Just received the P5 rev 4: Initial questionable/concerned comments.

Okay, just got received the P5, today.… two initial questionable/concerned comments.

#1. Stepping the through all the presets, many many of the presets are distorted.  We have never experienced this type of distorted-phenomenon out of a synth.  The input gain into the SSL console is set to about -12:  plenty of headroom so it’s not a signal-flow gain structure issue.   For the majority of all the presets, the P5’s master volume sits comfortably at “5”.  But, to eliminate the distorted presets, I have to turn the master volume down to about “2”.   As I recall, my rev 3.3 was very punchy and ‘hot’, but it never experienced any type of output distortion (or preset distortion):  no matter how cranked the oscillator’s mixer settings were set.   So, I’m concerned about this.

#2.  Turning on the UNISON doesn’t seem to stack all the 5 voices to create that ‘thick’ phat sound.  Even though the patch becomes mono, it sounds like only 1 of the 5 voices are sounding.  Actually, there is really no difference in tone or thickness when switching the UNISION button On/OFF. (Maybe the Rev 4 now allows the number of voices to be programmable per patch—and I am not aware of this?)  One of the patches I came across actually dropped a fraction in volume when switching to Unison.  Again, my rev 3.3 would always jump in volume a few dB’s and the sound would become thick-and-punchy when put into Unison.   So, I’m concerned about this. 

I did update the firmware to 2.0, but this didn’t resolve any issues.

On happy note  :)   I LOVE the feel of the keybed!!! Love the spring-loaded pitchbend! 
Huge improvement over the rev 3.3.
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

Re: Just received the P5 rev 4: Initial questionable/concerned comments.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
Yes, the output volume is "hot" ... I keep mine around "nine o´clock".
Some sounds is hotter than other, so go to "mixer section" to adjust and store the new settings.
( Try to match to the weakest sound )

Unison is set per sound. Press and hold Unison button, number in display shows how many voices is active,
press Group select -  or Bank select +  to detract or add more voices.
Press Program select 1 - 8 for detuning amount.

There´s more features with te Unison button  .....   Read the Manual and the addendum for OS 2.0.0

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

Re: Just received the P5 rev 4: Initial questionable/concerned comments.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 08:11:21 AM »
Okay, Excellent!  Thank you for the reply and the tips!!
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.