Prophet 10 2.0 Adjust Volume between Layers

Prophet 10 2.0 Adjust Volume between Layers
« on: September 07, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
Thank you Dave Smith for the incredible 2.0 update!!! Thank YOU!!!

Though, it seems that it would be more logical if Sequential would have assigned the OSC A and OSC B knobs in the "Mixer'" section to adjust the 'mix' between Layer A and Layer B instead of wearing-out the 'Group Select' and 'Bank Select' buttons to adjust the volumes.    Maybe with the 2.1 update? 
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

Re: Prophet 10 2.0 Adjust Volume between Layers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »
Wearing out the buttons? How many presses are you doing per day? 1000?

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:02:48 PM »
The addendum states that you can stay on the button to change the values. No repetitive presses needed.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »

Hmmm, you missed the point of my post.  It's not really about the buttons.  It's about being able to "mix" the two Layers (A & B) in "mixer" section with the OSC A and OSC B knobs; where by, the OSC A knob would control the volume for Layer A and the OSC B would control the volume for Layer B.   

Then, it would be easy to update the silkscreen under each knob as "OSC A/Layer A" and "OSC B/Layer B".
P5 Rev 3.3/P5 Rev 4 (w/Expansion board)/OB8/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/MKS80/MKS70/CP80/S80/AN1x/SK30/Motif XS Rack/CS6R/Crumar DS-2/Performer/ARP Axxe.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
Well, I wouldn't expect such basic functionality. The Rev2 was presented as a bi-timbral synth from the start and even there, the relative layer volume requires menu diving. A crazy design mistake imo.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:07 AM »
Well, I wouldn't expect such basic functionality. The Rev2 was presented as a bi-timbral synth from the start and even there, the relative layer volume requires menu diving. A crazy design mistake imo.

Nor would I want it.  Part of the magic of the P5/10 is the vintage simplicity.  In some ways I appreciate the new features (especially split mode, as that opens up a lot of new compositional opportunities), but at the same time more features always comes with some cost (such as how simple init patch functionality was broken in the new OS release) and additional complexity of a modern synth.  More features = more complexity = less musicality.

Personally I think the existing volume control on layers is fine.  Hold for fast increments, then tap a few times as needed.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Micky

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:50:27 PM »
The volume-control works in normal single patches also.

For me a better way to store the volumes of patches than with the mixer/envelope.

Great update all in all, thank´s again...

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 06:52:20 AM »

you can use amt ov the vca envelop to set manually the volume :) no menu diving and way more useful to manage timbres
// Moog One 16v - Prophet 5 Rev 4-  DSI P08 Rev2 16v - Moog Grandmother - Korg Mono Poly - Roland Jx3p - Moog Mother 32 - Korg Minilogue - Arturia Minibrute //

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 06:54:44 AM »

i agree would be a very nice touch :)

Hmmm, you missed the point of my post.  It's not really about the buttons.  It's about being able to "mix" the two Layers (A & B) in "mixer" section with the OSC A and OSC B knobs; where by, the OSC A knob would control the volume for Layer A and the OSC B would control the volume for Layer B.   

Then, it would be easy to update the silkscreen under each knob as "OSC A/Layer A" and "OSC B/Layer B".
// Moog One 16v - Prophet 5 Rev 4-  DSI P08 Rev2 16v - Moog Grandmother - Korg Mono Poly - Roland Jx3p - Moog Mother 32 - Korg Minilogue - Arturia Minibrute //