Prophet 10 bricked after update v2

Prophet 10 bricked after update v2
« on: September 17, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
I sold my Prophet 5 and rushed home with my new Prophet 10 turned it on, was on ver 1.50. Did the sysex up date v2 and watched the count up and count down then waited a short while turned on and now it boots - - on screen off and --  and goes to Release Hold red light. Prophet 5 OS 2.0 is the name of the down load ( but I now have a Prophet 10)

Any help would be greatly appreciated Ive had the  new Pro 10 maximum 15 minutes and cant use it

LPF83

Re: Prophet 10 bricked after update v2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 03:36:41 AM »
I sold my Prophet 5 and rushed home with my new Prophet 10 turned it on, was on ver 1.50. Did the sysex up date v2 and watched the count up and count down then waited a short while turned on and now it boots - - on screen off and --  and goes to Release Hold red light. Prophet 5 OS 2.0 is the name of the down load ( but I now have a Prophet 10)

Any help would be greatly appreciated Ive had the  new Pro 10 maximum 15 minutes and cant use it

I would send Sequential support an e-mail.  They are great (but do not monitor this forum for support issues so getting the dialog going is the best way to get you up and running).

If you want to try something in the meantime, try bootloader mode.  The one time I had the symptom you described, this was what I needed to do.  Basically send the OS sysex over MIDI DIN instead of USB.  Procedure described here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4873.0.html

In all likelihood there's nothing wrong with your synth.  With all of my Sequential gear, every serious issue I've had has turned out to be some other aspect of my setup or my own fault.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:08:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I tried BTL on my 2019 MacBook pro using USB A dongle and it wouldnt do anything. Luckily I have an older Mac with USB A and ran BTL it counted to 100 and now says rSt - I assume it wants me to restart? Im scared to fuq this up and brick it...what should I do next?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:11:00 AM by cray5656 »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 04:25:31 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I tried BTL on my 2019 MacBook pro using USB A dongle and it wouldnt do anything. Luckily I have an older Mac with USB A and ran BTL it counted to 100 and now says rSt - I assume it wants me to restart? Im scared to fuq this up and brick it...what should I do next?

I don't recall seeing rSt but its been a while.  If it were me I would power cycle it and see how it goes.  If that failed I'd try loading the 1.5.2 beta (there are some issues with 2.0 anyway).  If that failed I'd put it down until I heard back from support.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »

Hi,
Not sure if you read the very end of the OS update notes, but I'll post them here in case.

*********************************** IMPORTANT NOTE ***********************************

When the OS update is being sent to the Prophet-5/10, two numeric sequences occur on
    the main Prophet-5/10 display. The first begins at 000 and counts up to 100. This is
    the "loading phase." After that, a second, shorter sequence occurs which begins at 10
    and counts down to 0. This is the "writing" phase of the update. DO NOT power down
    during this phase. Once the second countdown has completed, restart your Prophet by
    turning the power off and on again.

5. After you have restarted your Prophet, check the new OS version by holding down the
Globals button and pressing Program Selector button 1. The OS version appears in the
display.

Troubleshooting

If the numeric sequence stops before the file transfer is complete, turn the Prophet-5/10
off, then on, and try again. If this continues to happen, double the Low Level Output
Buffers "Num" and "Size" values and re-send the SysEx file. If the countdown gets closer
to zero, then you know your settings are moving in the right direction. If the numeric
sequence goes further than before, try reducing the "Num" and "Size" settings. You can
also try doubling or quadrupling the "Size" setting. You may have to adjust the Low Level
Output Buffers settings several times before finding the right combination.
.->-.
`-<-' Transmitted on 100% recycled electrons

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »

The "rst" you see on the display means "restart". After power cycling, is your unit is again fully functional?
SEQUENTIAL