Waldorf M

LPF83

Waldorf M
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
Thoughts?  My initial thought is it seems pricey up against other digital synth offerings these days, but admittedly I am not very familiar with the original Microwave, so it's not directly hitting a nostalgia spot for me.  It sounds good enough, overall, but based on limited sound demos available, I'm not feeling the urge to part with 2 grand over it.

https://cdm.link/2021/09/waldorf-are-back-to-the-future-with-m-wavetable-synth/

https://youtu.be/t2u3MljhKd0

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Waldorf M
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 12:42:30 PM »
I like that it's 4 part multitimbral.

But no internal FXs? That seems like a really odd choice given Waldorf's other products.

Still would like a keyboard version tho

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »

But no internal FXs? That seems like a really odd choice given Waldorf's other products.

Also from Waldorfs product page....

... "However, unlike other Waldorf synthesizers, there is no modulation matrix in M. Making a conscious design decision to set up M’s modulation facilities directly on the corresponding display page, to paying tribute to the 1989-vintage Microwave"...   so maybe the focus was more on doing what Dave did with the Rev4... trying to keep it as true to the original as possible? 

That's where I will have to rely on feedback from others on what made the original Microwave synths great?

I would have thought a hardware PPG Wave reissue would have connected more with vintage synth fans.  Never mind that it probably wouldn't sound very different from their softsynth (which I recently picked up for $20)..
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 08:39:22 PM »

Also from Waldorfs product page....

... "However, unlike other Waldorf synthesizers, there is no modulation matrix in M. Making a conscious design decision to set up M’s modulation facilities directly on the corresponding display page, to paying tribute to the 1989-vintage Microwave"...   so maybe the focus was more on doing what Dave did with the Rev4... trying to keep it as true to the original as possible? 

That's where I will have to rely on feedback from others on what made the original Microwave synths great?

I would have thought a hardware PPG Wave reissue would have connected more with vintage synth fans.  Never mind that it probably wouldn't sound very different from their softsynth (which I recently picked up for $20)..

If Waldorf's intention was to keep the M close to the Microwave then the Microwaves 8 part multitimbrality vs the M's 4 part doesn't hold up. It also appears to be missing the Speech Synthesizer that was in the Microwave as well.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 06:01:45 AM »
The M does look and sound very interesting and regarding its heritage to the Microwave with the new SSi 2144 as opposed to the originals curtis filters it is still very much worth exploring.
I am a bit DSI/Sequential biased but this does tick a few boxes.
Had poor user support from Vermona "(Re: Perfourmer 4) so wonder id Waldorf is any better in this regard?

Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »
The M does look and sound very interesting and regarding its heritage to the Microwave with the new SSi 2144 as opposed to the originals curtis filters it is still very much worth exploring.
I am a bit DSI/Sequential biased but this does tick a few boxes.
Had poor user support from Vermona "(Re: Perfourmer 4) so wonder id Waldorf is any better in this regard?

People's Quantum screens are falling in (literally!)  and they haven't addressed the issue so I would say...no.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 04:41:20 PM »
They've just released a 16 voice version..  With 4 part multi-timbrality, that could be fun..
Owners of the 8 voice can drop in an expansion board.