Prophet X / XL owners: anyone have a Komplete Kontrol S61 for comparison?

Hi all,

Forum newbie here.  I was hoping someone out there has a Komplete Kontrol S61 and a Prophet X or XL and could comment on how the keyboards compare - in both feel and size/shape?

On my Komplete Kontrol S61, I see a 16.5 cm octave width between C (the left edge) to the next C (the left edge). 

As far as feel, I can easily do single-note synthy arp-style runs with my fingers (and not a built-in arpeggiators).  I'm hoping that either or both of the X and XL match those specs - and are fast enough (ie. spring back fast) to do those type of things. 

I've been burnt in the past with some manufacturers making thinner keyboards with octave lengths much less than what I'm used to, which messes with my muscle memory (Roland and Yamaha specifically).  I really hope that since the S61 is a Fatar keyboard that the X and XL both feel the same as that. 

I'm particularly interested in the XL for the extended range.

Thanks in advance...

pebre

Prophet XL is 16,5 cm from left C to left C

I actually made a pilgrimage to Mecca (the Sweetwater store in Fort Wayne, IN) to check out the Prophet XL and others.

For anyone who needs it:

All these keyboards have the same octave length (16.5 cm C to C):
Prophet X
Prophet XL
OB-6
Prophet 5

The Prophet X keyboard seems to me to be exactly the same as the Komplete Kontrol S61.  The nice Fatar synth feel is there in full force.

The Prophet XL keyboard is different though.  Not only are its keys differently shaped (see pictures), but the pressure required to press a key is much greater.  Due to this, it can't really be described as "synth action", but its upward snap-back is such so that you can do fast synth-style runs or "manual arps" much easier than on a hammer-action piano keybed.  And since it requires more force, it doesn't feel weird playing piano parts on it.  It's effectively a hybrid keyboard feel - which totally suits the hybrid nature of this instrument.  I really like it actually...  I'm more used to piano action anyway and the extra snap back is much appreciated when playing fast parts.  I played it a long time at the showroom before I decided to take it home with me. 

One thing about the XL too - the aftertouch is tricky to work with. Since you have to press harder to press the key, it's really easy to accidentally trigger the aftertouch.  So you have to hit the key with just the right force, or you may get an unintentional vibrato with patches that have that.  I'm still getting used to that.

Now if I could just get this thing to record MIDI over USB, I'll be set; but that's another thread...

LPF83

Re: Prophet X / XL owners: anyone have a Komplete Kontrol S61 for comparison?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 07:43:25 AM »

The Prophet X keyboard seems to me to be exactly the same as the Komplete Kontrol S61.  The nice Fatar synth feel is there in full force.

I haven't played a Prophet X keyboard so I don't have a basis for comparison, but does your comment above indicate that NI has fixed the noisey keys issue of the KK S61?  All of the videos I've seen on it, there's an annoying noise with keys hitting the bed that plagues a lot of low quality keybeds (compared to my Sequential keyboards which are quiet).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Prophet X / XL owners: anyone have a Komplete Kontrol S61 for comparison?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:45:39 PM »
I couldn't say that for sure.  I've only experience with my S61 and it doesn't seem too noisy to me.