European Flight case for P6

European Flight case for P6
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
Looks like I'll be shipping some of my gear from Berlin to California. I'm not yet sure how I'll get everything moved... possibly hiring a shipping container run by a company who specializes in touring. They'd obviously be sympathetic to moving such gear. They asked if I had cases for my gear and I said, no, not for most. It always lived in my studio in Berlin. They said, no problem, they could help with packing. I do have some original boxes, like for the Prophet 6. If I go with the shipping container option, maybe everything is packed by the company securely and I needn't be too concerned etc.

If, on the other hand, I end up flying a few items back home and selling the rest in Berlin, I'll need a flight case for the P6. Thomann seems to have two main options - the Gator TSA 49 and the Thon KB Case specific to the P6.

Anyone have any thoughts on either of these, for either shipping means? I'm not likely to end up using the case often after it's in Cal. If I gig with the P6, it'd be for rare, one-offs, not for touring.

Re: European Flight case for P6
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »
I can confirm the Prophet 6 does not fit into the Gator TSA49 case, I have one, which snugly fits my Pro 2, but certainly not my Prophet 6. I  have the Thon cases for my Prophet 6 and OB-6, which fit perfectly. The construction is reasonably solid, especially for the price. They have proved sturdy enough to survive flights between the UK and Canada. Highly recommend them. Best of luck with your move and everything arriving safely.
Prophet 10 (Rev 4), OB-X8, Prophet 12,OB-6, Pro 2, Waldorf Quantum, MemoryMoog Plus

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »
I can confirm the Prophet 6 does not fit into the Gator TSA49 case, I have one, which snugly fits my Pro 2, but certainly not my Prophet 6. I  have the Thon cases for my Prophet 6 and OB-6, which fit perfectly. The construction is reasonably solid, especially for the price. They have proved sturdy enough to survive flights between the UK and Canada. Highly recommend them. Best of luck with your move and everything arriving safely.

Really appreciate this. I did get the quote from the tour/shipping company and it's a few thousand dollars well beyond my budget, so it does look like I'll probably be dragging synths into taxis and off to airports by hand!!

jok3r

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 07:09:23 AM »
I can also speak for the Thon cases from Thomann. I have such a case for basically all my instruments, because I use(d) them all for live gigging... and the cases always saved the synths from any damage that would have happened without them.

The cases fit perfectly, because they build them especially for the given keyboard model. And for good selling synth they have the cases in stock most of the time. If not, it takes them about 2-3 weeks to get a new case done.

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:55:15 AM »
I can also speak for the Thon cases from Thomann. I have such a case for basically all my instruments, because I use(d) them all for live gigging... and the cases always saved the synths from any damage that would have happened without them.

The cases fit perfectly, because they build them especially for the given keyboard model. And for good selling synth they have the cases in stock most of the time. If not, it takes them about 2-3 weeks to get a new case done.

Thanks for the confirmation. The P6 will certainly need a case - and the Thon sounds like our guy. My Pro One came to me in a Samsonite suitcase with form-cut foam inside. I flew it over to Berlin safely in that and I reckon that's how it'll fly home! Meanwhile, I'm trying to inventory all the rest of my Berlin gear, wondering what else to sell or to ship. So much stuff! My ex-wife also has most of her mate's gear in the cellar, and a guitarist friend of mine dropped loads of gear with us just before he fled Berlin. The apartment is large, and there's a cellar of course, but three musician's worth of equipment is a bit much!