Momus - the Synthy EP

Momus - the Synthy EP
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
Not sure if we have any Momus fans on board, but his latest Open University video is quite synth-focused. He references Hainbach's recent explorations with Italian synths, talks about his own latest music - the Synthy EP - and even manages to name check me! His videos are always amusing, to say the least.

chysn

Re: Momus - the Synthy EP
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
Going to sit down and watch this properly once my wife relinquishes the TV. It seems like a nice thing to watch while bathing my tortoise*.

* "Bathing my tortoise" is not a euphemism for anything untoward. It's a literal thing I need to do tonight.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Going to sit down and watch this properly once my wife relinquishes the TV. It seems like a nice thing to watch while bathing my tortoise*.

* "Bathing my tortoise" is not a euphemism for anything untoward. It's a literal thing I need to do tonight.

Hope you enjoy the video. I love pretty much anything Momus does these days - ain't nobody with a mind like his. One thing I'm ever-stunned by is that he writes and records his songs in a single move, and then does the videos. All in a day, basically. I know I'm prolific, but I'm not Momus prolific.

Regarding your tortoise - a funny coincidence. After my wife and I met up with Momus last week, we headed over to the pet department at Karstadt, ostensibly to pick up German dog treats for our dog back home, but really to check out snakes. Trying to convince the mother-in-law that a tangerine milk snake wouldn't be an utterly terrifying addition to our creature collection. But we got waylaid by the turtles and tortoises and were almost certain we needed to one. Beautiful creatures!

chysn

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »
Well, you could do a lot worse than find a tortoise to take care of. I've always wanted one, and it was pretty much now or never.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »
Ah, I love turtles.  But I have to ask, how much did you shell out for him?

chysn

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 08:03:02 PM »
Ah, I love turtles.  But I have to ask, how much did you shell out for him?

Bwa ha! I see what you did there.

My cousin didn’t have the space for him, so I shelled out nothing.

I’m going to watch this video now!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »
He's very professorial in how he scoops everything happening today into a big mush and delivers it back, slightly re-arranged. It makes for a fun style, even if I forget everything immediately.

I was aware that the Italians made synths, of course, like Crumar and Siel, with the latter being a key part of Sequential's (failed?) plans to crack the 80s low-end market.

When I worked in music retail in the mid-90s, we were a dealer for Generalmusic, another Italian company that's since faded away. Generalmusic actually had some noteworthy products. My store carried the Pro 1 and Pro 2 (yep), which were amazing digital pianos. These pianos realistically simulated sympathetic resonance, with the sound of sustained keys ringing proportionately as other notes with shared overtones were played later. The Pro 2 had more polyphony (128) than keys (88). These features made for an unusually rich piano sound. Keith Emerson was a Generalmusic endorser, and my store acquired a one-of-a-kind workstation that they made to his specifications, specifically for him.

So, when it comes to Italy, they certainly do have a strong, but largely forgotten, synth tradition grafted onto their more-commonly-acknowledged accordion tradition.

Thanks for sharing that!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:02:42 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his