Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests

Re: Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2023, 01:51:15 AM »
I'm new to synthesis and bought the Take 5 recently, really enjoying it so far. One basic thing I'd like to see in a firmware update is the ability to save transpose settings in patches I create. It would make live performance much easier not having to worry about switching octaves for certain sounds. If there is already a way to do this I haven't found it yet. I assume it's possible since the low split feature can be saved with the patch, so hope it's an added feature soon!

kpatz

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2023, 06:49:10 AM »
I'm new to synthesis and bought the Take 5 recently, really enjoying it so far. One basic thing I'd like to see in a firmware update is the ability to save transpose settings in patches I create. It would make live performance much easier not having to worry about switching octaves for certain sounds. If there is already a way to do this I haven't found it yet. I assume it's possible since the low split feature can be saved with the patch, so hope it's an added feature soon!
You can transpose the oscillators +/- 2 octaves in the patch.  Adjust filter cutoff to correspond (if using filter key tracking), and anything else you're modulating in the matrix from note number, save patch, voila.

I don't recall any synth off the top of my head that saves the transpose setting in patches.

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2023, 11:29:11 AM »
You can transpose the oscillators +/- 2 octaves in the patch.  Adjust filter cutoff to correspond (if using filter key tracking), and anything else you're modulating in the matrix from note number, save patch, voila.

I don't recall any synth off the top of my head that saves the transpose setting in patches.
Moog Subsequent 37 and Novation Summit both save the keyboard octave transposition settings with the patch. Very useful.

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2023, 12:27:06 AM »
Thanks guys for the quick responses! Yeah, I figured out the oscillator octave approach literally minutes after I sent that, tried it last night and seems to work just fine with a few adjustments.

One other possible firmware idea I have is an option to turn off sequencer looping on a program level. We have a few songs where the sequence only plays once in certain parts so it would be handy if it just stopped after one play through rather than having to turn it off manually. Then again, maybe this too can already be done and I just haven't figured it out yet...

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
I received my Take 5 today, it's a great synth but you all already know it :)

Here are two things that I immediately see need an improvement:

- The "velocity" buttons on the envelopes introduce too much sensitivity when switched on. There needs to be a program setting that sets the degree. With the current level of velocity sensitivity slight touches do not produce any sound whereas a slightly higher velocity makes loud sound. That's very unnatural.

- The small red dot in the 7-segment display that is shown when a pot matches the stored value appears only when the pot is at the exact value and it's close to impossible to find where that is. It requires that you turn the pot VERY slowly and stare at the display or you are going to miss it. I have proposed earlier in this thread different variants, but let's start with something really simple:

Since there are three dots on the 7-segment display, use them to show the direction of the stored value. For instance, show the right dot when pot is higher than the stored value, show the left dot when the pot is less than the stored value and show the middle dot when the pot is at the exact value.

It would be great if the actual numeric value can be shown temporarily on the 7-segment display but let's start with the simple three-dot solution above.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:47:08 AM by CyberGene »

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2023, 11:34:27 AM »
Since there are three dots on the 7-segment display, use them to show the direction of the stored value. For instance, show the right dot when pot is higher than the stored value, show the left dot when the pot is less than the stored value and show the middle dot when the pot is at the exact value.

Love this idea -- would be very helpful.

« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »

Love this idea -- would be very helpful.
I also like the idea but with a slight modification for simplicity.
When the pot is at the exact value, no dot at all.
So the right and left dot would be just for respectively higher and lower value than the stored value.

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2023, 04:00:11 PM »
I've had my Take 5 just about a year now and the only thing that REALLY steams my beans is the fact the sequencer CANNOT OUTPUT MIDI!!!!  Is this an oversight or just some cruel joke?

Excuse me if my rant was out of line and repetitious but I was not about to read the whole 8 pages of this thread,

Mea Culpa :D

Gary

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2023, 10:43:04 PM »

Not to dogpile! But I have an Alesis Micron, my very first dedicated synth keyboard that I got years ago, and it does feature octave position as part of saved patches. It has to do so, as it sports not only a mere 37 keys, but also a very full-featured keyboard splitting ability. AND the ability to apply further transposition in the presets that mix different individual patches. Small unit, big features.

« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2023, 05:05:35 AM »
I've had my Take 5 just about a year now and the only thing that REALLY steams my beans is the fact the sequencer CANNOT OUTPUT MIDI!!!!  Is this an oversight or just some cruel joke?

Excuse me if my rant was out of line and repetitious but I was not about to read the whole 8 pages of this thread,

Gary

works for me.
from the manual..

MIDI Note Output from the Arpeggiator

The Arpeggiator outputs MIDI note messages. Any notes that you hold
on the keyboard will be arpeggiated according to the current settings of
the Arpeggiator and output over MIDI as MIDI notes. You can use this
feature to drive other MIDI-equipped devices such as synthesizers and
drum machines. To access this feature, use the midi arp notes setting in
the global menu.
To enable MIDI Note output from the Arpeggiator:
1. Press the global button, then use the select knob to locate the midi
arp notes parameter.
2. Use the value knob to select on.
To control an external MIDI device:
1. Connect the MIDI or USB output of the Take 5 to the MIDI or USB
input of the external device, depending on which type of connection
the external device requires.
2. On the Take 5, press the global button, then use the select knob to
locate the midi cable out parameter.
3. Use the value knob to select midi, usb, or all, depending on how your
Take 5 and external device are connected.
4. Press the global button again to exit the Global menu.
5. On the external device, set the the MIDI Channel and MIDI Receive
port to match the Take 5.
6. Hold down a chord on the Take 5 or start Sequencer playback. The
external device should be triggered by the arpeggiated or sequenced

« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2023, 05:14:11 AM »
After working for a few days with the Take 5, I have a few suggestions for future firmware improvements:

- Blink the LFO shape LED with the corresponding LFO frequency, so it's easier to see the actual frequency
- When holding the "bank" button to change banks, the currently selected bank number 1-16 button should light up, so it's easier to see which bank we're currently in. This is especially important with the new extended banks that use letters
- To configure a default program to load after start-up the current shortcut it to press "global" once after a preset is loaded but this leads to unexpected activations of various presets because many people might press global for what it is: to open the global menu. This should be changed to require pressing "global" three times, as on other Sequential synths.

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2023, 08:11:06 AM »

Gary

works for me.
from the manual..

the global menu.
arp notes parameter.

Like I said, THE SEQUENCER, NOT The Arpeggiator doesn't output MIDI to my DAW.

« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2023, 03:07:16 PM »

Using the latest firmware version .22 I can capture sequencer output in Logic Pro by enabling MIDI Arp Notes in the global settings. It would be more clear if the setting was named "MIDI Arp/Seq Notes" but it works for me -- what you missed in the quoted documentation was the following (emphasis mine):

« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »
I don't run beta firmware.

When Sequential has a release version, THEN tell me there's a fix.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:23:26 PM by happyrat1 »

« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2023, 03:51:44 PM »

Have you tried it? This was already in the manual so the feature must have already been baked into the release firmware, not added by the betas. Why not check and see for yourself?

« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2023, 05:53:16 PM »

Have you tried it? This was already in the manual so the feature must have already been baked into the release firmware, not added by the betas. Why not check and see for yourself?

I see nothing on Sequential's Take 5 download page yet.

Until they are confident enough in the firmware I'm certainly not going thru weekly bug updates with a beta.

Fix one thing and break three others...

Gary ;)

« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2023, 05:57:57 PM »

Gary

works for me.
from the manual..

the global menu.
arp notes parameter.

Oh dear - are you ok, fella?

Read what I posted - works with the Arp  and the sequencer and does not require beta software.

Would it help if I typed it out in uppercase?

« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2023, 08:17:40 AM »

I see nothing on Sequential's Take 5 download page yet.

Until they are confident enough in the firmware I'm certainly not going thru weekly bug updates with a beta.

Fix one thing and break three others...

Gary ;)

Sorry, I meant the feature, not the beta.
Totally respect the idea of waiting until an official release.

« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2023, 09:23:01 AM »

The beta releases are the most stable, feature rich versions of OS for Seq instruments.  As long as it has been out 1-2 weeks, you're safe... ie:  it can be treated like an official release version.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »
Swing settings for the arpeggiator and sequencer would be nice. I used to have a Prophet 08 and the way it was implemented on that synth worked pretty nicely