FX clicks and pops OS2.10.2

W07

FX clicks and pops OS2.10.2
« on: August 29, 2021, 04:12:19 AM »
I'm still consistently able to reproduce the clicks and pops in the fx section in the latest OS unfortunately.
It happens mostly when
_a lot of random sources are being used
_the reverb algorythm is used
_all mod slots are filled
_fx parameters are used as mod destinations
Once i've reached this situation, i can turn on and off the pops by enabling or disabling one mod slot. any one will do. It clearly seems to be due too dsp being overburdened.

Anyone care to confirm?

Otoh, still love this  thing, it's so deep. I made this acoustic string ensemble sound yesterday that sounds nothing like a synthesizer. I've been thinking of posting a little videoclip online of these 'i-can't-believe-it's-a-synth' patches.

chysn

Re: FX clicks and pops OS2.10.2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
I don't think I've ever made a sound complex enough to trigger this behavior. If you don't mind sharing the sysex of one of your sounds, I'll certainly try it on my Pro 3. My Pro 3 has been well-behaved since the board swap.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

JayT

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:27:37 AM »
I reproduced these clicks today with about 26 modulation slots in use, all oscillators (self) frequency modulated, paraphonic mode and reverb switched on.

Even if they appear occasionally, they are obvious and the output is not useable. I must admit that I rarely build complex patches like that. But it would be of course great, to be able to max out the possibilities if this synth.

W07

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 08:17:11 PM »
Owning a prophet 12 as my main workhorse synth for a few years has made my synth-programming style eat mod slots for breakfast.

I often have slots do conditional changes, for example when the slider is up, mod wheel will do different things than when it is at zero. Basically tons of mod slots affecting mod slots. Note number and velocity affecting envelope shape and characteristics, fx parameters, random modulation to change each note slightly, a bit like the vintage knob, but also in less subtle ways etc.

Often i end up with a '4-vector quadrant' like setup, where there's 4 sounds or variations of a patch, 1.MW down+SLdown, 2.MWup+SLdown,3.MWdown+SLup,4.MWup+SLup. And you can of course morph between them. (and then there's the actual patch morph :)

I also really like to use modulation to the delay and reverb algorythms and envelope changes to trigger 'Freeze'-like effects from the slider.

I don't think i've made many patches that don't use all mod slots (well minus the ones where i run into aforementioned problem) And it's really frustrating when you end up with a great sound, but can't use it unless you give up one mod slot (making me having to redo the whole patch several times in my head to determine what routing is least vital to the sound)

JayT

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 02:09:16 AM »
And you can of course morph between them.

I fully agree with that. To get really expressive  and dynamically playable patches i also end up with a lot of modulation slots e.g. with "Slider" as source. Patch morphing is a nice new feature, but i find it more practical to build all into one patch.