Missing notes; distortion and compression issues

Missing notes; distortion and compression issues
« on: October 03, 2021, 12:53:15 AM »
Just bought a Tempest in good shape, or so I thought.

Noticed that every sixth note goes missing, indicating a glitch in the voice chip. I've had this problem with other DSI products that were easily fixable. Any clues if it's fixable?

The distortion and compression knobs seem to work as intended but add so much background noise (when no notes are played) that they are effectively unusable. Background noise starts when the distortion dial is even touched, and compression dial when it reaches 10 o clock. The noise is both phone / main jacks.

Re: Missing notes; distortion and compression issues
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 01:32:45 AM »
First thing i’d try is doing a complete system calibration with all cables unplugged and check each voice individually for any malfunctions.Have you read the FAQ thread?This is the most important reading before using Tempest: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
Check how T’s voices work..
Are you having any cables plugged in?
As for the onboard compressor/distortion you must design your sounds at maximum levels in order to reduce the noise floor as much as possible.Just check the FAQ thread everything’s in there..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:36:12 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 02:45:52 AM »
Missing voice: Yes, of course, all other cables out (just headphone plug + power). A complete system calibration has been conducted with no error reported. Since it rotates on every sixth note, it's pretty damn obvious that it is the oscillator.

I have experienced this on another DSI product years ago, which was easily fixed by cleaning and fitting that particular oscillator card properly. Is the internal architecture of Tempest similar?

First thing i’d try is doing a complete system calibration with all cables unplugged and check each voice individually for any malfunctions.Have you read the FAQ thread?This is the most important reading before using Tempest: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
Check how T’s voices work..
Are you having any cables plugged in?

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 03:10:36 AM »
In that case you should contact support guys there are very helpful..