Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2022, 09:53:29 PM »
the volume pot sending CC7 even parameter send is off is bugging me a lot, have now put a hardware midi filter box behind it to prevent connected synths to go silent, when I don't want to hear T5 (same with PRO 3)

I just noticed this, this a HUGE problem.

One of my Pro 3s is turning down the other one. (What's this Cc7 thingy?)

This took me a couple of hours to find.
Boo. Not cool.  :/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:55:02 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2022, 10:01:45 PM »
This is what I was working on...

Attached File:  123k mp3 version.
The wav file is 3.7 megs.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:08:18 PM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2022, 01:32:24 PM »
After about 6-months of regular use, what I would really like to see (hope these are all reasonable!) :

1. An option for on screen parameter values. Values only would be fine if that's what's possible, but parameter names for the effects section would be helpful to me.

2. A program setting for LFO 2 to be mono / global. Poly LFO's can often feel to busy.

3. One-shot LFO setting.

4. A way to smooth / slew the sample and hold setting of the LFO's. Either a program setting that can slew all shapes, or one that swaps between a smooth or choppy sample and hold.

5. Envelope Looping.

Cheers all, Take 5 is a great keyboard and I look forward to any future updates.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2022, 09:30:36 PM »
the volume pot sending CC7 even parameter send is off is bugging me a lot, have now put a hardware midi filter box behind it to prevent connected synths to go silent, when I don't want to hear T5 (same with PRO 3)

I just noticed this, this a HUGE problem.

One of my Pro 3s is turning down the other one. (What's this Cc7 thingy?)

This took me a couple of hours to find.
Boo. Not cool.  :/

And of course, that was incorrect global settings on my part, at least for the setup I'm trying. (I can turn MIDI Param Receive [and Control Enable?] off for the other synth.)

Here's a (partially related?) pretty good write-up of the difference between CC and NRPN I found while re-configuring my setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/6w8j6v/nrpns/dm6k5fm/

And, just for fun, here's v4 (3b, haha) of the "what I was working on" above.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:45:25 PM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2022, 10:55:33 PM »
Cheers all, Take 5 is a great keyboard and I look forward to any future updates.

Hey Jorb!  - Welcome.

I've seen a few of your vids. Decent stuff.

Question on the above. -  ...Than why is your last Take 5 video a "first impressions" video from 7 months ago?
...Just prompting you.  :D
(I'm a Pro3 owner/fan. But would love to hear more from the Take 5.)

Cheers

« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2022, 02:21:15 PM »
...Than why is your last Take 5 video a "first impressions" video from 7 months ago?
...Just prompting you.

Well, I recreated the prophet 5 patches on Feb 8th : https://youtu.be/6Al-sB6-smw

The full take 5 review went up today, 50 minutes long. Just because you asked, of course ;)

https://youtu.be/qt9dnvXx73o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 02:27:54 PM by Jorb »

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2022, 11:06:45 AM »
Hi guys! Having issues with the pitch and mod wheels of my Take 5. Quite often they start changing values on their own, especially the pitch gets changed usually with a whole note. I did clear the calibration and then reset all back again, the mod wheel seems to be fixed after that, but the pitch wheel keeps changing the tone. This needs to be taken care of.

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2022, 02:07:31 AM »

I'm a Pro3 owner/fan. But would love to hear more from the Take 5.

Hey, if this interests you, this is a track I made with only the Take 5 for all layers, everything you hear it the T5, aside from percussion.

https://soundcloud.com/apendica/escaping-belial

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2022, 12:57:27 PM »
Any idea when we're getting a new firmware? It's been almost a year since release and since this thread started. What is taking so long?

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2022, 05:41:25 AM »
Any idea when we're getting a new firmware? It's been almost a year since release and since this thread started. What is taking so long?

Maybe Take 5 will be abandoned like AS-1 once was.
Still two great synthesizers as they are but both deserve better.
Checking here every week and still hoping for an expanded patch memory :(

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2022, 05:57:02 PM »

Maybe Take 5 will be abandoned like AS-1 once was.
Still two great synthesizers as they are but both deserve better.
Checking here every week and still hoping for an expanded patch memory :(

It has been confirmed on Gearspace that the update is currently being worked on  :)

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
Hi, I've been having a great time with the Take 5. So many beautiful and fun sounds. Here are a few features I'd be keen to see:

• On screen parameter values + initial preset value (the led dot is sometimes hard to find).
  • Extra envelope routing option: Env 1 = Aux and Env 2 = Amp.
  • Envelope looping.
  • Less subtle filter drive? Maybe I'm missing something, but it is hard to notice a difference sometimes. However, I have started to notice that it does give very fine control of the filter when it is modulated with audio/filter out. Unsure of what's best here.

Looking forward to the update!

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2022, 08:47:38 AM »
Less subtle filter drive? Maybe I'm missing something, but it is hard to notice a difference sometimes. However, I have started to notice that it does give very fine control of the filter when it is modulated with audio/filter out. Unsure of what's best here.

A positive of the filter drive is that it smooths out high resonance levels on the filter which can be useful when you want the grittiness of it but not the sharp self-oscillating peak. 

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2022, 01:42:58 AM »
  • Less subtle filter drive? Maybe I'm missing something, but it is hard to notice a difference sometimes. However, I have started to notice that it does give very fine control of the filter when it is modulated with audio/filter out. Unsure of what's best here.
Can you elaborate on how this fine filter drive modulation control works? I agree it's very subtle as basic drive, but it does generally compress resonance, which can be useful, I guess.

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2022, 01:27:06 AM »
Can you elaborate on how this fine filter drive modulation control works? I agree it's very subtle as basic drive, but it does generally compress resonance, which can be useful, I guess.

Basically, I noticed that drive reduced the warbliness(?)/distortion when the filter was modulated by audio out with resonance at max. I'm thinking that relates to what you mentioned about resonance compression?

As an example, with an init patch, modulate cutoff by audio out by 127, set cutoff to about 11 o'clock, resonance max, drive minimum. Play and hold, say, C major. Reduce the cutoff until you get a weird warbly effect and then increase the drive to tame the craziness. Hopefully that makes sense? Point is – drive seems to be very useful for carefully taming those kinds of wild high resonance sounds, but on its own is very subtle. I guess I'm torn about whether I want a change or not :)

kpatz

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2022, 06:51:24 AM »
After watching/reading OB-X8 reviews, a nice addition to the Take 5 would be to make some of the more commonly used Program Menu parameters directly accessible with a button+knob combo (like we have for Unison Voices now).

For example, hold Program+turn Drive to adjust filter keytracking.  If they also add the oft-requested display of parameters while editing them, the screen could show what you're editing when you hold Program (or whatever button they assign as the shift function) while turning a knob.

Essentially this would work similar to the "page 2" functions on the OB-8/OB-X8.

Another enhancement that would be nice:  hold an Envelope Velocity button while turning Amount to set the amount of velocity response.

« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2022, 07:57:13 AM »

Basically, I noticed that drive reduced the warbliness(?)/distortion when the filter was modulated by audio out with resonance at max. I'm thinking that relates to what you mentioned about resonance compression?

As an example, with an init patch, modulate cutoff by audio out by 127, set cutoff to about 11 o'clock, resonance max, drive minimum. Play and hold, say, C major. Reduce the cutoff until you get a weird warbly effect and then increase the drive to tame the craziness. Hopefully that makes sense? Point is – drive seems to be very useful for carefully taming those kinds of wild high resonance sounds, but on its own is very subtle. I guess I'm torn about whether I want a change or not :)
Ah yes, I see. Also, is it an analog control, can it even be updated by firmware?

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2022, 05:53:39 AM »
Do we have a rough timeframe/expected feature set for the update? It’s been a year since launch now and I’m still wanting for a one shot/non-looping LFO mode and some minor bug fixes.

« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »
One other request—would love to have the chorus, flanger, and Oberheim-style phaser from the Prophet 6. Those all sound much nicer than the ones currently loaded on the T5 (especially the OB phaser).

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2022, 12:10:40 AM »
To be honest, i stopped thinking about any new features and updates...

I own the Take5 since the first day it was available, i like the machine and i play often with it but after nearly one year, no single update, that means for me that Sequential has no interest in any new updates or features...

That's why i use it how it is till the date i'm selling it. And it looks to me that this date is coming soon...  :(

Frank