Yamaha DX7

Yamaha DX7
« on: March 12, 2023, 06:05:34 AM »
The other synth I got to borrow is a DX7. Quite a different prospect as I’ve never really done much FM synthesis (beyond the limited stuff in the Summit and Source Audio C4 Synth). Bit of a learning curve to say the least but I’ve managed a few decent sounds from scratch now.

chysn

Re: Yamaha DX7
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »
It's definitely a learning curve. I've had two DX-7s in my life, a DX-100, a TX-7, and multiple TX-81Zs.

If I were going to be in a rock band again, I'd want a DX-7. It's the ultimate rock band instrument. It's built like a tank, it does great crunchy organs, confident electric pianos. We were a four-piece band, with lead guitar, drums, and bass, so I didn't need the DX-7 for anything but keys. And I loved playing it, it was so fun.

About 20 years ago, I spent a long time perfecting a convincing acoustic piano sound that really sounded like a sampled acoustic piano in a rock-and-roll context, through the band's PA system. It involved a lot of velocity and envelope tricks, and I was really proud of it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 12:52:20 PM »
It's definitely a learning curve. I've had two DX-7s in my life, a DX-100, a TX-7, and multiple TX-81Zs.

If I were going to be in a rock band again, I'd want a DX-7. It's the ultimate rock band instrument. It's built like a tank, it does great crunchy organs, confident electric pianos. We were a four-piece band, with lead guitar, drums, and bass, so I didn't need the DX-7 for anything but keys. And I loved playing it, it was so fun.

About 20 years ago, I spent a long time perfecting a convincing acoustic piano sound that really sounded like a sampled acoustic piano in a rock-and-roll context, through the band's PA system. It involved a lot of velocity and envelope tricks, and I was really proud of it.

I bet if you were in a rock band now, your back would veto the DX7! I landed a second one a couple years ago (for $80!) and very quickly remembered how incredibly heavy that thing is.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 06:13:24 PM »
Had a good long session on it today and have managed to create some pretty nice patches. Acoustic guitars, clavinet (with key-off noises) and some reasonably analogue-sounding basses. Still got a lot to learn on this but it’s not quite as difficult as I first thought. I’m going it’ll probe me for when I tackle the EaganMatrix.

It has one of the nicest keybeds I’ve played on a synth in terms of control. Being able to play synth keys right up towards the tops with almost the same force required as at the bottoms is great. And they return really quickly.

The aftertouch on this one requires Herculean strength but apparently there’s something inside which can be adjusted.

Oh, and my friend has said I can keep it as a birthday gift! Wasn’t expecting that at all. He’s put a lot of love into it as he brought it back to life after it had been abused over many years at a local studio. Really chuffed as I was already keeping my eyes peeled to buy one.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 06:35:05 PM »
I bet if you were in a rock band now, your back would veto the DX7! I landed a second one a couple years ago (for $80!) and very quickly remembered how incredibly heavy that thing is.

Pretty hefty, but I had a wheeled case for my DX-7, which made all the difference. DX-7 weighs 31 pounds, just like P5 Rev. 4, so my back still has something to look forward to.

Oh, and my friend has said I can keep it as a birthday gift!

Wow! Happy birthday!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 04:38:59 AM »

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 08:22:06 AM »
Still really hoping Yamaha does a dedicated FM synth again. Not just incorporate it in a workstation.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 02:48:10 PM »
Still really hoping Yamaha does a dedicated FM synth again. Not just incorporate it in a workstation.
the only thing out there at present is the 4-operator Reface DX.