How Can I Confirm my Key Sync Button is Working?

How Can I Confirm my Key Sync Button is Working?
« on: August 27, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
I'm not sure if that's the right question,  but I honestly can't tell what my "Key Sync" button does?

I was looking for an answer to the "global LFO" trick written elsewhere here in the forum,  but I can't seem to make that work either.  Unless it's my ears of course...

Is there a sure-fire experiment I can perform on my Prophet 16 to confirm the Key Sync button works?  Thanks in advance...

Re: How Can I Confirm my Key Sync Button is Working?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm not sure if that's the right question,  but I honestly can't tell what my "Key Sync" button does?

I was looking for an answer to the "global LFO" trick written elsewhere here in the forum,  but I can't seem to make that work either.  Unless it's my ears of course...

Is there a sure-fire experiment I can perform on my Prophet 16 to confirm the Key Sync button works?  Thanks in advance...

In terms of LFOs (and Osc too),  Key Sync (sometimes called Key Reset) ensures that the LFO or waveform starts at 0 phase point whenever you hit a key.   If you want to really hear it on LFO, try selecting a square, with a fairly slow rate, and route it to Osc Frequency or Cutoff.   First try without key sync on.  Hit a multi note chord of 3-4 notes... you may notice that the LFOs may not be in phase, and their peaks and valleys may be all over the place, because each LFO is free running per voice (polyphonic).   In some cases, depending on what has happened since you powered on, you may actually have them mostly in phase or locked in.

Now turn on Key Sync, hit a multi note chord of 3-4 notes, and if you hit all the notes at the same time, all of the LFOs should be in-phase. 

The Global LFO trick is:
1. Turn Key Sync On for one or all of the LFOs
2. Turn Unison on with All Voices (16) Active in Unison
3. Hit any key once
4. Turn off Key Sync and Unison

This will force all 16 voices to sync the phase of the LFO(s),  and then when you turn off Key Sync and Unison, the instrument will be polyphonic again, and the LFOs will be "free running", but they will have been recently phase sync'd. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »
Thank you for the helpful reply.  Yes, I will try a square wave to make experimenting easier...

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 02:55:35 AM »
(Your instructions worked perfectly and clearly...my key sync button works fine)

Thank you:)