Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests

Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests
« on: August 24, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »
Post Your Firmware Update / Feature Requests here.
Only firmware related feature requests.

1. Allow for more User Patches.  128 is very low for today's day and age.   Hoping this is not really a memory limitation, as the hardware cost would be pennies for a few hundred kb more patch space.   If at all possible, please make a way to switch to alternate banks of patches (even if it requires a menu dive to get to U2,U3,U4) and give us 512 or so user slots. 

2. Add Per-Key Voice Allocation option in Globals (or even better, per patch), along with the default Round Robin.   Since the core sound architecture is very similar to P5, this would be a great addition to dial in more classic/vintage Prophet 5 character.   It seems the fw algorithms have already been designed for r4..  If they can be ported over to Take 5, it would be awesome.   It really makes sense for a five voice synth like this, and its especially pertinent / pronounced once you start introducing vintage knob voice offsets.   This would be really great for expanding upon the character options for this synth. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Re: Take 5 Firmware Update - Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
I’m duplicating this here as it’s probably more of a request as I don’t think it’s currently a feature:

Hey Carson and Pym, one thing that I was wondering about, if low split is enabled does that have any effect upon the voice stealing behaviour?

I was thinking that it would be cool if engaging low split inhibited the synth from stealing any held note in the lower portion. I imagine the most common use for low split would be single bass notes with 4-note chords in the upper section so it would be nice if a held bass note were given some priority in voice allocation when changing chords in the upper section.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 05:06:37 PM »
When clock syncing a delay or LFO, it would be nice to see the time division on the screen as you twist the knob.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:21:29 PM by Josh.e.peters@gmail.comm »

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »
+1   Yeah, it would be great to see the OLED screen used for more value/parameter feedback. 

After being acclimated to all the other Sequential instruments with these screens, I had just assumed the T5 would have the same sort of UI functionality... definitely seems like a bit of a missed opportunity currently.   Having feedback on exact values of knob turns is very valuable to doing more complex sound designs.. and also for editing existing patches with a point of comparison.   

Hoping this will come in a future OS updates, as it will increase usability and speed up the sound design process. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
For me, more presets and some more functionality on the sequencer would be nice.  Another small thing and, it may likely be just me, but it’d be great to temporarily see the values on the screen of the knobs you are turning. 

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »
For me, more presets and some more functionality on the sequencer would be nice.  Another small thing and, it may likely be just me, but it’d be great to temporarily see the values on the screen of the knobs you are turning.
Prologue has a nice touch on values of knobs - it also shows arrows and a star when at the stored value of the preset. So you can dial in on panel what the stored preset has when continue on one intermediate save you did.

Yes, minimum would be to make factory presets overwritable too, to make 256 presets overall.
My former KingKorg had a setting to remove protect of factory presets, and Prologue had it by default overwritable.

You cannot start fiddling with sysex stuff and various library manager so soon as at 128.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 01:43:48 AM »
If factory presets are bound to be overwritten by firmware updates, I would take that, if I can just sysex dump that before update, and then sysex restore.

Those extra 128 slots are really worth it.

Or if there would be a swap feature - 128 factory and 128 user preset memory - and use the ordinary sysex features.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
10 voice paraphonic mode. Bypassing the multiple filters and allowing for some nice string machine style sounds.

Moho

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 02:51:16 AM »
When clock syncing a delay or LFO, it would be nice to see the time division on the screen as you twist the knob.

+1

xoxo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 04:20:54 AM »
Of course all the above....
Far from the synth aspects I wish more functionality for the footswitch:
Transposing a sequence in combination with the rec button is ergonomically a bit difficult and sometimes leads to overwrite the existing sequence (if I hit the c key twice) and putting a chord in the unison mode while holding the unison button leads to very funny body gestures. It would really be great to have those functions on a foot pedal.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:34:11 AM »
Transposing a sequence in combination with the rec button is ergonomically a bit difficult and sometimes leads to overwrite the existing sequence (if I hit the c key twice) and putting a chord in the unison mode while holding the unison button leads to very funny body gestures. It would really be great to have those functions on a foot pedal.

Unfortunately the sequencer transpose issue has been a problem since the P6. Only recently did they implement the ability to transpose the sequence on the P6 and OB6 although only if the patch is in Unison/Mono mode.

The REV2 and Prophet X are still, annoyingly stuck with having the hold the record button while transposing the sequence. There is likely no interest in changing this sadly. It would help immensely, especially on the Prophet X and REV 2 in split mode to be able to transpose the sequence with the left hand while you also play a different layer with your right hand.

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 07:45:26 AM »

Unfortunately the sequencer transpose issue has been a problem since the P6. Only recently did they implement the ability to transpose the sequence on the P6 and OB6 although only if the patch is in Unison/Mono mode.

The REV2 and Prophet X are still, annoyingly stuck with having the hold the record button while transposing the sequence. There is likely no interest in changing this sadly. It would help immensely, especially on the Prophet X and REV 2 in split mode to be able to transpose the sequence with the left hand while you also play a different layer with your right hand.

Subtraction of one man's annoyance usually results in addition of another man's.  For example I sometimes record a sequence on the P6/OB6, and dump it into Cubase after I like the result.  Well without transpose being limited to holding Record, this means that for Unison/Mono patches I have to turn Unison off to prevent the DAW from transposing the sequence with each sequenced note that's played (since local on has to be enabled).  So yeah all of a sudden pitch goes ballistic. 

Its a small inconvenience but it does disrupt my workflow, and every little nuance like that means I have to put musical ideas in my mind on hold to deal with non-musical technical hurdles.  But I'd rather deal with impact to my own preferences than request yet another feature (i.e. while holding Preset and tapping out morse code on the program buttons and using the elbow to hold down the velocity button, peck at the saw wave switch with nose to disable transpose sequence... etc)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »

Subtraction of one man's annoyance usually results in addition of another man's.  For example I sometimes record a sequence on the P6/OB6, and dump it into Cubase after I like the result.  Well without transpose being limited to holding Record, this means that for Unison/Mono patches I have to turn Unison off to prevent the DAW from transposing the sequence with each sequenced note that's played (since local on has to be enabled).  So yeah all of a sudden pitch goes ballistic. 

Its a small inconvenience but it does disrupt my workflow, and every little nuance like that means I have to put musical ideas in my mind on hold to deal with non-musical technical hurdles.  But I'd rather deal with impact to my own preferences than request yet another feature (i.e. while holding Preset and tapping out morse code on the program buttons and using the elbow to hold down the velocity button, peck at the saw wave switch with nose to disable transpose sequence... etc)

Except your work style and work flow means absolutely nothing to my work style and work flow.

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 03:29:26 PM »

Except your work style and work flow means absolutely nothing to my work style and work flow.

Exactly, that's what I meant...  A feature that's desirable to one person might be taking away from someone else, and vice versa... different people have different needs.  So from the synth designer perspective, how to figure out which are the "right" features to add?  (Assuming "right" means that which positively impacts more people than it negatively impacts)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

xoxo

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Exactly, that's what I meant...  A feature that's desirable to one person might be taking away from someone else, and vice versa... different people have different needs.  So from the synth designer perspective, how to figure out which are the "right" features to add?  (Assuming "right" means that which positively impacts more people than it negatively impacts)

wouldnt the feature I originally requested (the ability to make the choice with the foot pedal) satisfy both sides?

xoxo

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »
Bug fix request
Even if MIDI Param Send is set to Off, the volume pot keeps sending cc messages.

So if you turn down the volume of the T5 to use the keys with a module, also the volume of the module is turned down...

Moho

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 02:49:13 AM »
Bug fix request
Even if MIDI Param Send is set to Off, the volume pot keeps sending cc messages.

So if you turn down the volume of the T5 to use the keys with a module, also the volume of the module is turned down...

+1 Really annoying

LPF83

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 04:29:37 AM »
wouldnt the feature I originally requested (the ability to make the choice with the foot pedal) satisfy both sides?

Perhaps, it's not really for me to say though.  From someone with several Sequential synths, whenever the user interface for doing things for multiple products varies from product to product (use the pedal on this synth, hold record on another, hit a key on another) that in itself is not a workflow advantage.  And, if all of their products utilized pedal for this, it means in my set up I would need four pedals all side by side under my feet (since I have four synths stacked on top of each other), and that's not something I would look forward to either.

xoxo

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 05:32:00 AM »

Perhaps, it's not really for me to say though.  From someone with several Sequential synths, whenever the user interface for doing things for multiple products varies from product to product (use the pedal on this synth, hold record on another, hit a key on another) that in itself is not a workflow advantage.  And, if all of their products utilized pedal for this, it means in my set up I would need four pedals all side by side under my feet (since I have four synths stacked on top of each other), and that's not something I would look forward to either.

i am talking about an option you could select if you want. like you already can start the arp with the foot switch - i don't even know if it would be possible to implement it on pure analog models - but on the T5 it should be easy. but maybe its already too much talk about this little request. its just wishful thinking from my side and the thread has the subject "Feature requests".

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
I watched BoBeats demo again and how he used Aux on Env 1.
So looked for ability to loop the envelope, to use as an extra LFO kind of unusual shape.
I use that on DeepMind and it is every useful with loop as trigger mode of envelope.

Or Sequential call it something else than loop, repeat etc that I looked for in manual.

And looking at REV2 and Prophet 8 some years ago, I really liked gated sequencer and thought if lacking that to use the step sequencer as source in a similar fashion, not sure if that is doable already?
- so while not in playback of notes, to have a control sequencer that is running with some division of tempo

Selfgenerating patches are cool creating surprises in between ...

check out a lesson on self generative on DeepMind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_p5JBAWUTs

this with just 8 slots and thinking T5 16 could extend this interestingly...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:23:50 AM by Autosynther »