Cant Wait!

LPF83

Cant Wait!
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
Prototype of new product from upcoming Walmart catalog.  Sixty bucks out the door and you get sixteen free cans of canned sturgeon.  Marketing worked on the demo display sign, it reads "Instrument aint premium but the fish sure as fuck is" :)  Uli's my hero.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:24:51 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Cant Wait!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 10:00:22 PM »
Boring. Zzzzzzzzz

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:58:14 AM »
Looks like it will be bi-timbral, judging by what looks like dual stereo outputs. Wonder if they’ve incorporated some T8 features.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 04:41:20 AM »
Boring. Zzzzzzzzz

:).. thread title was sarcasm
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 04:52:06 AM »
Looks like it will be bi-timbral, judging by what looks like dual stereo outputs. Wonder if they’ve incorporated some T8 features.

I just don't understand why Behringer is so obsessed with these lackluster knock-off synths.  I understand they are targeting the sub-premium market and focusing on inexpensive products, and I understand that some enthusiasts would prefer to buy lower cost items more frequently than to buy a premium product they'll want to keep for decades.  But, if that's their target buyer, wouldn't that segment of buyers be more interested in getting something new and shiny every year?  Why would that segment want to buy something thats "based on" another instrument, one that's been around for 40 years?

I think the DeepMind 12 was a good seller for them, no?   To me, that product makes more sense -- perhaps "inspired" by Juno, but not necessarily trying to rip off the appearance and sound directly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 04:54:15 AM by LPF83 »

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 09:48:33 AM »
Given the often ugly nature of B's biz practices, I'm not surprised that the synths he makes are also often quite unattractive. Except I AM surprised! The Prophet 5 is - for me - the most beautiful of synths. To see a proposed B version that looks like an elephant's idea of a pancake breakfast kinda does my head in.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
Given the often ugly nature of B's biz practices, I'm not surprised that the synths he makes are also often quite unattractive. Except I AM surprised! The Prophet 5 is - for me - the most beautiful of synths. To see a proposed B version that looks like an elephant's idea of a pancake breakfast kinda does my head in.

I think that's why I felt compelled to post those images.  Doing a knock-off of what is (I and many would agree with you) the most attractive synth ever made, and not even getting the basic aesthetics of the instrument right, just shows what a hack job their design process is.  Look at photos of the DM12, the UBXA, and this atrocity side by side... it appears to be the same basic case with minor differences.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »

I just don't understand why Behringer is so obsessed with these lackluster knock-off synths.  I understand they are targeting the sub-premium market and focusing on inexpensive products, and I understand that some enthusiasts would prefer to buy lower cost items more frequently than to buy a premium product they'll want to keep for decades.  But, if that's their target buyer, wouldn't that segment of buyers be more interested in getting something new and shiny every year?  Why would that segment want to buy something thats "based on" another instrument, one that's been around for 40 years?

I think the DeepMind 12 was a good seller for them, no?   To me, that product makes more sense -- perhaps "inspired" by Juno, but not necessarily trying to rip off the appearance and sound directly.

Because people feel entitled to be able to play expensive vintage instruments and feel that Sequential and Moog and their supporters are elitists who don't care about the "poor struggling artists" and Behringer are exploiting it. Even some of Sequential's supporters on YouTube were legit upset that the Prophet 5/10 reissues were as expensive as they are and felt it was "unfair."

These plebs need to buy helmets because life fucking hurts.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
Prototype of new product from upcoming Walmart catalog.  Sixty bucks out the door and you get sixteen free cans of canned sturgeon.  Marketing worked on the demo display sign, it reads "Instrument aint premium but the fish sure as fuck is" :)

Careful–even Walmart works with licensed brands.

The best response one can give is, "come on in, the water's warm." There are a lot of smaller manufacturers here in the US who are leveraging the current container freight situation, and its effects upon product availability, to their own advantage.

Having something on one's doorstep is infinitely more valuable than having an unfinished facsimile on one's social media feed(s).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:59:22 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »

Because people feel entitled to be able to play expensive vintage instruments and feel that Sequential and Moog and their supporters are elitists who don't care about the "poor struggling artists" and Behringer are exploiting it. Even some of Sequential's supporters on YouTube were legit upset that the Prophet 5/10 reissues were as expensive as they are and felt it was "unfair."

So the theory is that Behringer is catering to their sense of rebellion, and the "look-alike" design is almost a form of mockery or getting back at "the system"?  If that's the reason, then it's certainly an interesting psychological study.

Thing is, the reason so much great music was made in the golden age of synths is because musicians didn't spend all day whining on social media.  Some of them did whatever they had to do (even selling their car) to be able to afford a Prophet.  Or some of them found less expensive options like a DX7 or a Casio CZ.  Lots of great music was created with low-cost synths.  But the ones that put themselves on the map did so because they found enough inspiration in that instrument to go deep enough on it to create good things.

Personally, it is the inspiration I get from my Rev4 that makes it my favorite synth -- everything from the sound to the aesthetics to the feel of the knobs.

None of these low-cost clone synths from Behringer have sparked any sort of inspiration in me to buy them.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
Gee, if what's-his-face continues with his current business model, he just might put all the great synthesizer companies out of business.  Then he'd be out of designs to imitate in the ugliest ways and might actually have to invent another instrument of his own, rather than shamelessly borrow from the geniuses.  But as they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  So, I am pleased that what's-his-face so looks up to Dave Smith and his brilliant designs.

I once worked part-time in a machine shop, basically washing tractor parts and assembling them.  I didn't like the guy who ran it, and we often enough argued about things.  Then one day he took me to his office and showed me that he stole designs online and then produced them himself.  He actually used the word "pirate" in describing himself.  Perhaps he was saving his customers a pretty penny, but that certainly wasn't his motivation.  It didn't matter to me; I was disgusted by the attitude and the process.  Since then I've had a special loathing for the pirate-type and avoid them like the virus.

Similarities?  What similarities?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:04:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 01:40:29 PM »
...Oh, and that Prophet 16 is the ugliest Prophet synthesizer I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:02:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »

So the theory is that Behringer is catering to their sense of rebellion, and the "look-alike" design is almost a form of mockery or getting back at "the system"?  If that's the reason, then it's certainly an interesting psychological study.

Thing is, the reason so much great music was made in the golden age of synths is because musicians didn't spend all day whining on social media.  Some of them did whatever they had to do (even selling their car) to be able to afford a Prophet.  Or some of them found less expensive options like a DX7 or a Casio CZ.  Lots of great music was created with low-cost synths.  But the ones that put themselves on the map did so because they found enough inspiration in that instrument to go deep enough on it to create good things.

Personally, it is the inspiration I get from my Rev4 that makes it my favorite synth -- everything from the sound to the aesthetics to the feel of the knobs.

None of these low-cost clone synths from Behringer have sparked any sort of inspiration in me to buy them.

I’ve noticed that YouTube players who own Moog Ones, Quantums, Prophets, etc never go on other people’s channels and bash them for using lower tier gear or budget equipment. They are always supportive. People who play Behringer synths or budget gear in general religiously always seem to go on videos of Moog Ones, Prophet Xs, Quantums and bash the gear and the user out of spite.

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
...Oh, and that Prophet 16 is the ugliest Prophet synthesizer I've ever seen.

Indeed.  Even the Creamware Prophet clone managed to master the simple task of creating a simple wood box with knobs without it looking like the wood is a glue-on laminate pattern.  And I never felt like crapping on Creamware for the Pro-12, because at the time, Dave wasn't even offering proper Prophet synths so it seemed like a legitimate attempt to fill a market need.

Uli strikes me as someone who is certainly business savy, and longs so badly to have his name badge displayed on important musical instruments, alongside legends like Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim.... yet in his jealousy has made such petty career choices that despite any level of monetary success, he will always be regarded as a joke and industry reject, and the class clown that nobody respects.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 07:03:39 PM »
I'd love to see Sequential produce an improved version of the DeepMind 12.  Just move a few parameters around, add one more voice, call it the "Sequential DM 13," and set the price at $869.  If people complain, just say the competition is good for everybody and kids who don't have much money now have another choice of synthesizers.  I mean, what else matters?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:18:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 07:40:44 PM »
I'd love to see Sequential produce an improved version of the DeepMind 12.  Just move a few parameters around, add one more voice, call it the "Sequential DM 13," and set the price at $869.  If people complain, just say the competition is good for everybody and kids who don't have much money now have another choice of synthesizers.  I mean, what else matters?

I’d love to see Sequential get out of the whole reissue game all together. Now it’s become a pissing contest between Dave and Uli instead of innovation. If Dave does do an OBX reissue and then Behringer do their UBXa then this isn’t even exciting anymore. People are going to complain regardless about the prices of Sequential synths and Uli is going to be there to exploit that...why even play that game?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2021, 08:25:47 PM »
It was just a joke, like this whole thread.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »

Sometimes I feel a bit boring playing it so straight, but the reissued Prophet 5 is one of the loveliest things to happen in such a time of global anxiety. It's a truly beautiful instrument, simple as that. It's thrilling to look at, and of course to play. It sounds gorgeous. I feel lucky to have one right next to me. Whether I'm dull or not, the P5 has never been anything less than a profound source of excitement and musical mystery and buzz.

CPN37

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 01:11:11 AM »

Sometimes I feel a bit boring playing it so straight, but the reissued Prophet 5 is one of the loveliest things to happen in such a time of global anxiety. It's a truly beautiful instrument, simple as that. It's thrilling to look at, and of course to play. It sounds gorgeous. I feel lucky to have one right next to me. Whether I'm dull or not, the P5 has never been anything less than a profound source of excitement and musical mystery and buzz.

Hear hear!
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »