Piano velocity response

Piano velocity response
« on: September 11, 2021, 04:38:30 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the OB-6 and a classically trained pianist. After a few hours of playing around, there are some velocity curves that i like and others less, but I still cannot say which velocity response is closest to a typical piano response. So i'm curious if pianists have a preference on a particular velocity curve, or why you like a specific curve ? Does it even make sense to look for a curve that is close to a piano since a lot of synth timbres will have a completely different Amplitude envelope altogether anyway?

Re: Piano velocity response
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new OB-6!

I have the OB-6 desktop and use the Rev2 as a controller. I usually end up on curve number 4. I've read that others have issues with the OB-6 keyboard curves...Check the thread below for a bit more info. You are right about specific sounds not reacting like a piano would. In those cases, I would use the curve that best fits the part and the sound that you are playing.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=1734.0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:37:13 AM by RobustAmerican »

Re: Piano velocity response
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
(Belated) Thank you for your reply. That thread was really helpful. I have years of piano training but not much experience with synths. There's a bit of a transition to be made there but glad I'm not the only one having difficulties
 with the curves.