Selling Prophet Rev2 to get a Take 5 - Insane ?

Selling Prophet Rev2 to get a Take 5 - Insane ?
« on: September 10, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
Hello there,

I was asking me the question : should I get rid of my Rev2 8voices to get the new Take 5 ?
I own a Pro3 and love it. The take 5 seems more straight forward than the Rev2, has 2 VCOs and the vintage knob...

Any opinion ?

Thanks for your help and comments !

Cheers

S.

Re: Selling Prophet Rev2 to get a Take 5 - Insane ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
Do you require extensive modulation options or bi timbrality?

chysn

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »
There's always a temptation to jump at the newest thing. To me it looks like a lateral move. The Take 5 has some advantages and some disadvantages, but the advantages don't seem compelling enough to go through the trouble of selling a synth, boxing it up, shipping it out.

I can't say what you need or want, but maybe give yourself sort of a "cooling off" period and see if the itch sticks around.

I'm one of the few people who think that 3 octaves is perfectly sufficient for a monosynth. On the other hand, I think 3 1/2 octaves on a polysynth would drive me mad. If I were in the market for a poly these days, it'd be either a REV2 or a Prophet 6. Prophet 6 is in a different price league, but the REV2 seems like a really good value.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 10:36:36 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 10:57:10 AM »
There's always a temptation to jump at the newest thing. To me it looks like a lateral move. The Take 5 has some advantages and some disadvantages, but the advantages don't seem compelling enough to go through the trouble of selling a synth, boxing it up, shipping it out.

I can't say what you need or want, but maybe give yourself sort of a "cooling off" period and see if the itch sticks around.

I'm one of the few people who think that 3 octaves is perfectly sufficient for a monosynth. On the other hand, I think 3 1/2 octaves on a polysynth would drive me mad. If I were in the market for a poly these days, it'd be either a REV2 or a Prophet 6. Prophet 6 is in a different price league, but the REV2 seems like a really good value.

I look at the Take 5 as the Juno to Sequential's Jupiter (Prophet 6.). It's a lower priced model with a more stripped down set of features/memory but it has it's own flavor that is more of a "compliment" poly synth rather than primary poly synth.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 10:42:44 PM »
Thank you for all your answers !

Really appreciate it

In fact the more I think about it, the more I realize that I probably preferably should upgrade my 8voice to a 16 !

I will let me some time to decide.

Never easy to resist to new products…

Have a great weekend !

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 03:49:03 AM »
I'm one of the few people who think that 3 octaves is perfectly sufficient for a monosynth. On the other hand, I think 3 1/2 octaves on a polysynth would drive me mad.

This mirrors my thought... for playing a poly synth with both hands, 61 keys is perfect... 49 is doable and is a reasonable compromise for a decent amount of portability.

The Take5 seems to be a great option for those who need increased portability.  If compact footprint/portability is not the primary feature needed, the increased capabilities of the Rev2 would put it higher on my wish list.  If I were gigging and choosing between the two, I'd probably go with the Take5.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 07:46:30 AM »
"It's a lower priced model with a more stripped down set of features/memory but it has it's own flavor that is more of a "compliment" poly synth rather than primary poly synth."

I think I may be saving up for one of these down the line for this very reason, I think it should compliment the Rev2 rather well, although I may put it off for as long as I can just in case they do an SE edition with more keys / voices.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
Well, I actually did what the OP was asking...I sold my Rev2 once I heard about the Take 5.

I should mention that I have the PRO3, which I always preferred timbre-wise to the Rev2.  Once I saw and heard the demos of the Take 5 I figured it would fit my needs better.   Just recently bought the Take 5, and my decision was right for me.
(Where I found the Rev2 to be a little chilly sounding, the Take 5 and Pro3 feel more rounded, buttery, and organic)

....anyhow, I thought I'd share my experience!

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »
if you use splits and layers like I often do, I would advise you to keep your Rev 2 and maybe get a Take 5 to complement it. I have considered this option for myself. my problem is that I don't know if the Take 5 can sound different enough from my Rev 2 to justify me getting one. i'm thinking maybe I should save up for an OB6 Desktop, because that has more of the sound that I'm looking for, but that's just me. however, the Take 5 has some really improved effects and sinewave as one of the waveform choices, Which can lead to new sonic possibilities.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 06:47:33 AM »
Living in Portland Oregon, where we are lucky to have a shop (Control Voltage) that stocks Sequential synths, I went in to try the Rev2, convinced I was going to buy it. BUT... they had one Take 5 left and I loved the sound. I went back and forth between the two, trying to make myself love the Rev2 as much as I loved the Take 5, to no avail.

Now the Take 5 is in my house and I've been playing it for a month. I often find myself *really* wishing it had 5 octaves and bi-timbrality and more patch storage. All three of those features would be *very* useful for my workflow. In a way it's crazy that I put sound first, given how practical those things are, lol. Also not a huge fan of the name, or the look. But I still love the sound to bits.

I guess that's not much help to the OP, other than to say "I feel your pain". :-)

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 07:21:53 AM »
Living in Portland Oregon, where we are lucky to have a shop (Control Voltage) that stocks Sequential synths, I went in to try the Rev2, convinced I was going to buy it. BUT... they had one Take 5 left and I loved the sound. I went back and forth between the two, trying to make myself love the Rev2 as much as I loved the Take 5, to no avail.

Now the Take 5 is in my house and I've been playing it for a month. I often find myself *really* wishing it had 5 octaves and bi-timbrality and more patch storage. All three of those features would be *very* useful for my workflow. In a way it's crazy that I put sound first, given how practical those things are, lol. Also not a huge fan of the name, or the look. But I still love the sound to bits.

I guess that's not much help to the OP, other than to say "I feel your pain". :-)

Congrats on your T5. I'm always a fan of sound over features. To quote, "In space, nobody can hear your features." Uh...

xoxo

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 08:16:01 AM »
for "real" keyboard players 3 1/2 octaves might be limiting.
besides the great sound, i bought it for the small size and the possibility to split the keyboard makes it very playable.

I'm one of the few people who think that 3 octaves is perfectly sufficient for a monosynth. On the other hand, I think 3 1/2 octaves on a polysynth would drive me mad.

This mirrors my thought... for playing a poly synth with both hands, 61 keys is perfect... 49 is doable and is a reasonable compromise for a decent amount of portability.

The Take5 seems to be a great option for those who need increased portability.  If compact footprint/portability is not the primary feature needed, the increased capabilities of the Rev2 would put it higher on my wish list.  If I were gigging and choosing between the two, I'd probably go with the Take5.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 03:53:38 PM »
for "real" keyboard players 3 1/2 octaves might be limiting.
besides the great sound, i bought it for the small size and the possibility to split the keyboard makes it very playable.

A lot of folks also forget one of the benefits of smaller keyboards, the ease of having the right hand on one and the left on another.  Sometimes I find I get musical ideas and outcomes when using two separate keyboards simultaneously playing two different sounds that I wouldn't get any other way.  Then again the same is true for splits (which is a bit easier to accomplish on 61 keys and up).  But, the size of the T5 makes it possible to situate it side by side with another shorty.  Maybe a Virus Polar, or Pro3, etc.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:49 AM »
I've owned the Rev2 and I loved it but the Take-5 is an entirely different league. The overall sound is vastly better, the sound design capabilities are stronger & more flexible. You're really only losing 3 lfos and a looping aux envelope. it's not that big of a deal when you consider the mod matrix can patch many sources to multiple destinations and you can modulate mod slots. You get analog overdrive, much better effects (very usable, sound great. far beyond the unusable rev2 fx), extremely powerful fm, sine waves, much better filter, voice spread mod source for panning and other sources, better sounding vcos over the good sounding but very bright/harsh (imo) dcos of the rev2. The wave morphing, the oscillator sync, the fm are all much more versatile and musical on this synth.

I did like the Rev2 a lot, but i felt like i was constantly fighting to pull back the overbearing treble presence. It can do brass well, and it's beautiful, but the Take-5 can do brass better and so much more. You can get insane fm textures with pulse wave modulating a sine wave, which has a percussive clean tone as you strike it then decays into a gritty undulating powerful rich syrupy timbre.add overdrive to that and it growls. you can get clean koto sounds that you'd expect from fm, but also any type of evolving pad, great mono sounds, bass, patches designed for chords are exceptionally easy to produce.

I dont think you'll miss the 3 voices unless you really use 8 voices at once very often. I cant imagine you do with that timbre. and you may miss the looping envelope that retriggers on each press, like i did initially, but that wears off very quickly. It's a no brainer for me. Not only in terms of Rev2 vs Take-5, but I honestly feel like the answer to all of those threads from the last maybe 3 or so years about "Which Modern Polysynth Under $2000 Should I Get" is now, hands down, without question, the Take 5. The Digitone, The Peak, The Summit, The Hydrasynth , The Medusa, The Rev2, The Analog Four, the Argon 8, The Prologue, even synths above the $2000 range aren't even close in terms of the sum of the Take-5's sound sculpting ability + fx + mod parameters + interface + modern unique character + overall sound quality + quality of components + the interplay between all of these factors

I have no bias, i've just owned a lot of modern synths and i have never felt this connection with a synth, ever. It is mind blowing that it's only $1299
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 03:20:03 AM by Encephalitislethargi »

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 03:13:54 AM »
Well, I actually did what the OP was asking...I sold my Rev2 once I heard about the Take 5.

I should mention that I have the PRO3, which I always preferred timbre-wise to the Rev2.  Once I saw and heard the demos of the Take 5 I figured it would fit my needs better.   Just recently bought the Take 5, and my decision was right for me.
(Where I found the Rev2 to be a little chilly sounding, the Take 5 and Pro3 feel more rounded, buttery, and organic)

....anyhow, I thought I'd share my experience!

I did the exactly same as you.... I sold my Rev2 not in light of the Take 5, as I sold it 6 months ago because I found the sound a bit clinical. Previously had a Prophet 6 but needed the funds and couldn't afford to rebuy it, so bought the 16 voice Rev2 which sounded beautiful with the complex layered sound 16 voices can give, however it sounded a bit clinical/cold.... and didn't really sound as 'analog' as I hoped..... I sold it waiting until I could save up for a Prophet 6 again or even 5, but then bought the Take 5 straight away after hearing it (and its budget friendly price)....completely blown away and it sounded like what I hope the Rev2 to have been, eg incredible modulation options, basic fx, and the 'Sequential sound', but it sounded more organic, buttery and warm....reminding me of the P6 I had before. If you crave the warmer sequential sound with incredible modulation options then I feel this is a better buy than a Rev2 6 voices..... and 16 voices unless you *must have* 16 voices. The only other down side is it doesn't scream vintage Sequential synth aesthetically like a Rev2 and off Prophet does (lack of wood and vintage knobs), BUT it does have the vintage warmer sounds of yesteryear and it has this in buckets, with little effort to bring them about.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:19:42 AM by ronnie19@gmail.com »

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 05:18:53 AM »
I have to agree with Encephalitislethargi and ronnie19@gmail.com

No matter how you spec a synth (DCO vs VCO), or spec mod choices, wood ends, what's going on inside electronically  (and whatever people tend to fetishize these days!) ultimately you have to be moved by the sound.  After all, that's what this is all about.

I don't hold allegiance with any manufacturer or synth.  If product "X" sounds good to me (but happens to be purely Virtual Analog) I won't mind a bit.  I own many VA synths and software, and I enjoy them all.

I feel it's pretty apparent sonically the Take 5 is on a level with other higher-end VCO synths (P5, P6, OB6...)   It was immediate to my ears once I began to play it.  I did not get that same gratification from the REV2, yet it was a beautiful synth as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:23:11 AM by iluvchiclets »

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
thats what i did and very happy w the take5.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 08:17:33 AM »
(...funnily enough, after many months with my Take 5 and months away from the REV2, I realized just how different the REV2 sounds in comparison.  Both synths are unique sounding,  so I bought another REV2 - again!)