Multiple filters

jmg8

Multiple filters
« on: September 20, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but...
Are the 3 filters, 3 separate filter chips, or are they contained within the same chip somehow? If they are separate then is there a reason why more than one can not be active at one time? It would be great if we could select multiple filters at once so they could work in series (or parallel, depending on the internal structure). I figure it would not be possible as, surely it would have been done already.

Re: Multiple filters
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 11:53:02 PM »
This has probably been mentioned before, but...
Are the 3 filters, 3 separate filter chips, or are they contained within the same chip somehow? If they are separate then is there a reason why more than one can not be active at one time? It would be great if we could select multiple filters at once so they could work in series (or parallel, depending on the internal structure). I figure it would not be possible as, surely it would have been done already.

They are built from discrete parts and not chip based, such as CEM or SSI. I think the reason to limit the use to one at a time was just a decision they made due to the extra complexity it would mean, both in analogue circuitry and in user interface. Another thing is that Sequential tends to make each of their synths have its particular strengths and only partly overlap with some of their other synths. In this case I think they wanted the Pro-3 to differ in a few ways from the Pro-2 so that they would not completely overlap.

jmg8

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:16:19 AM »
Ah, interesting, they are built from discrete parts. Well, that is the answer right there. The three filters will share the same transistors etc, so it would be impossible to have more than one at a time. Thanks for your reply.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 06:26:13 AM »
Ah, interesting, they are built from discrete parts. Well, that is the answer right there. The three filters will share the same transistors etc, so it would be impossible to have more than one at a time. Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if they share parts but they are not based on readymade chips.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:44:46 AM »
I do think it would be nice as an option to be able to have each oscillator run through each filter. Especially in paraphonic sequencing mode