Velocity curves

Velocity curves
« on: October 08, 2021, 05:03:18 AM »
Hello everyone,

As I like to control the amount of expression through velocity when I'm playing, I'd like to know if anyone has any info about the shape of the velocity curves in the P6 and if there is any option to change them?

I'm far more likely to use my full-weighted, hammer piano keybed for playing the P6 for expression than the P6's own keybed, as the velocity curves don't agree with my style of playing (or the other way around).

Thanks in advace,

Marcus

LPF83

Re: Velocity curves
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 05:16:10 AM »
Hello everyone,

As I like to control the amount of expression through velocity when I'm playing, I'd like to know if anyone has any info about the shape of the velocity curves in the P6 and if there is any option to change them?

I'm far more likely to use my full-weighted, hammer piano keybed for playing the P6 for expression than the P6's own keybed, as the velocity curves don't agree with my style of playing (or the other way around).

Thanks in advace,

Marcus

There are 8 total curve presets, though the individual shape of the curve is not editable (which I think is what you're asking?).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 05:55:36 AM »
There are 8 total curve presets, though the individual shape of the curve is not editable (which I think is what you're asking?).

Hi, that's correct. Thank you for the info.

Any idea on the shape of the curves?

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »

Hi, that's correct. Thank you for the info.

Any idea on the shape of the curves?

I guess I'm a simple man that operates best with very specific questions :)...  I'm not sure what you're asking exactly with regards to ideas about shapes of curves.  The manual doesn't provide a visual on the curve range for each setting -- I assume a bit of ambiguity might be "be design", in order to decrease the maintenance burden of re-reviewing and updating the manual every time there is a slight change from one OS release to another.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
I guess I'm a simple man that operates best with very specific questions :)...  I'm not sure what you're asking exactly with regards to ideas about shapes of curves.

No need to apologize! I just need to explain myself better.

A velocity curve is a remapping of incoming velocity to an outgoing velocity and to know how that specific curve responds, it's helpful to have a visual graphic to support it.

Example a velocity curves:

In these examples, the incoming velocity (Y/vertical axis) from the keyboard is remapped to the outgoing velocity (X/horizontal axis). This allows for customization of the velocity response to the keyboard or play style of the player. The images of the curves offer a visual of these curves with which you can quickly assess how the curve will respond.

As you mention, the manual doesn't offer this information, merely stating there are 8 velocity curves. I was just wondering if anyone knows if more data about the curves, for example with images of these curves, were available. Your answer suggests they're not or no one previously asked.

Thank you for you time and answers!

Marcus
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:34:26 AM by Marcus Millfield »

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 03:41:58 PM »

As you mention, the manual doesn't offer this information, merely stating there are 8 velocity curves. I was just wondering if anyone knows if more data about the curves, for example with images of these curves, were available. Your answer suggests they're not or no one previously asked.

I'd be interested in the specifics too, if anyone knows... maybe Pym will chime in.  Subjectively it sounds to me like they are not necessarily in sequence of sensitivity/slope, for example setting 2 sounds more exponential (or a steeper linear slope at least) than 0 and 1, as well as 3.