Rev2 Effects

Rev2 Effects
« on: July 31, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »
I don't have the room for a bunch (well any) external effect boxes so I was wondering if the Rev2 only allowing one effect per layer is a massive limitation.  To me, it would be as it could severely limit the shaping of the sound.  I do not have much experience with synths yet so I am sure that there are tricks that could be used.  I would like to hear from those of you with much more experience.

Re: Rev2 Effects
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:40:31 PM »
I'm sure that others will chip in, but I'll give my brief view:
I've several synths and many effects units, but the Rev2 is actually (and surprisingly) one of the few instruments that I rarely send through my external effects loops... The Rev2's effects ARE limited, but they complement its extensive analogue sound-sculpting abilities nicely, and they don't (for the most part) colour the sound dramatically. With the Rev2, I often find myself starting a patch with effects in mind, but by the end of my sound design, the internal effects are either plenty sufficient or left off entirely. I find quite a lot of utility in stacking the same (or similar) patch in Layer A and B and just changing effects or envelope release times, using the two layers to form a single "supersynth".

To my ears, the reverb is the weakest link in the effects section (lacking character or flexibility), but I still find it useful for subtle reverb effects; really I see the power in the internal effects as coming from their ability to be modulated like any other part of the Rev2's sound path, allowing the simple effects to be tuned to the analogue sound nicely, and to become part of the movement in the patch.

That said, the Rev2 does sound particularly special through Source Audio Ventris reverb and Meris Polymoon...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:14:43 AM by PChamaeleoMH »
SYNTHS: VirusTi, Evolver, Subsequent37, ProphetRev2, Medusa, Typhon, DigitoneKeys, Lyra8, Pulsar23
EFFECTS: Ventris, ZOIA, TResonatorII, Thyme, Particle2, BOUM, BIM, Polymoon, RetroverbLancet
OTHERS: FirefaceUCX, WavedrumGlobal, MPC_ONE, Digitakt, Noodlebox, NDLR, 1010Bluebox, Genelec8020A/7040A

maxter

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »

To my ears, the reverb is the weakest link in the effects section (lacking character or flexibility), but I still find it useful for subtle reverb effects; really I see the power in the internal effects as coming from their ability to be modulated like any other part of the Rev2's sound path, allowing the simple effects to be tuned to the analogue sound nicely, and to become part of the movement in the patch.

That said, the Rev2 does sound particularly special through Source Audio Ventris reverb and Meris Polymoon...

I agree, the reverb isn't top notch imo, just good enough for live gig use.

The Stereo Delay is my personal favourite, it has a nice character imo, and it really adds to an already "moving" stereo image. There are plenty of ways to modulate the Pan on the Rev2, either direct Pan modulation or Pan Spread (ping-pong) modulation, independently for each voice. You could have less modulation in the lower registers, and more in the higher, for more clarity in the bass lines and more "spaciness" in right hand pad chords, for instance. With some creative pan modulation, the Stereo Delay really comes alive, adding to the stereo image and also smoothing out the "roughness" of more aggressive pan modulation, it "holds it together". When using that delay, I see no point in adding a reverb after it.

I don't know your setup, but if you use a DAW, you'll probably want to use a software reverb here and there anyhow, if so just send some of the Rev2 there whenever you want some. If not... I'd recommend a hardware reverb.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
I agree with all the above.

You mention you have limited space...  I highly recommend the TC Hall of Fame pedal.   It's got stereo I/O, compact, great sounding reverb options, and its a really good value... I've had one permanently hooked up to my Rev2 for the past couple years.   (it's small enough that with right angle cables, you could even affix it to the top right open space on the keyboard.)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
I agree with all the above.

You mention you have limited space...  I highly recommend the TC Hall of Fame pedal.   It's got stereo I/O, compact, great sounding reverb options, and its a really good value... I've had one permanently hooked up to my Rev2 for the past couple years.   (it's small enough that with right angle cables, you could even affix it to the top right open space on the keyboard.)

I can second that recommendation. 

I picked one of these up with great reluctance because of who nows owns TC.  I don't consider it a direct creation of the evil overlord himself and it's not one of his "shenanigan" products.  It is a great little reverb unit for the price, and it allows me to use the use the built-in effect of the Rev2 for other uses.  Probably some of my plug-in options sound just as good and certainly offer even better value and way more versatility, but in sound design I often find it useful to just tap a switch to engage or bypass (as  opposed to reaching for the mouse).

For plugin options the Valhalla stuff is great (some of it like Supermassive is free).   The Eventide H9 plug-ins go on sale fairly regularly for $39 each.  Izotope Nimbus and PhoenixVerb have clean, high quality reverb and let you do things like gate the reverb tail for percussion, etc.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 04:57:15 AM »
To answer your question, effects are not the best and only one by voice is limiting.
I would rather have both of them on A especially when I only have 8 voices.

This being said the difference with external effects is that you can include effect parameters in the modulation chain which I think is interesting to shape sounds.