Prophet 600

Re: Prophet 600
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
Someone recently did a voice panning upgrade similar to the one of the OB-X. The article is in German, but you can find audio examples below the article and the word "Klangbeispiele":

https://www.amazona.de/diy-sequential-prophet-600-panorama-upgrade/

Might be interesting to mount the pan adjust pots within the wood side panel a la OB-Series....

That would probably be the coolest solution. I found it quite interesting what it does to the sound. It turns it into a really luxurious sounding synth.

Hello, I coincidentally came across this conversation and thought it might be interesting to comment.
It's me who wrote this article about my little DIY P600 panning project. Due to the positive resonance I'd like to make this upgrade productive, accessible and easily applicable for interested P600 enthusiasts. In this context I teamed up with a small but fine company in Germany which has a good reputation and experience with its own synthesizer upgrades. As this engagement just started it may take a little while until they have a final product on the table. In this scenario I have no financial interest but would love to see a professional realization of my idea. Any questions or suggestions in the meantime please let me know.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 03:41:36 AM »
Hello, I coincidentally came across this conversation and thought it might be interesting to comment.
It's me who wrote this article about my little DIY P600 panning project. Due to the positive resonance I'd like to make this upgrade productive, accessible and easily applicable for interested P600 enthusiasts. In this context I teamed up with a small but fine company in Germany which has a good reputation and experience with its own synthesizer upgrades. As this engagement just started it may take a little while until they have a final product on the table. In this scenario I have no financial interest but would love to see a professional realization of my idea. Any questions or suggestions in the meantime please let me know.

Thank you for sharing, Pete66. I'm sure this upgrade will attract quite a few Prophet 600 users. So I'm wishing you good luck with this project! Also: Feel free to post any further updates on here.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »
It certainly speaks to the extensibility of the older synthesizer platforms, especially those for which the microprocessor became such an important sonic element.

I've been pretty impressed with the Gligli Prophet-600; it solves many of the issues I had with the envelope and LFO resolution, and it's been a source of great inspiration, even if it's just been ten-minute, as-I-walk-down-the-hallway interspersions.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »

Thank you for sharing, Pete66. I'm sure this upgrade will attract quite a few Prophet 600 users. So I'm wishing you good luck with this project! Also: Feel free to post any further updates on here.

Thank you Paul Dither for your encouraging words!  :)  Any news I will let you and this forum know.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »

Thank you Paul Dither for your encouraging words!  :)  Any news I will let you and this forum know.

Hi Paul (& Sequential Circuits / Dave Smith Instruments enthusiasts), As promised, here a quick status update: unfortunately the project with the 3rd party didn't realize as they put higher priority on their own latest development. Fair enough but somewhere sad... However good news, I found some time to design a PCB where I expect to get a batch of limited number of pcs within the next 10 days. These are pure unpopulated PCBs in through hole technology. Once avail I will of course populate one and run some test with it in my P600 to prove that everything is working fine. In parallel I will try to find a reliable and smooth solution for the CEM 3372 filter IC adaptors (one needed per voice). Already have some ideas, let's see. Also I will write a quick starter guide so that people can easily build up and integrade this mod into their Prophet-600. That's basically all for now, please stay tuned. Any questions in the meantime please let me know.  Let the sound be with us. All the best from Munich / Germany, Peter

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »

Hi Paul (& Sequential Circuits / Dave Smith Instruments enthusiasts), As promised, here a quick status update: unfortunately the project with the 3rd party didn't realize as they put higher priority on their own latest development. Fair enough but somewhere sad... However good news, I found some time to design a PCB where I expect to get a batch of limited number of pcs within the next 10 days. These are pure unpopulated PCBs in through hole technology. Once avail I will of course populate one and run some test with it in my P600 to prove that everything is working fine. In parallel I will try to find a reliable and smooth solution for the CEM 3372 filter IC adaptors (one needed per voice). Already have some ideas, let's see. Also I will write a quick starter guide so that people can easily build up and integrade this mod into their Prophet-600. That's basically all for now, please stay tuned. Any questions in the meantime please let me know.  Let the sound be with us. All the best from Munich / Germany, Peter

As a suggestion: if your plan is to implement dual VCAs for output panning, per voice, please attempt to match the voltage-controlled pan behavior of the Curtis CEM 3379 / 3389 ICs (see link below), as used in later Sequential products. This would make it easier to integrate into other products (other than the Prophet 600) in the future, using the Gligli source code along with some additional support parts. (This would allow for storage of panning settings at global or patch level.)

http://www.curtiselectromusic.com/uploads/CEM_3389_Prelim.pdf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:46:12 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

As a suggestion: if your plan is to implement dual VCAs for output panning, per voice, please attempt to match the voltage-controlled pan behavior of the Curtis CEM 3379 / 3389 ICs (see link below), as used in later Sequential products. This would make it easier to integrate into other products (other than the Prophet 600) in the future, using the Gligli source code along with some additional support parts. (This would allow for storage of panning settings at global or patch level.)

Thanks for the proposal, I think this is a very good idea hich could be reflected in a future update. Current design is not so sophisticated, it is based on a buffered passive pan section and dual VCA only in the output stage. Actually the VCA is used here for manual volume control (like in the original circuit) and for output signal mute when auto tune is activated.

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »

Thanks for the proposal, I think this is a very good idea hich could be reflected in a future update. Current design is not so sophisticated, it is based on a buffered passive pan section and dual VCA only in the output stage. Actually the VCA is used here for manual volume control (like in the original circuit) and for output signal mute when auto tune is activated.

Today I picked up the PCBs

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »

That looks like a busy weekend ahead.  ;)

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »

Exactly, busy but enjoyable  :D

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »

Here we go, first build. Will do some testing tomorrow.   ::)

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »

Very nice!

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:58 AM »

Very nice!

Many thanks  :). Outboard tests with external supply & oscilloscope were positive, next is to integrate this thing into my P600...

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:07 AM »
...and everything works fine!  :) Next is some "how to" docu.

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
...and everything works fine!  :) Next is some "how to" docu.

Hi All,

The docu is meanwhile in place, starting with a comprehensive 27pgs german users guide, tb. followed by an english version soon.
AND: famous online-shop "Das Musikding" will very soon (target: by weeks end!) be offering a complete kit including PCB at a very reasonable price. Please watch out for news and further details at https://www.musikding.de/
Trust these measures will make it easier for Prophet600 enthusiasts to enjoy the suggested panorama modification.

Cheers,
Pete66

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »
Fantastic! Glad to hear that everything worked out fine.

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
Funny to feel I'm possibly hijacking this thread, but my question is basic and not related to any upgrades.
I have only had limited experience with the 600. The main studio I used to record at had one and I'd mess with it for a few minutes at a time. I don't remember much of it. Curious now, as a Prophet 6 owner and former P5 owner, how the 600 sits sonically in the sandwich.

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 10:38:07 PM »

Thanks very much  :)
In the meantime there is also an english manual available, please see attached.
The offering for the complete kit should go online some time next week @ www.musikding.de
I'm confident that these measures will ease Prophet-600 enthusiasts around the world to making use of this upgrade.

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »

Thanks very much  :)
In the meantime there is also an English manual available, please see attached.
The offering for the complete kit should go online some time next week @ www.musikding.de
I'm confident that these measures will ease Prophet-600 enthusiasts around the world to making use of this upgrade.

It's there!  ;D

Please find below direct link to the kit in the online shop:

English version:
https://www.musikding.de/Prophet-600-Pan-Mod_1

German version:
https://www.musikding.de/Prophet-600-Pan-Mod

Have fun!

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
Funny to feel I'm possibly hijacking this thread, but my question is basic and not related to any upgrades.
I have only had limited experience with the 600. The main studio I used to record at had one and I'd mess with it for a few minutes at a time. I don't remember much of it. Curious now, as a Prophet 6 owner and former P5 owner, how the 600 sits sonically in the sandwich.

Good question, in my opinion sonically the original (non-upgraded) Prophet-600 is a rough beast which lacks a bit the variable and creamy sound of the P5. The Prophet 6 comes with a more clean and perhaps the most variable sound. The GliGli & Pan modded P600 however catches up greatly to the P5, making it a quite good (and cheaper!) alternative. The P5 design remains to be an all-time beauty though.

I'd be also interested in the judgement of other users...   8)