Noise generator - additional options

Noise generator - additional options
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
Hello, I would like to know if it would be possible to add functionality to the noise generator.

- Envelope
- Noise color : white, red, purple

Thank you for your attention.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:57:22 PM by lvbeethoven »
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

Re: Noise generator - additional options
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »
I believe the white noise generator is analog so those don’t seem likely. But you can use an aux envelope to control it. And send an external noise in. Or feed the white noise out via CV out, filter it externally for other colors, and feed it in as external audio.

jmg8

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:53:18 AM »
Hello, I would like to know if it would be possible to add functionality to the noise generator.

- Envelope
- Noise color : white, red, purple

Thank you for your attention.

A great way to get lots of flexibility with analog noise is to use the noise mod source on an OSC. Unfortunately, yes this will use up one of the three oscillators. However, it can be worth it, if the noise is an important part of the sound.
It works well with noise modulating the pitch of a square wave (or a noisy wavetable), the square has to be pitched quite high to sound close to white noise. Now you can play with pulse width, pitch, mod amount, shape etc to fine-tune the noise how you like. Another great benefit to this technique is you can get the noise to pitch track (if you want to)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:31:57 PM »
Maybe they could implement a digital noise source as a new waveform in OSC3 with some more variation, like different spectral tilts and also different amount of sparseness. A sparse noise is really useful sometimes when you want something like vinyl pops or if you just want some added "crust" to your sound.

You can get these kinds of sounds using a combination of the other oscillators but then you use up most of the synth voice only for that.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »
Thank you for your answers. It's nice.
I will try all of these.
Good idea for the noise on the 3rd osc:
  - can't we do it ourselves maybe?
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 12:16:15 AM »

Good idea for the noise on the 3rd osc:
  - can't we do it ourselves maybe?

Yes, to some extent I think we can, by constructing wavetables that contain noise. But it would probably sound a bit metallic and harsh since the wavetables are single cycle waveforms that are repeated and we would need to add some randomization to the shapemod to avoid repeating the same short random sequence. But it could sound pretty cool! The "sequential" and "pro3" wavetables contain some noisy parts so those can give an indication of how it would sound like.

A specialized noise waveform in osc3 would still be nice since that could generate nice and smooth noise of different characters.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I'll try  :)
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I'll try  :)

Please report back your findings! I've been thinking of experimenting with this but just won't have the time for it in the foreseeable future.