How to standardize the patches in concert? it's either too soft or too strong !!

Hello,

How to standardize the patches in concert? it's either too soft or too strong !!!!
A recurring concern in concert, some patches sound too soft compared to others!
Any ideas ?
when the patch is in Program Volume at 127, so to the maximum, it is impossible to increase its volume without altering the sound!
Thank you in advance for your answers !!!

maxter

Hi stefmazurier,

I generally find many programs are programmed too "hot", ie Program Volume at 127 like you say. This may even cause distortion when playing polyphonically, especially on a 16-voice Rev2.

I don't use presets much, but like to program from scratch, and when I do I rarely set the Program Volume higher than 100, and usually lower to leave some room. I could always raise it at a later point. As to leave some headroom and avoid distortion. Stacked "rich" patches (using many osc's and the sub), played polyphonically, I generally lower the volume to about 80 or so, depending on how much the sound is intended to "stand out" or fall behind, of course...

This means that if I would later want a monophonic lead sound using just ONE osc, I can push the volume to 127.

So you need to adjust the volume of your patches to suit your purposes, because it not only depends on how many osc's are used, but also how you play the keys. It would be impossible to have the volume of all patches suit all different players and purposes.

If you match the "richest" patch you play, with the "poorest", or hardest/softest or whatever, volumewise, you'll have a low- and a highpoint, you can then adjust the other respective patches accordingly. And make sure you leave some headroom, as to not clip/distort the audio.
The Way the Truth and the Life

hello,
Thank you for your answer, I will try to lower all the volumes of my patches in order to normalize them, but it is not easy to lower the volume of a patch at home because it is really different in concert, I don't do not have the same volume at all!
There is so much difference between 1 and 127, I do not know if I put 60, 90 or 110, how to know exactly the volume which it is necessary to put so that all my sounds are balanced, harmonious, homogeneous.
Do you know how to have all the sounds balanced?
Is there any software?
Thank you so much.
Greetings

maxter

OK, I see...

Well, there's no shortcut unfortunately. I think most live-players recognize your problem, at least I certainly do. The difference between playing at home or in a small rehearsal room, differs greatly from playing a larger live venue. What frequencies will be louder or quieter depends on the acoustics of any room... size, wall-material and inventories for example, all affect the sound. That's one major reason for having sound-checks.

I'd say, set the volumes so that they work well where you are rehearsing. Having done so, it will be much easier for the mixer guy to attenuate or boost any frequencies that he notices are feeding back (feedback) or are muffled (or disappear). There are special EQ's with feedback detection that can do this too, they detect what frequencies are feeding back and automatically adjust the EQ bands to sound as it should. But this will have to be done before a gig, at soundcheck, as you have to use a mic in the room, for the EQ to measure the frequencies and adjust the levels accordingly.

The most important part is to focus on getting it to sound as good as possible where you rehearse, firstly. Then, secondly, if there are some patches that STILL get too loud sometimes when you play live, you could use a compressor/limiter, to limit the maximum volume that the Rev2 can reach. If the Rev2 should "try" to go beyond that level, it will be compressed as to not exceed that level. But I advice against STARTING with a compressor to solve the problem, instead rather use it as a last possible solution, or to iron out the last bits. Or else it could affect your sound in negative ways.

Chances are the mixer-guy will have a compressor to spare for this job.

Oh! But if you use a computer and software live, you could use software EQ's and compressors on the PC. There must be feedback detection as well, but it would still involve you having to "measure" the room levels with a mic.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:42:46 PM by maxter »

Short answer: compressor. Loudness normalization is exactly their purpose.

maxter

Even so, if you go with a compressor, you still have to watch out so you don't clip the audio pre-compressor. So you need to balance the patches volume levels first, and make sure they don't distort.

thank you guys for your answers, it's cool to take the time to answer me and look for a solution, i lowered all the volumes of my patches, i will see on my next gig, if it doesn't work i will use a compressor!
thank you again, see you soon  !!