Hommage to the Poly Evolver keyboard

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Hommage to the Poly Evolver keyboard
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:48:05 PM »
Alamo Music Audio Lab's Zach just posted a really nice video about his personal experiences with the PEK.

https://youtu.be/iltGzIvTOmk
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Re: Hommage to the Poly Evolver keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
Alamo Music Audio Lab's Zach just posted a really nice video about his personal experiences with the PEK.

https://youtu.be/iltGzIvTOmk
That video is the main reason i have purchased my third DSI (NOS). Poly Evolver is very impressive. I'm in mixed feelings now. Before it was clear: my favourite synth was a Rev2 16, then Pro-3 and then again they turn around. Now, when i realised how huge can sound Poly... i am shell-shocked. Its Bells factory preset just killed me, every time. Sure, there is something similar in both others Sequentials. But it is DIFFERENT>

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
Gerry, you're killing me with this video.  Ugh....  :(

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »
Gerry, you're killing me with this video.  Ugh....  :(
Ha ha, yes he could have chosen some better demonstration patches.

I do get his sincerity and I found the video rather endearing. If I wouldn't already have my MEK and Desktop combo, his story definitely peaked my interest. After all the video cannot be interpreted as a sales demo, getting hold of second hand MEKs and PEKs is near impossible. Though I do see occasionally a desktop appear on sites in the Netherlands.

Those stereo capabilities of the Evolver are quite something. Even on the Prophet X almost all my patches modulate one way or the other the left and right filter cutoff independently.

If Sequential would ever bring out a next "evolved" Evolver, I would not hesitate to buy one...... One can dream, perhaps for my birthday soon  :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
No, I meant I'm trying to break up with my Poly Evolver Keyboard.  I haven't spoken to her for about a week.  She's starting to get suspicious, and is trying to get my attention each time I pass, looking the other way.  I'm afraid I'm going to break down and make up with her.   There's just nothing like an Evolver....:'(

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
No, I meant I'm trying to break up with my Poly Evolver Keyboard.  I haven't spoken to her for about a week.  She's starting to get suspicious, and is trying to get my attention each time I pass, looking the other way.  I'm afraid I'm going to break down and make up with her.   There's just nothing like an Evolver....:'(
Yeah I'm with you on this. I have regrets I didn't get the rack, but am also glad as I would be worried that something will break and the money is wasted ..... Choices and decisions. Just treat her with the respect she deserves and who knows perhaps Dave and his team are working on her next generation offspring ....

For the stereo and binaural functionality, perhaps the Udo Super 6 is a worthy candidate ......

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »
I'm decided on the Novation Summit.  It's either the Poly Evolver or the Summit.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
I still watch the prices of Evolvers, and if there is one instrument that holds its value and then some, it's this one.  The average price for a Poly Evolver Keyboard is generally $3,200-$3,600, and they go up as high as $4,600.  And if you note the way "Evolverists" consistently refer to it, clearly it continues to be an extremely tantalizing instrument. 

Once upon a time, I had seriously considered an all-Evolver set up: three Poly Evolver Keyboards, two Poly Evolver Racks, and two Evolver Desktop (for bass pedals).  I would have been perfectly happy with that arrangement for good. 

In spite of all our concerns about parts and maintenance, I would still like to add more Evolver to my music room.  Such a magnificent synthesizer, after all these years.

I'm still amazed that Sequential has not revisited this instrument and re-issued it in one form or another.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:35:21 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 01:16:57 PM »
This might be, actually is very much, sacrilege but .......

Now I have a few years of experience with Eurorack I can let go of my wish to obtain a Poly Evolver keyboard or rack.

There is simply nothing that compares with the freedom to design one's own voice, filter and modulation setup. Though Eurorack modules are quite pricey, starting slowly and figuring out what works and doesn't work helps with the cash flow. By now, in the last 4 years, I spent more cash on Eurorack modules then I would have if I had bought a second hand Poly Evolver rack  :)

Still, I won't be selling my mono Evolver keyboard and Evolver desktop combination, they have nothing to worry about. I managed to get the pots and board upgrade for the mono Evolver keyboard, so I do hope she will be fine for the years to come.

chysn

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 06:38:31 PM »
At some point, maybe 2016, I made a ModularGrid rack that duplicated (tried to duplicate) the functionality of a mono Evolver desktop. Unfortunately I deleted that rack some time ago, but it was a real monster.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 06:40:49 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »
At some point, maybe 2016, I made a ModularGrid rack that duplicated (tried to duplicate) the functionality of a mono Evolver desktop. Unfortunately I deleted that rack some time ago, but it was a real monster.
Ah nice!

Do you remember what modules you used? I will be at Superbooth in a few weeks, great opportunity to talk about this with some Eurorack makers  :)

chysn

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 02:17:56 PM »
Do you remember what modules you used? I will be at Superbooth in a few weeks, great opportunity to talk about this with some Eurorack makers  :)

I do remember that the focus was on simple Doepfer modules for EGs, LFOs, and the two analog oscillators (A-110-2). I don't remember what was available for wavetables at the time, but that's one area that's improved dramatically since 2016. I'm sure I had a pair of DSM-1s for stereo Curtis filters and a DSM-3 for tuned feedback. I don't remember what I threw in there for sequencers.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his