Feeling a bit let down... P5/Take 5

LPF83

Re: Feeling a bit let down... P5/Take 5
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 12:09:43 PM »
There seems to be a lot of turbulence around the T5 that I don't quite understand.  Folks have long complained Sequential polys are too expensive, so Dave released a product that addresses that.  I think the fact that it shares one of the Rev 4 filters created a certain expectation or fear that this was going to be a Rev4 killer for a fraction of the price.  The first time I heard it, I knew it was not that.  But it sounds great - absolutely nothing like a vintage Prophet, but great nonetheless.

It sometimes seem like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario with product design.  If Dave had called the T5 a Prophet-anything, everyone would be crying blasphemy.  He's always said he wants each product to have a distinct sound and personality, and I think he achieved that with this product.  When he put a 2 pole filter in the OB6, if he had called that a Prophet BX or something, I think there would have been uproar.. so he did the right thing and got Tom Oberheim involved.  Here he created a 5 voice synth that, from what I can tell in YT vids, likely sounds better than competitors at the same price point.  It's geared to be a portable synth that has a lot of features in a small footprint.  Honestly I think Dave succeeded at what he set out to do and I believe the product will be a success long-term.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:11:15 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC