A farewell to my Rev2

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
A farewell to my Rev2
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:35:30 PM »
Well, I just sold my 16-voice keyboard Rev2 in favour of keeping the keyboard version of the P12. In the end, it was about the workflow and sound, and the P12 had what I was looking for and the Rev2 (which does sound great and I am totally NOT knocking it!) didn't bring enough "different" to the table for my use case. Now, if I was actively gigging and getting paid to do it? I'd probably pick up a Rev2 again in a heartbeat. I'd rather gig with one of those than a fancier board and nobody hears the sound difference in a club anyway. But for studio work, the P12 is just all over the Rev2, so it stayed and the '2 didn't.

There's a fine line between "retired" and "vintage" and I expect the P12 to join my Nord Lead 3 in "vintage" status at some point. Two remarkably powerful synths, neither of which I'd be terribly comfortable taking out for gigs, hah! I fully expect the Rev2 to be honoured in vintage status, when it comes its turn.

I'll say a little soliloquy for the Rev2, though. It was the first (and so far only) analogue polysynth I've ever owned, and for the price it's unbeatable, even with all the bugs it used to have it's always been a terrific, brilliant, delightful instrument. The keyboard is excellent, as good as any synth-action keyboard I've ever played - it is a reference standard for everything else and is quite possibly the thing I'll miss most about having sold it, really. It's truly a player's instrument and I think Dave Smith & Co (thank you Pym!) did a bang-up job on it. It and the Moog Subsequent 37 got me inspired so many times, just jamming away with a grin on my face.

As I said, if I ever really gig again and need a workhorse Prophet style synth, the Rev2 is going right back on the shopping list. But it's the brunette to the P12's fiery redhead, and sometimes you go with your heart.

So, thank you Rev2, and I wish you a great life playing your 16 voices in front of a bunch of appreciative audiences (I sold it to a wedding singer :) ).
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...