TS to TRS quesiton

TS to TRS quesiton
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »
Hello all!
First post, and first Dave Smith Instrument! I recently have gotten a prophet 08 module. This is a two fold question.

1) Does everyone run both the left and right out of the main output vs a mono approach with one cable out of the left?
2) I'm attempting to run two TS cables out of the Main Output with the other end of the cable being a TRS jack (trying to sum up some inputs on my interface if possible). With only one cable connected on the output I get sound, yet when both left and right are plugged in I get nothing. I just bought the cable and have tested it on other gear and it works, although I am not sure if a ground loop could be causing the mute. Any suggestions?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: TS to TRS quesiton
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
I always use, at the very least, both left and right outputs.  For your second question, make sure you're not mistakenly using the Output B jacks.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:23:52 AM »
I just made sure. I am going only on Output A out.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
Well, the obvious thing is to try two cables with TRS jacks on both ends, just to make sure the issue is with the cables, and not the instrument's outputs.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:22:23 AM »
Moinmoin,

maybe I do not quite understand the question, but the P'08 does not automatically switch to mono, if only the left output is used. You will have to select "mono" explicitly in the global menu.

That said, it is perfectly possible to use a typical "insert cable" (1 stereo TRS into 2 mono TS plugs) on each of the P'08 output pairs. Both TS plugs in output A results in stereo signal at TRS plug. Of course You can use two insert cables and treat outputs A and B alike. This may be worth while, if Your mixer / amp has TRS stereo inputs.

I do not know, what P'08 does, if You set it to mono (in global menu) and use one output of A and one of B. I suppose You will get 4 mono-voices split in A and the other 4 mono in B. Just try it, You cannot do any harm.

The only thing not working is using output B alone (OK, it does work, but will ignore the 4 voices present at output A ...)

Martin

BTW.: I do not use these kind of "Y"-cables, as I try to care for signal ground as strictly as possible:
I use "microphone type" (2 wires plus screen) cable, connected screen = S / wire1 = T / wire 2 = R on the TRS-side and screen = notconnected / wire 1 = T / wire 2 = S on the TS-side. Four of these cables go into outputs A and B at the P'08 (the TS end), the TRS-ends will plug into my mixer's symmetrical inputs