Prophet 5 - Connecting to Multiple Monitors

Prophet 5 - Connecting to Multiple Monitors
« on: September 30, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »
Hello - I have been the proud owner of a P12 for a number of years and recently dipped my toes into the world of retro analog (w/ modern improvements) with the P5 Rev 4.

I've tried to utilize a TRS to dual TS cable to take the mono signal and deliver it to both of my monitors but have only been able to get audio out of a single monitor.

I was well aware that the output signal would be mono when I purchased the P5 but I assumed that I would be able to output the same signal to both monitors. Is this fixable with a different cable perhaps?

Any thoughts or help? Thanks,

Re: Prophet 5 - Connecting to Multiple Monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 10:49:27 AM »
the solution with the least faffing that I can think of is to get a mixer.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »
And / or get a stereo chorus   :)

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 12:10:19 PM »
the solution with the least faffing that I can think of is to get a mixer.

So my primary input is actually to mixer - Yamaha MG10XU - and I have the TRS to dual TS connected from P5 to both of the L and R inputs on the mixer - no direct way there I guess to do a mono signal to more than one monitor.

Still only outputs to a single monitor.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 12:12:57 PM »

Cheers !

That's admittedly an alternative but hoping I can just get the same mono signal out of both monitors. Surprised I'm the first one as far as I can tell asking this. Does everyone else just plug into guitar/keyboard amp?

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »

Cheers !

That's admittedly an alternative but hoping I can just get the same mono signal out of both monitors. Surprised I'm the first one as far as I can tell asking this. Does everyone else just plug into guitar/keyboard amp?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question or your intention, but rather than using TRS cables, wouldn't it make sense to run a standard cable from the P5 into a mono channel of your mixer, panned center? You'd have the synth coming through both speakers that way.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »

Cheers !

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question or your intention, but rather than using TRS cables, wouldn't it make sense to run a standard cable from the P5 into a mono channel of your mixer, panned center? You'd have the synth coming through both speakers that way.

You're understanding it exactly.

I've always taken those inputs to be mic exclusive - didn't realize they doubled as mono inputs for guitar, etc.

Was able to hook it up and it's playing properly through both speakers. Thank you!

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »

Cheers !

You're understanding it exactly.

I've always taken those inputs to be mic exclusive - didn't realize they doubled as mono inputs for guitar, etc.

Was able to hook it up and it's playing properly through both speakers. Thank you!

Glad that worked!