Studiologic Sledge

Re: Studiologic Sledge
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
I always thought the Sledge was just a Blofeld in another box, or have I got it wrong?

Although the engine is by Waldorf, it's not precisely a Blofeld, no. No multitimbrality, less effects, less modulation options, less filter options, etc.

... that's a lot less... what's better?

Less is more.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
I always thought the Sledge was just a Blofeld in another box, or have I got it wrong?

Although the engine is by Waldorf, it's not precisely a Blofeld, no. No multitimbrality, less effects, less modulation options, less filter options, etc.

Only the knobs.  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »

Less is more.  ;D

:/
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53:53 AM »

Less is more.  ;D

:/

Unless you're Yngwie Malmsteen:

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
Maybe it doesn't crash.

Maybe the UI works even when you are sending it midi.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
I had a Sledge for 2 years.  Sold it recently.   Fun/easy to program.  The front panel is what I liked the most- very intuitive.    I'll attempt to explain why I sold it:     I found that I had grown tired of the "odd" audio.  It was almost like a reverb effect was always on, even though there wasn't.    Specifically what I'm referring to is that there was this odd "hollow sound" that began to bug me.   I hadn't noticed this problem at first, and I suspect that most folks may not  notice the subtlety right away either.  In fact, when I first got it I had done some side by side comparisons with my other synths and had noticed nothing of the sort.    But over the long-haul,  I started noticing the  "problem" when I'd play it for like a half hour, then immediately switch over to another instrument, like the Nord Lead 4, or PEK.  At such point the jump to improved audio character with any other synth was striking.  I have plenty of VA's, so the issue I'm referring to is not a digital versus analog thing, or anything like that.  I also checked every cord and mixer input to make sure I was overlooking those factors.  But what I found (in my opinion) was that the issue was due to the audio amplifier.   Also, the output balance level between when you'd turn effects on or off was horrible.   If Sledge could fix that issue, I would be able to recommend it  for certain niches/interests.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:03:56 AM by Soundquest »
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
This instrument keeps getting better and better.  I do like the polyphonic glide.

Shaw

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
This instrument keeps getting better and better.  I do like the polyphonic glide.

Is this the best sounding VA to your ears?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
I don't have much of an opinion on VA instruments because I never research them.  In general, I have no interest in them.  But for some reason - probably because I've always liked the interface - the Sledge has somewhat interested me. 

Shaw

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
I don't have much of an opinion on VA instruments because I never research them.  In general, I have no interest in them.  But for some reason - probably because I've always liked the interface - the Sledge has somewhat interested me.
Go play one.  I had the same interest in Nord, but the build quality didn't feel like a serious instrument.  I think many VAs come across this way because they can be so much lighter...

Shaw

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:30 AM »
Are you trying to tempt me, Shaw?   :o

Shaw

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Are you trying to tempt me, Shaw?   :o
Just letting you know what is out there.... and he'd probably accept an offer of $650.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »
Okay, now that's temptation and advice.  The only thing I'm missing is your money.  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
Okay, now that's temptation and advice.  The only thing I'm missing is your money.  ;D
You and me both!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
The ultimate YouTube channel for anyone interested in the Sledge:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvNM5I4gpa4MfzRiP3s2s5Q/videos

I love the roomy control panel on this instrument.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:05:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »
On the Waldorf Q kbd, for example, waveshapes are selected by rotary encoder, rather than radio button, so there is an illusion of a large number of knobs (the "knob-farm")–where in all fairness, many of the Q's knob assignments are Page-2/alt-style (and only consume two 25% sections of the entire panel). There are other parameters which could more generally be assigned as radio buttons (with the risk, however, of boxing out future soft feature add-ons, such as the comb filter, etc.).

The unreleased Waldorf Stromberg, by comparison, eliminated the knob-farm look of the Q in favor of a more sensible layout, though this was still not as simply laid out as the Sledge.

It will be interesting to see how the 20-Music version (http://www.20-music.de) sounds by comparison....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »
I guess they are not going to be cheap or easily obtainable!

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 05:14:50 AM »
I guess they are not going to be cheap or easily obtainable!
Make no mistake - I'm definitely not well-heeled enough to make that an impulse purchase, by some margin, though there is some interesting up-engineering going on there....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 06:25:01 AM »
20,000 euros seems to be the rumour.