Studiologic Sledge

Sacred Synthesis

Studiologic Sledge
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »
I've always had a fascination with this instrument.  First, it's a nice full-sized synthesizer, second, it's a hybrid, and third, it has a fabulous knobby panel lay out.  However, the yellow color has always deterred me from looking any further.  But is this new color any better?  Egads!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sledge2BLK

Re: Studiologic Sledge
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
Why not getting one of those?  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »
First, it's a nice full-sized synthesizer, second, it's a hybrid, and third, it has a fabulous knobby panel lay out.

While 1 and 3 are true, the Sledge is not a hybrid. Its sound generation is fully based on DSPs, there's nothing analog in there. So in that sense, it falls into the VA category, with the exception of the wavetables and sampling capabilities I guess. It's as fully digital as a Nord Lead or a Blofeld.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:48:22 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »
Why not getting one of those?  ;D

I've seen those, but what are they?  Can't remember....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »
First, it's a nice full-sized synthesizer, second, it's a hybrid, and third, it has a fabulous knobby panel lay out.

While 1 and 3 are true, the Sledge is not a hybrid. Its sound generation is fully based on DSPs, there's nothing analog in there. So in that sense, it falls into the VA category, with the exception of the wavetables and sampling capabilities I guess. It's as fully digital as a Nord Lead or a Blofeld.

You got me there.  It's been so long since I've looked at it, I forgot it's a VA.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
I've seen those, but what are they?  Can't remember....

That's the limited edition of essentially a Sledge. Design by Axel Hartmann. Only 20 of each will be made. Each one made of 100% brushed aluminium. The price is going to be 20k each.

https://www.facebook.com/20-166866990324268/

Specs for now:
Only 20 black and 20 silver will be made
Waldorf / Sledge Synthesizer Engine
SPL Supra Op-Amp audio technology
Wavetables
Hartmann Neuron Synthesizer Sampleset
Pure aluminium shell, milled from a massive block
Collapsable, milled ultra thin aluminium panel
Custom-built pure aluminium knobs and wheels
Custom-built acrylic-glass switches
Highest quality, custom-built, all black Fatar TP 8 Keybed

It's mainly an anniversary project for the company Design Box: http://www.design-box.de/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:24:55 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 06:24:56 PM »
Yep - basically, a Blofeld / Nave engine in fancy metalwork (and a yet-to-be-determined Fatar keybed, likely a TP/8). If it had the Q+ analog filters, it might be worth it, but even in this incarnation, they'd have to polish the proverbial turd pretty highly to make it worthwhile.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
Yep - basically, a Blofeld / Nave engine in fancy metalwork (and a yet-to-be-determined Fatar keybed, likely a TP/8). If it had the Q+ analog filters, it might be worth it, but even in this incarnation, they'd have to polish the proverbial turd pretty highly to make it worthwhile.

With a price tag of 20k ($ or €, I don't know), this is supposed to be a collector's item for 40 lucky buyers anyway. No one will buy this for its synth engine, but mainly for its design without compromise. The slightly refined synth engine will be a bonus. It's Axel Hartmann's way to celebrate his company's 20th anniversary with a beautiful industry design, that's all. The production of the solid aluminium chassis alone costs thousands, so imagine the buyers be the likes of Hans Zimmer, who'd like to put something nice looking into their living rooms.

And although I would never be able to afford one, I think it's a stunning design. So I ask: why not?

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
With a price tag of 20k ($ or €, I don't know), this is supposed to be a collector's item for 40 lucky buyers anyway. No one will buy this for its synth engine, but mainly for its design without compromise. The slightly refined synth engine will be a bonus. It's Axel Hartmann's way to celebrate his company's 20th anniversary with a beautiful industry design, that's all. The production of the solid aluminium chassis alone costs thousands, so imagine the buyers be the likes of Hans Zimmer, who'd like to put something nice looking into their living rooms.

And although I would never be able to afford one, I think it's a stunning design. So I ask: why not?

Why not indeed... OK, then, let's get serious here...

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »

Same designer.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »

Same designer.

Yes, but very different creature from the Sledge.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »

Same designer.

Yes, but very different creature from the Sledge.

Yeah, much cheaper design.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »

The drawing above leads me to believe that the main PCB (which matches neither the Sledge nor the Blofeld layouts) will be re-designed to accommodate a better output stage (one of the weaknesses of the Blofeld IMHO) - with due care, that could be a massive improvement.

That said - it's still a virtual-analogue device, and with the development issues experienced by Waldorf (and Hartmann) over the last two decades, that's still going to be a tough sell when compared to a vintage Waldorf Wave....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:53:33 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
The Sledge has always appealed to me for its exceptionally clean and roomy control panel.  I would love to program an instrument like that.  But the sound doesn't appeal to the same degree.  I think the Blofeld sounds a bit better - beefier, even though still on the thin side.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
The Sledge has always appealed to me for its exceptionally clean and roomy control panel.  I would love to program an instrument like that.  But the sound doesn't appeal to the same degree.  I think the Blofeld sounds a bit better - beefier, even though still on the thin side.

It's quite okay if you're on a budget. I don't think it would add anythink substantially new to your setup, especially since you seem to utilize mostly the analog or analog sounding side of your instruments. And even if you discover a burgeoning penchant for wavetables, something like a Blofeld would make more sense as a kind of add-on I think.

However, the Sledge is fun to use and that's I guess its strongest point: offering an interface that people enjoy. But then again: You don't really lack interfaces like that.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
I have no interest in the Sledge, although I once did.  My meager digital needs are easily met by the Evolver's wave shapes.  The Blofeld was once of much greater interest to me, but I decided to be content with what I already have.  Besides, I don't think a Blofeld has much to offer me over my big glorious PEK and PER pair.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
I always thought the Sledge was just a Blofeld in another box, or have I got it wrong?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
I believe it has a similar engine, but not identical.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »
I always thought the Sledge was just a Blofeld in another box, or have I got it wrong?

Although the engine is by Waldorf, it's not precisely a Blofeld, no. No multitimbrality, less effects, less modulation options, less filter options, etc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:25:23 AM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »

Although the engine is by Waldorf, it's not precisely a Blofeld, no. No multitimbrality, less effects, less modulation options, less filter options, etc.

... that's a lot less... what's better?