Prophet X not loading

Prophet X not loading
« on: October 02, 2021, 04:57:35 AM »
After a few weeks away, decided to switch on my synth rack and Prophet X attempts to boot but ends up on a screen stating 'Cannot reach audio processor'. Known issue or anyone experienced this also?

Re: Prophet X not loading
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 07:30:22 AM »
After a few weeks away, decided to switch on my synth rack and Prophet X attempts to boot but ends up on a screen stating 'Cannot reach audio processor'. Known issue or anyone experienced this also?

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5207.0.html
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 09:41:20 AM »

This is what happened to my Prophet this morning. I filed a support ticket, but they are on holiday now so it will be first of the year I suppose before they get to it.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 05:12:50 PM »
Sorry for delay in reply on what the fix was.

Context:
My PX is on f/w 2.2.2 and I had some strange USB related issues (showing up as 'red' in Ableton live - I'll try to post a picture of this). But the main problem was the PX would stop playing audio after a random period of time (more than 1 hour of power on).

I had got some support from Sequential who told me how to:

This is an issue we have been tracking, and we have determined a couple of solutions that should get your Prophet X back into good shape. The first and most important is to adjust the internal PSU for slightly higher voltage. If you're handy with a digital multimeter and have access to one, it's actually a relatively simple procedure. You need to take some care in the presence of high voltage, but the adjustment only requires the DMM and a small insulated screwdriver. I attached the instructions to this email so you can have a look.

The other solution involves updating the BIOS on the mother board. You need to make a bootable thumb drive to insert directly into the mother board, a USB keyboard, and an HDMI monitor. The process is pretty simple and essentially removes the need for battery backup on the mother board (this has less of an effect on booting, but still helps.)

I had done these actions, which seemed to help for a few months, but then the problem came back.
I solved the USB issue with a new hub and cables (yes, one of the USB portsin my computer was dodgy as was one cable!)

So, then after discussing my journey with ART, their approach was to repeat the steps I had done to ensure they were done correctly. They reported that the voltage was again low (not at the 5.2v I'd set). Since I've got it back, it has been solid.

Conclusion:
Main cause seems to be power supply voltage drifting and getting too low.
Aux causes are poor USB connections which the PX is sensitive to and
CMOS battery can drain fast so the BIOS update should resolve that.

Several things to try here. First (and likely easiest) is change out the cmos battery. As I recall it's a readily available 2032. Next check the 5v output on the computer power supply (only if you're comfortable with doing that sort of thing). I don't know which lead is the 5v one but with the power on you can go through them one by one and find the 5v output. Not sure how to set the voltage level but Sequential will know and will help you for sure. Be aware that there may be high voltages present. You could also try booting with a usb keyboard plugged in. This is how to do this from Sequential support:

If the unit is not booting:

A. Resetting the Motherboard

Plug a wired computer keyboard into the rear USB sample loading port.
    Power on the instrument. When the loading bar gets close to full, press F1 on the computer keyboard. If nothing happens, wait a few minutes and press F1 again.
    After a few minutes, power the unit off and on, and see if there is any change in boot progress.

Note: some keyboards require holding a function key (Fn) to enable F1-F12.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:20:36 PM by thirteen_engines »
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 12:16:03 PM »

This is what happened to my Prophet this morning. I filed a support ticket, but they are on holiday now so it will be first of the year I suppose before they get to it.

After talking with support, I opted to put a new battery in my PXL. It worked so far! no more error messages on bootup. The process is a little involved but is not hard to do.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 01:33:38 PM »
Just happened to me after all these years I've had it. It's just stuck on the loading screen. It doesn't say "Can't reach audio processor" it's just stuck. I've tried the F1 keyboard trick and nothing is working.

The very same weekend I sell my Prophet 6 my Prophet X breaks.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 02:48:57 PM »
Just happened to me after all these years I've had it. It's just stuck on the loading screen. It doesn't say "Can't reach audio processor" it's just stuck. I've tried the F1 keyboard trick and nothing is working.

The very same weekend I sell my Prophet 6 my Prophet X breaks.

Ah no that’s awful.. could it be the same battery issue like above?

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 03:04:29 PM »
Please open a support ticket and we'll get your PX sorted out. Leaving it off for an extensive time period has likely drained the mother board battery.
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 03:53:38 PM »
Please open a support ticket and we'll get your PX sorted out. Leaving it off for an extensive time period has likely drained the mother board battery.

I play it every other weekend. I've literally released videos on the Prophet X continuously since it was released. I've been a vocal champion of it. I've opened a support ticket.

First trouble shooting step I did though was decorate the studio door. lol

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 11:42:19 AM »
Am I supposed to receive an email confirmation that my ticket was received? Ive sent it twice now and have nothing in my email.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 12:41:06 PM »
Are you using this form?: https://sequential.com/support/contact-support/

Tickets opened here go directly to support. Any other email addresses you find might not get through to support.
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 12:46:16 PM »
Are you using this form?: https://sequential.com/support/contact-support/

Tickets opened here go directly to support. Any other email addresses you find might not get through to support.

Yes. Am I supposed to get an email confirmation?

chysn

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »

I always have gotten a confirmation, an automated confirmation immediately, then whenever they send a human response later.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 01:19:30 PM »

I always have gotten a confirmation, an automated confirmation immediately, then whenever they send a human response later.
I’ve received nothing so far from two attempts. Just a pop up saying “Thank you for submitting the ticket. We will respond...etc etc”

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 06:01:42 PM »
Not sure this will be helpful but ...
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 07:24:44 PM »
Not sure this will be helpful but ...

Thanks! Curious though, when replacing the power supply does the SSD get wiped of all patches/user samples?

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 05:53:47 AM »

Thanks! Curious though, when replacing the power supply does the SSD get wiped of all patches/user samples?

I wouldn’t think so, based on my experience with building and upgrading computers. Nonetheless, a backup if at all possible would be a good move.

If you do end up going this route take precautions for static electricity discharges. They can really ruin your day. I didn’t see the fellow in the video doing this or mention it. When I was working (about 1000 years ago) I used to wear special discharge cuffs that were grounded when working on delicate equipment. Next best thing is to simply touch something that is grounded like a water tap or pipe before starting to work on any electronics.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 12:21:01 PM »
+1 on grounding. Some people are more prone to static than others and of course environment, clothing etc. all influence it.

I usually do not bother with ESD straps, but always touch a radiator before metal starting any diving into synth innards.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 10:25:52 PM »
Submitted a third ticket now. Finally got an automated response.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 10:29:44 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 11:50:03 AM »
nothing helped my PROPHET XL, neither replacing the power supply, nor replacing other boards, nor the latest update. I've TRIED EVERYTHING since 2018. It still freezes!