seems to have stopped.

Stephen
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 01:52:04 PM by StephenJamesBennett »

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 04:16:02 PM »

Hello.

Did you replace it yourself? What board did you use and how easy was it to do (if you did it!)

After a few weeks of working fine, my X has started freezing again.

EDIT: OK, this is a weird one! The X was freezing on changing patches (with a 'click').

I tried removing the USB cable with no luck. However, the USB dongle I use to update samples and the OS was still in the X. I removed this and voila! The freezing seems to have stopped.

Stephen

I'd be very interested to know if everyone else who was experiencing freezing also had their USB stick still plugged into their PX. I always take it out after loading samples and I've never had a freeze myself....wondering if this might have something to do with it.

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »
Sequential tech support sent me a new power board - this really solved my freezing problems. They also sent step-by-step instructions on how to replace it (very easy). I've already played a few big сoncerts and a few small gigs. Every day I practice on it and create sounds for myself, which means that I change programs / presets very often. NOT A SINGLE CRASH!

Thanks to the guys from tech support!

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
Synth Developer here:
I had this problem with the X (not XL) once. The power supply is a good contender for the culprit here. I have sympathy for any tech trying to resolve this as it is one of those intermittent issues that is a tech's nightmare. Probably not a software problem. Maybe the XL's PS is different than the PX.

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2022, 06:42:53 AM »
Synth Developer here:
I had this problem with the X (not XL) once. The power supply is a good contender for the culprit here. I have sympathy for any tech trying to resolve this as it is one of those intermittent issues that is a tech's nightmare. Probably not a software problem. Maybe the XL's PS is different than the PX.

I installed the mainboard from X on my XL, of course, the cable from the keybed did not fit, but this did not solve the problem, the freezes were all exactly the same. Used additional midi keyboard for the test. The principle of operation and architecture are the same, the only difference is in the cable for the keyboard, for X, XL there are different connectors

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »
Synth Developer here:

I installed the mainboard from X on my XL, of course, the cable from the keybed did not fit, but this did not solve the problem, the freezes were all exactly the same. Used additional midi keyboard for the test. The principle of operation and architecture are the same, the only difference is in the cable for the keyboard, for X, XL there are different connectors

So now you can only play your PXL from an external controller?

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2022, 11:00:56 AM »
Synth Developer here:

So now you can only play your PXL from an external controller?
NO, Connectors for keybed not match I  already wrote above that I just tested the Mainboard from Prophet X on my XL, with additional midi keyboard because the cable (flex) from XL for 76 keys did not fit the 61 version - just Keybed, all rest are identical. I have my own Mainboard from XL. That was when I didn't know why the Prophet was crashing, I searched for the cause of this problem. After replacing the power board everything works fine.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »
Synth Developer here:

That probably eliminates the power supply, but there may be a regulator or other power conditioning circuitry on the  PX mainboard.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2022, 07:53:27 AM »
This is the second time I have the problem with PX that it freezes on startup. I swapped the CMOS battery the first time 6 months ago and it worked until last week. I contacted support and they gave me an address here in Germany that will only repair the PX for a fee as the warranty has expired. So no goodwill, although it is clearly a design error or a software error. Very disappointing.
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 07:17:50 AM »
After I complained to Sequential they made me a very good offer to swap out the motherboard and PSU... so I have to say the support is really top notch!
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2022, 11:52:34 PM »
I have had a similar issue, I have found that it only happens when i have the usb thumb drive plugged in (at least that has been solving it at the moment when i remove it... hopefully no bigger isssue for me :[ )

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2022, 08:00:32 AM »
I replaced my power supply and motherboard 5 months ago and had no problems at all after that. Yesterday, i imported a lot of samples and presets and found the PX was crashing, freezing up, making a low frequency noise, etc., whenever I tried to change banks.
I found this chain on the forums here, and tried taking out my thumb drive and rebooting. It seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks to all who participate here for the invaluable help and experience you share!

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2022, 05:08:40 AM »
Sequential tech support sent me a new power board - this really solved my freezing problems. They also sent step-by-step instructions on how to replace it (very easy). I've already played a few big сoncerts and a few small gigs. Every day I practice on it and create sounds for myself, which means that I change programs / presets very often. NOT A SINGLE CRASH!

Thanks to the guys from tech support!

I have a Prophet X and wrote about this on February 21, 2021 assuming it was a firmware issue! until now it still freezes on me occasionally while changing presets.
This is the reason I came back to check in the forum and see if there's any solution for this problem and I found this post.
so, should I contact Sequential tech support?

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 03:47:41 PM »
26/01/2023 - motherboard has been replaced, I have the latest firmware, but my XL is still freezing!!  Firmware M 2.2.2  DSP 2.2.2.0.0 FPGA 1.0   Annoying!  I kinda think over heat maybe a thing.. but its hard to say.. I might set up a fan right on it to see what's what.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:51:23 PM by RexL DeluxE »

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 03:50:42 PM »
I have had a similar issue, I have found that it only happens when i have the usb thumb drive plugged in (at least that has been solving it at the moment when I remove it... hopefully no bigger isssue for me :[ )
OOOOh I will do the same test.. as I have had my USB stick in all this time.. Fingers crossed.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2023, 02:16:58 AM »
Not sure if this might help, but I was running into issues with booting ( 'cannot reach audio processor'), and no audio output after 5 minutes of turning it on. I am on version v2.2.2.0 and tried replacing the CMOS battery - in fact, this was another symptom, that the battery was lasting only a few months.
Sequential support had me measure the PSU voltage, which was reading only 4.7v. They provided instructions to adjust this to 5.2v and also a new bios that 'essentially removes the need for battery backup on the mother board'.
After making these changes last November, I've had a rock solid PX since  :D.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular