Take 5 - a modern take on Prophet 5?

Take 5 - a modern take on Prophet 5?
« on: August 28, 2021, 03:10:04 AM »
Take 5 is by many compared to the Prophet 5 and not without reasons. Is it a new modded and modernized Prophet 5 with all bells and whistles P5 rev 4 didn’t had, what do you think?

To me it’s first of all a gorgeous sounding poly to an attractive price tag. It’s modern and slick. It seams to have the same rev 1/2 filter if I understand right. I like the filter knob located close to the keyboard for access and controlled by a larger knob as it probably is the most used controller. Booth the filters and VCOs has SSI chips - so far so good.

It sounds great with the effects on but has it the same dry sound quality as the P5? What I heard of sound clips with different patches it lacks the fullness and bite of the P5 and even the P600. In my ears Take 5 is closer to be a P6 v2 and lack the DNA of the Prophet 5. To include the digit 5 in the name of a Sequential synth is odd in times when 8/16 voices are standard, if not for a reason of association. Maybe one more voice and Take 6 would be a more appropriate name of what is. I’ll keep my P5.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:35:06 AM by Analog Prophet »

Re: Take 5 - a modern take on Prophet 5?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
Take 5 is very nice ...
Especially with George Benson , but the original Dave Brubeck version
was groundbreaking back in the days as the "first" popular tune in 5 / 4   ;)

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Take 5 is very nice ...

I thought I was clear but apparently was not: I’m talking about Sequential Take 5 in relation to Sequential (/Circuits) Prophet 5.

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 12:22:44 PM »
Take 5 is very nice ...

I thought I was clear but apparently was not: I’m talking about Sequential Take 5 in relation to Sequential (/Circuits) Prophet 5.

I know ....  That´s why I tried to be funny with another "take" on the subject.  (pun intended)
Hence the blinking smiley at the end of my post .......

Cheers !   ;D

Cheers!

1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
Take 5 is very nice ...

I know ....  That´s why I tried to be funny with another "take" on the subject.  (pun intended)
Hence the blinking smiley at the end of my post .......

Cheers !   ;D

Cheers!

I missed the smiley 😁👍

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 12:54:51 PM »
Easy to miss ....   8)

About the Take 5 ( the synth ) it sounds OK , but I would never
buy a 3,5 octave synth ....   I´m more than happy with my P-10  ;D

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:15:16 PM by HockeBocke »

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »
I think the Take5 is aimed more at the beginner rather than the experienced synthesist.  Those who, at this time, cannot justify the CAD$5000+ price for a prophet5/10 as their first synth. 

I see the Take5 as a higher end competitor to the Minilogue.  As much as the Minilogue sounds great the slimkeys are a massive deal breaker for me.  the Rev2 8 voice is only a few hundred dollars more, but then I would be hunting for an expansion board sooner rather than later.     

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 01:57:09 PM »
I think the Take5 is aimed more at the beginner rather than the experienced synthesist.  Those who, at this time, cannot justify the CAD$5000+ price for a prophet5/10 as their first synth. 

I see the Take5 as a higher end competitor to the Minilogue.  As much as the Minilogue sounds great the slimkeys are a massive deal breaker for me.  the Rev2 8 voice is only a few hundred dollars more, but then I would be hunting for an expansion board sooner rather than later.     

This is my impression as well.  The Take 5 is geared toward portability...  It has one of the P5/10 filters but not the same oscillators, and the difference in oscillator in terms of providing fat vintage tone is very different even between the P5/10 and the P6, despite the vintage knob of the P6.  I think that much like the Minilogue, it's one of those synths where much of its tone will come more from the oscillator and FX combinations than the oscillators themselves.  Sort of like the old Junos -- only one oscillator and I never heard great things about those DCOs, it was more about what happened to the thinner sound once pushed through the chorus FX.

Ultimately whether a synth goes is regarded long-term as being a great instrument has more to do with what gets done with the synth.  If the Take 5 reaches a broad audience (which seems likely given the price point), it could become kind of a defacto stage instrument for a lot of younger musicians...   In some ways, it was the less pricey sub-premium synths that helped shape a lot of 80's music.  Making them affordable makes it easier for young hopefuls to make music that will be remembered.

I have to say when I listen to the demos, I don't hear much overlap with the P5/10 other than they have in common that Sequential vibe more than, say a Moog vibe or a Roland vibe.

My solution to not suffering the slim keys of the Minilogue was to get the module -- its a great buy -- spectacular sequencer and the whole custom oscillator thing is very useful.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:59:03 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC