The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Prophet 5 Vintage knob behavior

Prophet 5 Vintage knob behavior
« on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
I'm loving my new Prophet 5 Rev4 desktop module! However I'm wondering a little about the functionality of the Vintage knob.

When I trigger a single chord repeatedly from my Akai MPC with the Prophet 5's Vintage knob turned up it does not seem to provide the random, "warm, organic, and alive" quality that I was hoping for as is stated in the owner's manual. It seems to be taking a set of randomized values and repeating those exact same values for each repetition of the same chord triggered.

I made a little recording of an example of what I'm talking about. In this recording, the Vintage knob is turned all the way clockwise to "1". A chord will be played and repeated a few times to demonstrate the effect I speak of. Then I play a different lower register chord one time to "reset the randomization snapshot" (my term) and return to the original chord and repeat it again a few times.

Here's the sound clip: https://www.sndup.net/9d9n When you click the "Download audio!" link at the bottom of the page it should just open in your browser as mp3 audio.

I'm wondering if this is working as intended or if there is another mode of operation for the Vintage knob I can switch to that would impart randomness to each and every repetition of a note or chord played.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:43:42 AM by Sorcerio »

Re: Prophet 5 Vintage knob behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 10:12:00 AM »
When you put the synth in round robin mode the synth will "go around" each voice, instead of using the same voice again.

Each set of randomised values differs per voice, but indeed on the same voice it does not change the values after a note on\off

So in RR mode you will hear it the way you thought it would be.

I had exactly the same thing ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:49:48 AM by Dsil303 »

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »
Ahh thank you! How do you put it in Round Robin mode? Is that documented in an addendum somewhere? I couldn't find it in the main manual.
Nevermind, I just found it on the changelog page. Thanks again!

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 01:31:42 PM »
You're very welcome 👍