Audio Out as Modulation Source

JayT

Audio Out as Modulation Source
« on: August 29, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
Hi,

had anyone success using Audio Out as a modulation source? I played with it for a while just for fun and couldn’t get anything useful out of it. It does something when used with an oscillator in conjunction with feedback turned up, but it sounds wired.

Is there a known purpose for using audio out as a modulation source?

Best regards.
JayT.

chysn

Re: Audio Out as Modulation Source
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »
It can be routed to one or more CV outputs for external processing. It can be mixed with other Pro 3 modulation sources by routing them to the same CV output.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:38:28 PM »
Probably the most dramatic effect is when you route it to an oscillator or filter. It's FMing them but with the whole pre-fx signal rather than just one oscillator. Sending it to a filter can yield some squelchy results. Sending it to an oscillator can provide a bit of hair or knock the whole thing out of tune depending on the amount and patch.

There are a couple of other cool things I've found. Routing it to Pan results in some stereo spread. Routing it resonance at negative amounts results in interesting resonant harmonics. Otherwise it's pretty subtle. I'm not sure if there's some internal filtering that makes it so subtle or what, but an audio rate signal hitting other destinations should have more effect than it does.

JayT

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:31:32 AM »
CV outputs for external processing
Makes perfectly sense.

Otherwise it's pretty subtle.
That’s exactly what I thought.

I’ll try to route it to cv out and try to have a look at the signal…

JayT

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 07:15:06 AM »
I routed „Audio Out“ to „CV Out 1“ and then into my audio interface. It sounds exactly - like mentioned - like the output right before the effects. It doesn’t seem to be filtered. So maybe the output needs to be made louder to have more impact from „Audio Out“ as modulation source.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:32:53 AM »
I routed „Audio Out“ to „CV Out 1“ and then into my audio interface. It sounds exactly - like mentioned - like the output right before the effects. It doesn’t seem to be filtered. So maybe the output needs to be made louder to have more impact from „Audio Out“ as modulation source.
I would think if there’s filtering it would be on the internal inputs and not on the Audio Out itself.

JayT

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 01:57:13 AM »
I did another try and compared a self modulated Oscillator (OSC1 -> OSC1 Coarse Frequency) with an Audio Out modulated one.

When using two modulation slots both with "Audio Out" as source, then the modulation is doubled and comes pretty close.

This leads me to the assumption, that "Audio Out" may just be a little quite and needs doubling in some cases.

As soon as filter drive is turned up, it becomes more apparent.