Prophet 600

Re: Prophet 600
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »
Funny to feel I'm possibly hijacking this thread, but my question is basic and not related to any upgrades.
I have only had limited experience with the 600. The main studio I used to record at had one and I'd mess with it for a few minutes at a time. I don't remember much of it. Curious now, as a Prophet 6 owner and former P5 owner, how the 600 sits sonically in the sandwich.

Good question, in my opinion sonically the original (non-upgraded) Prophet-600 is a rough beast which lacks a bit the variable and creamy sound of the P5. The Prophet 6 comes with a more clean and perhaps the most variable sound. The GliGli & Pan modded P600 however catches up greatly to the P5, making it a quite good (and cheaper!) alternative. The P5 design remains to be an all-time beauty though.

I'd be also interested in the judgement of other users...   8)

For your convenience I uploaded another 13 sound examples  (Prophet-600 with gligli + panorama) here, pls. see "Klangbeispiele": 

https://www.amazona.de/leser-artikel/sequential-circuits-prophet-600-panorama-modifikation/

Note I recorded directly into my notebook using the built-in (sorry a bit noisy) soundcard, no effects, no postproduction, just raw stuff.

Hope you like it anyway.  8)

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
Funny to feel I'm possibly hijacking this thread, but my question is basic and not related to any upgrades.
I have only had limited experience with the 600. The main studio I used to record at had one and I'd mess with it for a few minutes at a time. I don't remember much of it. Curious now, as a Prophet 6 owner and former P5 owner, how the 600 sits sonically in the sandwich.

Good question, in my opinion sonically the original (non-upgraded) Prophet-600 is a rough beast which lacks a bit the variable and creamy sound of the P5. The Prophet 6 comes with a more clean and perhaps the most variable sound. The GliGli & Pan modded P600 however catches up greatly to the P5, making it a quite good (and cheaper!) alternative. The P5 design remains to be an all-time beauty though.

For your convenience I uploaded another 13 sound examples  (Prophet-600 with gligli + panorama) here, pls. see "Klangbeispiele": 

https://www.amazona.de/leser-artikel/sequential-circuits-prophet-600-panorama-modifikation/

Note I recorded directly into my notebook using the built-in (sorry a bit noisy) soundcard, no effects, no postproduction, just raw stuff.

Quite nice, and "raw" is my preferred way of listening to a synth in the wild.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »

Quite nice, and "raw" is my preferred way of listening to a synth in the wild.

Excellent, thanks, please give a shout when you come for "Clubbing in Munich;)

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 03:01:06 AM »
My friend Marcus is now also a  v e r y   p r o u d  owner of this great synthesizer. I helped him to build up / integrate both upgrades GliGli and Pan Mod.
Note Marcus recorded an LP with pure Prophet 600 sound before we did the upgrades. This vinyl is not professionally marketed. Actually it is not marketed at all, it was mainly the realization of a dream. However anyone interested I'd be happy to get you in touch, just let me know.

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2018, 11:57:35 AM »
Hi there,

Sound designer and producer Jan Pieter Geersing created a very nice YT video of his gligli and panorama modded Prophet 600:

https://youtu.be/MnoZoLZDjPo

When you visit Jan's channel, please also watch his Jupiter 6 based interpretation of Human League's "Don't You Want Me" , it's just too great!

Enjoy :-)

Kind regards,
Pete66

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
Hi, just picked up a Prophet 600. Having trouble finding sounds for it online. Is anyone aware of user groups, resource pages etc that might have patches for download or sale? Mostly looking for darker stuff for soundtracks and electronica. I’ll certainly be rolling my own, but love to have patches for inspiration and editing. Is there a gligli user group or sources fir patches for gligli modded 600s?Thanks for any input you can offer. I have searched and have found almost nothing.

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
The Prophet 600 came out just after I bought my first synthesizer, the Polysix. At the time I really wished I'd waited, though it ended up being fine.

The Gigli upgrade continually has me interested. I'm definitely going to do the similar Kiwi8P upgrade to my JX-8P. I'm about to start fixing up my Polysix--I may look at one of these after I finish and see how well I like going back to it.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
I've been infatuated with the particular sound of this instrument for years.  It strikes me as distinctive, bold, and brassy like the moog sound.

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
I've been infatuated with the particular sound of this instrument for years.  It strikes me as distinctive, bold, and brassy like the moog sound.

Depending on the condition of the CEM3372 filter / VCA, the sound of the Prophet-600 can soften a bit into a nicely-overdriven, fleshy wash; I wouldn't call it bright by any stretch.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Yeah. Knowing your gear (and ok, having the Gigli upgrade) really makes a difference.

What kills me is that there's more tonal variation in that video than I've heard in almost all Moog One demos.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
Yeah. Knowing your gear (and ok, having the Gigli upgrade) really makes a difference.

What kills me is that there's more tonal variation in that video than I've heard in almost all Moog One demos.

I'd guess that it's a consequence of the One's complexity, and the constraints of the P-600 forcing one to take things to the extremes.

I do miss the sound of my P-600 and, while my plan remains to replace it with a Prophet-6 imminently, I haven't had as much time as late to do any serious synth work (which I hope will sort itself out).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
I used to make the Prophet 600 sing back in the day in 1984 and after.  I modified/made my own custom patches, a few specifically for use to run through a Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 distortion pedal.  End result?  The best damn power-chord guitar emulation you could get from ANY synth at the time.  I used these patches to play power chords & crunches in order to back-up our guitar player when he would take a solo.   8)

The recordings are old, but if you would like to hear what this sounded like, you can go to my "Prophet 600 Project" page on ReverbNation at https://www.reverbnation.com/prophet600project, or just google "chuck cohen prophet 600".   :)

Chuck Cohen

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2019, 04:22:56 AM »
I modified/made my own custom patches, a few specifically for use to run through a Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 distortion pedal.  End result?  The best damn power-chord guitar emulation you could get from ANY synth at the time.  I used these patches to play power chords & crunches in order to back-up our guitar player when he would take a solo.   8)

Ah the Boss guitar pedal range!  Secret weapons of the synthesist.  I used to use the Boss Turbo Distortion, DD3 and a Yamaha stereo chorus on an MS-20 for the "who needs a guitar?" lead patch myself :)

Re: Prophet 600 gunnare soundbank on youtube
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
is there someone that could get the soundbank of gunnare on you tube

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 05:58:14 AM »
For those who are interested in presets for the Prophet 600 that take full advantage of the GliGli mod check out this demo. The demo gives a good impression of what the Prophet 600 with a GliGli mod is capable of.
Spoiler...It becomes a truly great synth.  ;D

Presets are available here: https://tinyurl.com/t886kkr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZNh7VIMLQ&feature=emb_title