Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests

Re: Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2022, 12:29:30 PM »
Yep, visual clues when setting LFO1, LFO2, Delay Time would be a luxury.

Edit sequencer steps. And,  some swing man, I love that swing.

FX panning, or stereo FX.

The Mod source "Random", appears to change on each key press and it is great, but I'd like to get random linked to midi clock, or even just random changes,  random randoms, if you will.

I'd love to hear some news about when an update can be expected, I have noticed a couple of sync issues.

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2022, 09:23:14 PM »
More visual cues would be great.

Regarding Randomness Linked to Clock:  set LFO(s) to S&H and Clock Sync on for randomized, clock sync changes to your destination of choice.  (or Clock sync off for randomness at different rates)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2022, 07:02:19 AM »
More visual cues would be great.

Regarding Randomness Linked to Clock:  set LFO(s) to S&H and Clock Sync on for randomized, clock sync changes to your destination of choice.  (or Clock sync off for randomness at different rates)

Ah, yes of course, I understand that, but thanks.. . there is however a Mod Source called Random, which changes on every key press. It is this Mod Source that I want to assign for clocked duties.

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2022, 11:15:47 PM »
You can also set "Key Sync / Reset" on the LFOs in addition to Clock Sync and S&H.   Press PROGRAM, then navigate to #13/14 and set LFO Reset to ON.  This will make sure that each new key strike retriggers the start of LFO phase (a new random value generated from the LFO per key strike)... and then the LFO will continue to generate new random values at the clock BPM.   

The LFOs have the same Mod Destinations as the Matrix, directly assignable.  Or you can also multiplex them with other sources in the matrix... ie: If you have a modulation of LFO 1 > Osc Freq, but 0 value... then in another mod slot you can route a different source like velocity, an envelope, or a random key generator that gets routed to the previous Mod Slot's Amount.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2022, 03:22:55 PM »

The LFOs have the same Mod Destinations as the Matrix, directly assignable.  Or you can also multiplex them with other sources in the matrix... ie: If you have a modulation of LFO 1 > Osc Freq, but 0 value... then in another mod slot you can route a different source like velocity, an envelope, or a random key generator that gets routed to the previous Mod Slot's Amount.

I've been having lots of fun using mods to adjust other mods.

This is a fav..
I set Mod 4 to Voice Spread - Pan, and the add another Mod 5 to LFO  - "Mod 4 Amount".

That gives the panning effect a bit more movement. as the amount of Voice Spread - Pan changes up and down.

Such a cool synth!

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2022, 02:37:44 AM »
It would be great if the envelopes retriggered while using the sustain pedal. On the OB-6 and Prophet 6 you can activate this via Key Mode, and it works like a charm.

I agree to this. With the current setup, you need very perfect timing to be able to play and use the sustain pedal as a "help" to hold chord notes during chord/finger changes, as I do on a piano. It is likely easier to whack up the release and play legato than to have new chord notes being inaudible because the envelopes didn't retrigger.

The voice stealing when _not_ using sustain pedal is much more natural to use.

j-18m

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2022, 06:06:13 AM »
+1 for the sustain pedal retriggering option!

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2022, 11:35:28 PM »
I have a lot of ideas for new features in an update but I think the Take5 will get only bug fixes updates.

The Take5 is just an easy entry level synth for new Sequential customers, it won't get a lot of new features I guess.

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2022, 02:12:43 PM »
The Take5 is just an easy entry level synth for new Sequential customers, it won't get a lot of new features I guess.

It is an easy synth, but you can get well above entry-level-sound design with it. And I think, that getting new customers for sequential is not only through price and or ease of use (of the T5). Nothing better then to show your new customers how a product is maintained and updated at Sequential - maybe they'll upgrade one day to an OB6 or P5/6/10?

They are already known for a very good customer support, why should they leave out feature updates for this new customer group? I bought exactly two products because of the love a company has shown for constant features updates for a specific product. The Akai MPC-One is one of them and the other one is the Line6 Helix. In addition to a satisfied customer you get a ton of promotion on every major network for every update. You will not miss out those "Take 5 - Version X - check out this new features" - Videos on Youtube. And you really don't want a video that is telling you "Yeah, nothing new, they fixed a few bugs" - that would be questionable marketing.

I am pretty sure, we get new features. And I am pretty sure, this thread will be read.

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2022, 04:43:16 AM »
It has been five months now and there hasn't been any bugfix update so far ... Let's see how good the support is/will be in the future.

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2022, 04:32:39 AM »
Yes that surprises me but also compared to Rev2 (when it was relased) there are not that many critical bugs in Take 5, more requests. Rev2 took some months and a number of updates to make it usuable.

I can only hope this long time will give us a big update with for example more patch banks.
If not then I honestly will be quite disappointed.
Still, Take 5 is a wonderful synthesizer. With an update it could be one of the best ever made (in its price range).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 04:34:30 AM by synthboy »

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2022, 05:01:42 PM »
Take 5 desktop and poly chain.
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »
Since the overdrive is digital, I think additional algorithms should be optional through the menu settings. I think it would be really great if Sequential developed/included a tape emulation and a lo-fi bit/sample-rate reducer algorithm.

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
Since the overdrive is digital, I think additional algorithms should be optional through the menu settings. I think it would be really great if Sequential developed/included a tape emulation and a lo-fi bit/sample-rate reducer algorithm.

+1 for that!

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2022, 04:12:14 AM »

+1 for that!

and generally it could sound a little better.. it gets easily quite harsh

« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2022, 06:39:13 AM »
Please add a 'Global Settings Pedal Function' option for volume (just like there is for LPF).  A further option to defeat global expression pedal control of volume and/or LPF in the Program Settings would be useful i.e. where expression control of some other preset specific parameter is required.

As far as I can tell, the only way to use a CC pedal to control volume is to program this for each patch. This means setting the foot pedal control as a modulation source for as many modulation slots as necessary to control levels e.g.
(i). creating a single mod slot with destination assigned to ENV 2 Amount (this may not be suitable if the filter or other parameters are also using ENV 2), OR
(ii). creating multiple individual mod slots to control levels for Osc 1, Osc 2, Sub, & Noise.

I assume a design decision was taken to provide a global setting option for expression pedal control of LPF but not volume. I have found using an expression pedal for LPF is an inspirational experience on the Take 5, and really pleased it can be easily selected at global level.  However, IMHO easy access to expression pedal volume is a must, especially in a synth promoted for live use. If it was a toss up between LPF or volume as the only global option, I'd go for volume, but the ability to select either LPF or volume at global level and then defeat it at program level  would be a huge benefit. If I have missed something, whatever that is needs to be more obvious. Its a great synth and deserves a firmware upgrade to address this issue (also, some recommendations in the manual for expression pedal specs/models would also be useful - some work better than others).   

Peace, love & low pass filters.

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2022, 06:48:37 AM »
The Take-5 is by far my favorite synth. It is hands down the best synth I have ever played or heard. It could be so much more powerful if it had a 3rd envelope for modulation (preferably looping), one shot lfos, a more subtle/musical overdrive that doesnt get blown out as soon as it's audible, and slightly better fm which is decoupled from the osc2 volume knob for more control over waveshaping. There's nothing to replace it with, it is the best synth around. So I can only hope that there is a firmware update that addresses at least a couple of these issues.

I would definitely pay $2000 or so for a Take-5 with 8 voices, a second svf filter, a 3rd osc, 3rd looping envelope, desktop (keyless) module with maybe a couple more lfos and the graphic visualizations that the pro3 uses, for preset design.
Slightly more usable fm would be ideal, but i do love it already. I just think it could potentially be better if we had more flexible control over it. fm is by far the most exciting aspect of this synth, pairing it with osc sync is the coolest thing ive ever experienced on an analog poly, especially one that sounds this incredible. I just think it's not very far off from the absolute perfect dream synth. it wouldn't take much.

maybe once more people start giving it the attention it deserves, we can get either a new desktop version with a few more features and improved synthesis options, or at least a nice little firmware update. I am crossing my fingers for either to become a reality sometime in the near future
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 06:51:40 AM by Encephalitislethargi »

kpatz

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2022, 04:21:52 PM »
This is a carryover from the "attack stage contour" thread... I would like to see in a firmware update some alternate envelope curves, or a way to adjust the curves, perhaps as a sweep from logarithmic through linear to exponential.  Presently the attack curve is "highly logarithmic" so it rises fast and then slows down to almost nothing before reaching the decay.  If I want a slow attack pad it seems to flatten out and then take an eternity to reach the decay. 

I know a logarithmic curve emulates analog envelopes, but no analog (or digital) envelope on any other synth I've used has a curve like this.

The OB-6 has a more linear, but still analog feeling log curve.  I'd love that curve on the Take 5.

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »
First time posting, absolutely love the T5 but agree with a lot of these suggested updates.

Is it just me, or does the distortion in the FX section seem to come after the program volume? I notice that when I turn down the program volume after getting the distortion level where I like it, it changes the whole character of the drive, which is unlike how it works on the Prophet 6. It's a shame because I feel that the FX distortion has more of that wooly feeling that I love about the P6's distortion. I agree with the comment above about adding different algorithms for the overdrive, would be nice to have options and not have to sacrifice FX just for a drive effect.

I feel the same way about the HPF, and wonder if that could be an option for the overdrive knob as well? There have been some times playing live when I wish I had a quick way to manage the low end (again, without sacrificing an effect).

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
i would like to have the options to turn off sound when changing patches.

In a live setting, it can be a bit bothersome to hear the sound transform into the new patch you're selecting for the part you're about to play, if it has a long release it can outright be disastrous sounding.