Prophet 5/10 R4 preset bank buttons not responding first time?

My Prophet 10 R4 was fine since new (had it since Feb this year). A few weeks back I noticed that pressing a preset (program select) button would sometimes not register, even with mulitple/strong presses.. then finally it would respond. Some of the others would work first time, but then they too wouldn't respond (seems random).

Is this a FW issue anyone else has noticed? I'm hoping it's not hardware related (though from new my '7' button felt like it was soldered in wrong and was too noisy a click vs the other buttons.

All other programming buttons work fine 1st time. I don't know if it's a cable come loose or just a bad board from the start that has deteriorated but it's HIGHLY annoying.

It was fine for ages, I've done one FW update so prob came in after that - I'm on 1.5.0 so I guess I should update to 1.5.2 soon to see if that fixed it (and reset everything).

Any ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:33:12 AM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

Re: Prophet 5/10 R4 preset bank buttons not responding first time?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »
hi, i have the same problem as you. It usually occurs when I do not turn on the instrument for a few days then just insist on the same key more than once and the problem goes away. The preset keys most sensitive to this are 3 and 7. I was hoping it was an OS issue but it didn't go away with the various updates

Ps. let me know if you reported this to Sequential and what they reply to you

Dan Chat

• Live and let live
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 03:52:56 PM »
Hi, I don’t have the same problem but I do have a problem with the presets being in tune. I have a prophet 10 I put on the preset 111 to get the vanhalen jump sound and it’s like the board is controlling it. Maybe I’m not adding a switch or something. So I know nothing about synthesis and I’m throwing myself on the mercy of the forum. Thank you Dan
Dan Chatterton

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:52:27 PM »
Hi,
Yes-I've had this issue with mine as well. It goes away once I've warmed the keyboard up. After an hour or so of play I don't have that issue. As someone above said. Happens when days go by without turning the unit on. Must still be in burn in mode as I only get to use it on the weekends for the most part. Hope this helps.
PROPHET 5 REV.4 /ROLAND JX 8P/YAMAHA DX 7/ROLAND ALPHA JUNO 2/ KORG POLY 800/SEQUENTIAL DRUMTRAKS/ROLAND SVC-350/ROLAND TR 707

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 01:52:47 AM »
My Prophet 10 R4 was fine since new (had it since Feb this year). A few weeks back I noticed that pressing a preset (program select) button would sometimes not register, even with mulitple/strong presses.. then finally it would respond. Some of the others would work first time, but then they too wouldn't respond (seems random).

Is this a FW issue anyone else has noticed? I'm hoping it's not hardware related (though from new my '7' button felt like it was soldered in wrong and was too noisy a click vs the other buttons.

All other programming buttons work fine 1st time. I don't know if it's a cable come loose or just a bad board from the start that has deteriorated but it's HIGHLY annoying.

It was fine for ages, I've done one FW update so prob came in after that - I'm on 1.5.0 so I guess I should update to 1.5.2 soon to see if that fixed it (and reset everything).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey SynthHead, just wondering if you still have this issue / whether it got any worse or better.  I returned a Prophet 10 today (less than 30 days old) because there was an intermittent issue with the '6' button whereby I would click it and it wouldn't register.  I want to replace it but this makes me nervous.

Does anyone else have this problem ever?  I'm wondering, being that I could always get it to register it's just not necessarily registering first click (and usually because I'm quite a soft-clicker), am I just too fussy?

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 02:15:10 AM »

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey SynthHead, just wondering if you still have this issue / whether it got any worse or better.  I returned a Prophet 10 today (less than 30 days old) because there was an intermittent issue with the '6' button whereby I would click it and it wouldn't register.  I want to replace it but this makes me nervous.

Does anyone else have this problem ever?  I'm wondering, being that I could always get it to register it's just not necessarily registering first click (and usually because I'm quite a soft-clicker), am I just too fussy?

It’s fairly normal. Just press the button 50-100 times to clean it.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is this a joke ?

I'm also having this problem. And it occurs with any kind of button, not only presets buttons. It doesn't look normal at all !

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is this a joke ?

I'm also having this problem. And it occurs with any kind of button, not only presets buttons. It doesn't look normal at all !

No joke, no. Same thing happens with the P6 once in a while. Doing the quick multi-press does the trick.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »
Damn. Ok it works. Sorry I was quite surprised by a solution like that. Hope it will works again for years...

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 09:15:46 AM »
i have the same issue.. to me it seems it sometimes lags quite a bit when many notes are incoming , after multiple presses it reacts

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 09:32:02 AM »
For those who have this problem, make sure that your Prophet is updated because I had the same problem and it was completely solved with the penultimate update. It has never happened once since then.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 11:46:33 AM »
The buttons are, according to the manual, “self cleaning”. I’ll guest that means they are cleaning when hit them some few times when not used for a while.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 02:46:14 AM »
Mine had this problem almost only with the 7 button (sometimes also with 5 if I remember well, but rarely), as said before it was solved with the penultimate update. So I recommend to do the update before opening the case or opening a ticket.

Mo

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 01:10:10 PM »
Hi
I've had the same problem but I found the cause and solution. Watch my video below, hopefully it will solve your problem too
Greetings
Mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYqIDpJDWs